New Here as well.

FxAvatar

Reaction score
Ok, I have already posted some of this in the late onset, but I wanted to echo it here and try to expand on what I tried to post and compress there.

I am 33 and I have always found that Sign was a beautiful language, and I have started to learn it from a few sources since I do not know of any Deaf people in my neighborhood or at work to learn from. I kind of started from watching ASL (or as I have learned is really SEE) music video’s on youtube (might I say, I love btw), then I started with a kids show I checked out at the library called Signing Time. I know it is for kids, but I am thinking of dragging my best friend’s daughter along with me on my path of learning, besides, I am learning many of the starting signs at this stage anyways.
I live in Kansas City, and the local CC has an ASL class listed, but it shows that it is taking no new students at this time, so I think they are ending the classes, still need to get details on this. One of the video’s had a link to these forums and I exploded onto it reading as much as I could before I broke down and joined. I have been reading as many posts as I can all weekend.

Originally, I started looking for info about the Deaf community to help my mother, but after reading some of the stories of Late Onset forum as well as many in the our life, our culture areas I am wondering about myself as well. I have always thought I was hearing fine, since what pulses of sound fading out and the ringing in my ears I thought was just a phase, after all, it would go away and I could hear everything clear again. I know that my family has a history of losing our hearing, but it is hard to get details as most view it as a secret that you just don’t talk about. My mother is the only one that I have any real numbers on, and at 25 she was about 25% loss in one ear. She said it got to about 50% in one ear by about 30-40 and the other one started fading at that time. Right now, she is at about 75% loss in one ear and about 50% or more in the other. Despite this, she refuses to get hearing aids. Since her hearing has been going in chunks for years I asked about her brother and sisters, and it seems they all have some degree of hearing loss as well. Her mother is all but deaf, and her father died young so I have no idea about his. Grandma is the only one that has HA’s, but HA’s give her nothing but basic recognition of sound, personally I think she lip reads since she will only understand you if you look right at her while she is looking right at you. My grandmother, and in most part my mother as well, look at the loss of hearing as the families hushed secret and it is not talked about. As I have grown older, I have found out from some of my cousins that my aunts and my uncle all have hearing loss to some degree as well, but most refuse to bring it up or discuss it, nor will my cousins really talk about if they have had any hearing loss.

Back in high school, I met my first Deaf kid, and we became friends as I learned about the Deaf community. He was HoH, but used sign for 90% of his conversations and I started to learn sign from him, it was the first time I had ever seen sign or that others had hearing loss, but at the time my hearing was fine so learning it was more of a past-time. Sadly, his parents moved him to a private school for the deaf not long after I started learning some of the basics and I lost contact. When I tried to teach my mother at the time some of the signs I had learned from him, after all, at this point, she was about 35ish% loss in one and almost none in the other, she rejected it as silly non-sense and that her hearing was not that bad, with nobody using sign, and typical high school issues of ridicule, I stopped my studies. Now, I am starting to notice that I am asking my friends to repeat what they say, and the random ringing tone in my ears (tell I read about this on this forums, I just thought it was part of my headaches or something)has been getting worse, I am wondering if I am following the same path as my mother.

I have not gone in to get checked out, half of lack of medical coverage since getting laid off from Sprint, and the other half is that if I am shown as having hearing loss, it could cost me my temp job, since I do over-the-phone tech support right now. I am going to start college again come January to get started on a change to a Bachelors degree in Computer/Electrical Engineering , I am hoping to run into a few who use sign or see if they I can get into a ASL class as well as my normal studies. Depending on if I can do both at once while working, I may wait a semester to make sure my head does not pop off..

I have started to learn sign again since I still think it is a beautiful language and I wish I had not stopped learning it when my friend moved away, but my main issue is how to convince my mother to start learning as well. I know that she is going to get worse based on her parents and older siblings, and she seems more open about her issues now that it has gotten to the point I have had to wire the stereo to the TV for her to hear it, and she is getting complaints about the noise.

Well, that about sums me up.. For now, i am still thinking of myself as a hearing person, but once I get the chance to get tested, I am thinking i may fall into HoH area.. meanwhile, I am going to try to learn all i can.

Well hello :) its nice that you're so interested in the Deaf Community :) hope you learn more about deafies here :) enjoy your stay :)

Thanks, for the warm welcome, it has been something of a crash course I have put myself on, and this site has been a great source of info for me.

