new here, the name's taylorjade :)

taylorjade.

Reaction score
hi there everyone,

i'm new to this website, i found it while searching for information on raising deaf children, my son who is 22 months old has a profound hearing loss and has bilateral cochlear implants.

my purpose for joining this site is to gain as much knowledge as possible that can help me to help my son. i do not have any hearing loss, and so i want to better understand his needs so he can live a happy successful life.

i look forward to being a member :)
thanks for reading!

-taylorjade.

Welcome! I'm curious, what methods of communication are you using with him? Are you teaching him any sign language? :)

Wirelessly posted

Welcome:)

Since you mentioned about raising deaf children, here's a good site: http://www.rit.edu/ntid/educatingdeafchildren/

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope that you are signing ASL or sign language to your 22 months son. Sign Language help to parents and hearing siblings communicate better with your son. Remember bilateral CI is only a tool to help hear some sounds, not perfect hearing. You will learn a lot about right here on AD. Only thing I am worry about is the trolling every time we talk about a topic and get changed to another topic in the same thread.

So have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Wirelessly posted

Bebonang said:
:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope that you are signing ASL or sign language to your 22 months son. Sign Language help to parents and hearing siblings communicate better with your son. Remember bilateral CI is only a tool to help hear some sounds, not perfect hearing. You will learn a lot about right here on AD. Only thing I am worry about is the trolling every time we talk about a topic and get changed to another topic in the same thread.

So have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

She is.

hello

My 14 month old daughter is 3 weeks post activation of her bilateral cochlear implants. Would be interested in hearing about your first year's experiences. :)

We hit sign language very hard and were lucky to start receiving signs back when she was 6 months. She continues to be a very expressive signed english girl for her age.

We've looked around on "the listening room" web site, and have been guided to the free web courses on the "john tracy clinic" site, but haven't done much with that just yet. We also have a teacher of the deaf who comes into the home one day a week.

CASE : http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/ehdi/cdrom/building/case_pr.html (or PSE) would probably be better than SEE. English is linear, I am not sure how well a deaf person would understand it as they are visual 3-d thinkers. I mean, there's plenty of us who struggle written English (rather we were oral only or use SEE) and we see/read it all the time in most of our life. Does that make sense? If you want to discuss this, you can start a new thread.

Back