New Hearing Aids?

Peach8321

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I figured I'd start here, before going to my audi.

I have had Phonak iLinkS aids (bilat) for around 10 years now. I use them with the Smartlink FM system that I've had for the same time period.

I have recently finished my last class as a student and thus FM system use has dropped (although I still like it for the car, sometimes phone, etc).

So I'm wondering - what else is out there? I have moderate-severe bilateral (don't know exact #'s) and as I'm in my late 20s, there's no way to get them paid for except by me (the current ones were from voc rehab).

So would it be worth talking to audi about new stuff? Anyone have recs for the best current aids? And what works with FM systems? I don't want to add a boot, so what has a built in fm system?

Thanks everyone! :wave:

Hey everyone,

I have had Phonak iLinkS aids (bilat) for around 10 years now. I use them with the Smartlink FM system that I've had for the same time period.

I have recently finished my last class as a student and thus FM system use has dropped (although I still like it for the car, sometimes phone, etc).

So I'm wondering - what else is out there? I have moderate-severe bilateral (don't know exact #'s) and as I'm in my late 20s, there's no way to get them paid for except by me (the current ones were from voc rehab).

So would it be worth talking to audi about new stuff? Anyone have recs for the best current aids? And what works with FM systems? I don't want to add a boot, so what has a built in fm system?

I have the water resistant Phonak Naida UP which the FM receiver is built in to the battery draw. I personally love them. The Naida SP would work for moderately severe. (you still have to buy the FM receiver separately tho)

I don't wear a Phonak but I do wear an Oticon Safari along with a streamer that lets me listen to my ipod and talk on the phone since it has bluetooth!!! there's other Oticon aid that are BTE which are similar to mine *same brand, different models*

JMHO, FM you really don't need out side of a classroom. i think they push FM so they can make more money.

Some people do like having the FM handy outside school/work.. like when traveling in the car, or eating out, in church, etc. It really depends on the person's lifestyles and preference.

I've considered getting a new FM set up so I can use both my CI and HA to listen to music or whatever at the same time (right now I can only use 1 device to directly plug into ipod and such, or use headphones but not ideal for a public setting).

what is wrong with simenen?? just curious?

oh yeah, Siemens is great too. grew up with that brand as an infant up to 4th grade so I still have my 1st hearing aids :) (left one works, the battery door on the right may need to be replaced since it was falling apart LOL)

Thanks y'all, I'll check into these and ask about them... I'm quite nervous about new aids, I have gotten used to my hearing, even if its not optimized!

Siemens are good, I have them. Mine are Siemens Reflex DSPs, but outside of Britain and the NHS, I think they are called Nitro, they work for moderate to profound loss.

Hey everyone,

I'm getting Widex 440 Fusion. I had thought of Oction and Phonak - Phonak though from my research on the Internet and discussion with dispensers have proven to work great for some and have problems for most six months in. I opted for the Widex as my dispenser raves about it, has experience in programming these and highly recommends them. I heard from others who wear them that they've been fantastic and they really love the sound quality. I have the same loss as you but my Avail (Starkey brand) just don't cut it for the type of work I'll be doing soon dealing with the public. Do your own research on the Internet, but I've found the Widex to have top ratings from wearers of the brand and dispensers/audis alike.

Laura

Back