New here HH

KimHH

Reaction score
Hi my name is Kim and I'm HH. I'm an adult student and are just having a hard time adjusting at school. It's hard to connect with others on campus due to my age and it seems some may be intimidated by me because of my aids/captioning in class/FM some people will not even talk to me. Just looking for involvement in DHH community around Bloomington/Normal and activities to do. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited:
picgifs-1-5e8709d713101fd5a2c06af2666a0a9d31013c3b.gif

My name is Kim too! Do you have sign language club at school? It is easier to meet people through that club because they are aware of what you are going through with your hearing loss. It is not a requirement to know sign language to join.

I know sign language but the club doesn't start up till Fall. I'm taking a summer course in ASL since it is a requirement of my major for Deaf Education but only one student actually knows how to sign.

I know sign language but the club doesn't start up till Fall. I'm taking a summer course in ASL since it is a requirement of my major for Deaf Education but only one student actually knows how to sign.

Did you try to talk to ASL department to see if you could skip this class and get a credit for knowing sign language? Is it too late? My brother skipped to third level of ASL at community college.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum. Enjoy reading and posting here. See you around. :wave:

Did you try to talk to ASL department to see if you could skip this class and get a credit for knowing sign language? Is it too late? My brother skipped to third level of ASL at community college.

I decided to take it because I have other learning differences and struggle with school so I thought by taking the classes it could even out my GPA if I don't do so well in another course. Otherwise yes I could test out of it. I'm already three weeks into the course and it's a six week course since it's summer.

I'm new here i recently did a hearing test and was told that im HOH and need hearing aids to help (both ears) so my husband got some and they ONLY work when there's little/NO back round noise. the doc says its more in likely from nerve damage.

I have a question: will I lose ALL my hearing or will it stay like this?

Please if any one knows anything.......anything at all i would be grateful
i did ask the doc this same question and she said she didnt know....

thanks

:wave: HI ! I went back to college when I was older and had a hard time fixing in too. The hearing students wanted nothing to do with me and I did not know any ASL so the deaf students had nothing to do with me either. I only knew 2 people that were going to college , but they were not in any of my classes. I hope you'll find a friend soon .
I had a college counselor that was hoh and she was helpful to me , do have any office for deaf and hoh students at your college?

They have an office that address all called Disability Concerns and your assigned a counselor so I have spoke to her and talked about how things will be better in the fall when other DHH students come and I'm going to join a club. I'm only in classes till mid July and then I'll go home till fall semester starts up so in just holding on.

They have an office that address all called Disability Concerns and your assigned a counselor so I have spoke to her and talked about how things will be better in the fall when other DHH students come and I'm going to join a club. I'm only in classes till mid July and then I'll go home till fall semester starts up so in just holding on.

I lasted 3 semesters until I got sick , I just decided I wanted to learn and didn't worry about making friends anymore after the second semesters. Most of the students were a lot younger and rather immature to me.
Some laughed at blind student when he almost sat in a chair that was being used . I thought that was so horrible , the poor guy felt bad enough without a some fools laughing at him. One fooled looked at me and I told him I didn't think it was funny!. I decided then not worry about making friends .

I lasted 3 semesters until I got sick , I just decided I wanted to learn and didn't worry about making friends anymore after the second semesters. Most of the students were a lot younger and rather immature to me.

Some laughed at blind student when he almost sat in a chair that was being used . I thought that was so horrible , the poor guy felt bad enough without a some fools laughing at him. One fooled looked at me and I told him I didn't think it was funny!. I decided then not worry about making friends .

Wow that's awful! Yeah it's not so much the friends but just having someone to talk too you know, especially when you have a difficult day.

Hey Kim! Feel free to add me on glide, my name is PYT AYSC.
Or Skype! JetSpy25
If you would like to chat! :)

Back