New here from Iowa

Elliotts Dad

Reaction score
Hi all. My son who will be 3 in December has just been "officially" diagnosed with a severe hearing loss and will soon be fitted with hearing aids. We had suspected hearing problems for quite some time and he has been seeing a SLP through EI for the last 10 months. Initially she thought he was just apraxic. They are going to let him start pre-school a year early so hopefully he can catch up some with his speech. He seems really smart and probably has been fooling us with what he hears and understands for quite a while.

It has been quite a roller-coaster of emotions for us lately with all these tests, but the hardest for me was being with him while he was being put under.

ps. We also have a 17 month old who seems to have normal hearing.

Welcome to AD. :welcome:

Elliot is a handsome boy with a great smile. :D

Hello to you in Slater! I am another Deaf Iowan!

If you make it to the big city, I have a granddaughter (hearing) who does mall playdates. That is if you don't already have deaf adult role models in your life. :)

Thanks all. I'm sure my wife and I are going to be seeking a lot of advice as we start this journey with our son.

Welcome to AD. :wave: Always nice to see a parent reaching out, keeping an open mind and becoming full educated on this. :)

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you and your wife have lots of fun reading and posting all the threads here. Yes, please just stick with us and learn from us, Deafies. See you around here. :wave:

Hi from Iowa too

Hi there ED,
you may want to check in a see what Deaf Action Center of Iowa has going on.
Also a few websites that will be very helpful
lifeprint.com
aslpro.com
Des moines does have Deaf social events as well.
Im hearing and have been involved in the Deaf community for years.
My daughter(hearing) is 18 months old and has a sign vocab of about 30 signs.
I aslo host a ASL social in Newton once a month.
The group is just getting started.
we have mostly hearing people, with a few hard of hearing.
good place to get your ASL feet wet :lol:

Hi there ED,
you may want to check in a see what Deaf Action Center of Iowa has going on.
Also a few websites that will be very helpful
lifeprint.com
aslpro.com
Des moines does have Deaf social events as well.
Im hearing and have been involved in the Deaf community for years.
My daughter(hearing) is 18 months old and has a sign vocab of about 30 signs.
I aslo host a ASL social in Newton once a month.
The group is just getting started.
we have mostly hearing people, with a few hard of hearing.
good place to get your ASL feet wet :lol:

Thanks for the info!

Well we got Elliott fitted yesterday for hearing aids. He did really well. We are going with the Naidas and Elliott chose (kinda) the black and silver. We get them on the 12th and I can't wait to see his face when he wears them for the first time!

Hello to you in Slater! I am another Deaf Iowan!

If you make it to the big city, I have a granddaughter (hearing) who does mall playdates. That is if you don't already have deaf adult role models in your life. :)

Do you go to the play area at Merle Hay Mall? We've been going there lately on the weekends with this crappy weather. I was going to PM you but I dont have that option yet.

Back