New Guy...

DeafCapricorn

Reaction score
Hey everyone! New guy here...

My name is Brian. I'm 21 years old (will be in a few hours). I have profound-severe hearing loss. I try to explain to my family I prefer beng called deaf or hard-of-hearing; I hate the term hearing impaired.

I will be attending Concord University this semester, classes start on Jan. 22. I'm very excited, but nervous. (I graduated high school in 2005, but just now getting the nerve to attend college.) My declared major is Social Work.

Can't wait to get to know new people here. I do use sign language, but very little ASL, but would love to learn more... I use Pidgen's (PSE) because I grew up reading lips and being surrounded by hearing people.

Talk to you all later!!

Welcome! I'm a hardcore dork too! Where's Concord University? Does it have decent dhh accomondations? One thing I learned is that generic accomondations really don't cut in in college. Contact the disabilty office and see if C-Print can be used in class......that is SO SO much better then a stupid notetaker.

Sorry for being AWOL... but Concord U is in Athens, WV.

They are very good from having met with them about accomodating D/HH students. My Rehab counselor (who is trying to reopen my case) said they are one of the best public colleges for D/HH accomodations.

PS: Thanks for all the welcomes!

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf! Hope you'll continue to enjoy your stay here--;)

:wave:
~RR

You already got around and I'm sure you saw that this is a pretty kool place.

See you around! ;)

I am getting help with a vocational rehab counselor who is getting me ready to go back to college starting August so we can get everything in order before then. I have digital hearing aids but I don't know if they have that fm transmitter thing in them but I will be checking to see this week. if they do the professors at college will have to wear this microphone around their neck and it will transmit straight to my hearing aids like headphones or something, good luck with your studies!

I am getting help with a vocational rehab counselor who is getting me ready to go back to college starting August so we can get everything in order before then. I have digital hearing aids but I don't know if they have that fm transmitter thing in them but I will be checking to see this week. if they do the professors at college will have to wear this microphone around their neck and it will transmit straight to my hearing aids like headphones or something, good luck with your studies!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum!!! Hope you enjoy posting here and maybe you might find some information or any topics on many of our threads. :wave:

Steph9700, I am surprise that the digitial hearing aids have a microphone to put around the teachers' necks so that you can hear the sounds. I used to have that when I was in elementary and high school in a special classroom for the deaf and hard of hearing. I was mainstream. We just used the old fashion headphone connected to the boxes in front of our desks. The teacher had to speak to us with the microphone around her neck. But if you are in the regular hearing classroom, that is really different than in the special education classroom. Wow!!! Things have not change much like that. I am amazed. :eek3::cool:

I know... my Voc Rehab Counselor offered to get me an Audio FM System made as well.. but they just get aggravating for me... prefer terp or notetaker.

my hearing aids have a built in thing to hear a certain fm "station" if you will, so when the professor talks into the thing around his neck it will be like I have headphones on my head of him just talking to me. plus I will be on front row in each class so that will help too.

Back