New here, hello!

JenneLynne

Reaction score
My name is Jenne. I live in Allentown, PA. I am hearing.
I began signing nearly 5 years ago when my daughter was born premturely. Early tests indicated she would be at best very hard of hearing. Although she has some hearing loss, she functions inthe hearing world without any accomidations. Her ability to listen however, is lacking :) - just like any nearly 5 year old I suppose. Signing was more beneficial with her because she had a comunication delay, in that she didn't speak until she was nearly 3, so signing was most useful.
I have lost much of my fluency over the last cople years, when we stopped signing in the home once she began speaking. But I recently enrolled in my first "for credit" college ASL class, and am picking it back up easily. I also attend area deaf culture events and classes to increase my receptive abilities and increase my vocabulary.
My eventual goal is to become an ASL interpreter. But that will take a while, only going to school part time.
I think that's enough about me for now.

jenne

:wave: Chips Ahoy and :welcome: aboard All Deaf, Ms Jenne and family, from the deep south, upstate Floriduh on the right coast.

Congratulations and Good Luck with your college course! :kiss:

Say Hi to Jack & Diane! :laugh2:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you will continue to sign with her for years to come and enjoy making the conversations with ASL with her. ASL is very important whether HOH or Deaf. You will find lots of informations and topics to choose so that you can discuss with us about our deafness experience. Anyway, I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

Hi, Welcome to AllDeaf, I am from Northampton, PA, which is not too far from Allentown!! Would you be interested in creating some sort of meet up for Deaf/HoH/ASL? I have been wanting to do this for a while, it would help with building community here. Or do you know if any events go on in the area already?

Great to meet someone from close to my town!

-Liz.

Back