After reading the "what I hate about hearies" I found I had been making some no-no's.. I am one of those annoying people that seem to lock gaze when I see someone signing. Despite not knowing 99.9% of the signs, I seem transfixed by someone who can use it, and find the gestures beautiful. Little did I understand that it ticks off those that are trying to have a private chat and here I am, seemingly ease-dropping. I have to say, the last few days I have learned a lot..

If anyone can answer this, I am wondering as I struggle with translating my thoughts from words to gestures, does is become more of muscle memory, or does those that do not have ASL as there first language struggle with the translation forever? or do you start to "think in gestures" after awhile?..

Thanks, for the warm welcome, it has been something of a crash course I have put myself on, and this site has been a great source of info for me.

After reading the "what I hate about hearies" I found I had been making some no-no's.. I am one of those annoying people that seem to lock gaze when I see someone signing. Despite not knowing 99.9% of the signs, I seem transfixed by someone who can use it, and find the gestures beautiful. Little did I understand that it ticks off those that are trying to have a private chat and here I am, seemingly ease-dropping. I have to say, the last few days I have learned a lot..

If anyone can answer this, I am wondering as I struggle with translating my thoughts from words to gestures, does is become more of muscle memory, or does those that do not have ASL as there first language struggle with the translation forever? or do you start to "think in gestures" after awhile?..

A general rule of seven years of constant practice will make you fluent.

also, would you say that going back to basics with "Signing time" as a good way to get started?.. or should I try to just jump right into taking classes. After all, I understand that you can learn the signs, but not the language unless you talk to someone that knows it.. or is it the other way around where I would drive someone crazy with them trying to teach me the language while i don't even understand the basic concepts of the signs. So far, it has been parroting Youtube videos, kids shows, and strange enough talking to myself in sign.. but I figured I would have to start somewhere while i still have most of my hearing.

I did have a wake up call that started this btw.. I had a few days out sick where I got so dizzy I had to call in sick a day.. and lost a good chunk of my hearing (didn't tell work that part, again, no med coverage and fear for loss of what job I could find right now).. I got it back a few hours later, but I figured it was my body warning me of things to come since my mom had talked about getting them when she was younger.

Well, I don't know much about Missouri hearing ways there. I do know that Missouri is very audist in getting Deaf and Hard of Hearing people to lipread and speech instead of sign language. It is sad to see that your family have kept secret about their hearing losses or deafness from them. This is very degrading and cruel for them to tell your family not to sign the ASL plus needing a special accommodations. I have never visit Missouri there. I am Catholic and I know some about their hearing ways. I am sorry that you all have been struggling and keeping secrets about your family hearing losses. :(

Right now I need to say - :welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you do have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Well, good news is that my local community college does offer sign classes. Drawback is that since I am going back to school this spring to get started on my degree, it seems it will be a while before I can take the class. Oo well, seems it is back to home study for a while.

:welcome:
check out and see if there are any Sign social meet ups in your area.
If not you can start your own. :D
the more ASL the merrier!
Also I am hearing and have been signing for 17 years,
and still have much to learn.
It is a fun challenge to learn and grow as effective signer as well as understanding and spreading awareness of Deaf Cultures do's and don'ts.
keep it up:wave:

Welcome!! I started teaching myself sign back in February of this year. (Love YouTube too.) Well, actually I learned the manual alphabet when I was a young girl and borrowed a book from the church library on Helen Keller. LOVED the book, and it had the manual alphabet in the back, so I memorized it. Always remembered it, but have now (at 49) decided to start to learn ASL for real. :P

I have found that through local churches there are Deaf ministries, or Deaf socials that can be found. Starbucks seems to be a popular site that I keep reading about. :) Or like ASLtees said, start your own. Go to meetups.com to get started.

I want to start taking actual classes, but not sure I can afford it... still checking out options. My contract on our job will be phased out within maybe 3-5 years, so I'm looking into other avenues... maybe interpreting?

Anyway... Welcome to AD!!

Thanks to the suggestion of Bottesini in the general chat (as well as a few here). :ty: After about 2-3 pages of junk links on google, I found KC American Sign Language (Kansas City, MO) - Meetup.com .
It is a small group that is starting up near where I live. It seems good for starters like myself, or others that are looking for practice. Now all I have to is tell everyone when I meet them about AD :lol: But ya, I can't wait tell next month to see how bad I am at sign.. The funny part is I was looking to pick up a webcam to see if I can use that for practice.

Back