New guy on the block

Schwagoo

Reaction score
Hello.

My name is Brian. I just joined the forum.

I experienced SSHL back in Feburary.

In about 24 hours I lost all hearing in my left ear. However, I am thankful that my right ear was totally unaffected.

I saw a couple of docs and started up on oral steroids, then had a steroid perfusion surgery where they injected steroids directly into my inner ear for a few hours 3 days in a row (combined with IV and oral steriods and oral antibiotics)..

I got back about 10% of my earing in the left year...which doesn't really do any good because I still have a constant ringing/roar sound that becomes very annoying in loud places.

This experience has made me want to learn ASL, and get involved in a deaf/hearing impaired organization in my area (southern Indiana) Anyone have a suggestion?

So enough about me. I look forward to spending some time here and getting to know everyone.

Thanks!
Brian

Hi Brian! :welcome: to AD! U have come to the right place to search for info on the Deaf community in your area. You can start a thread asking anything about what u want to learn. :)

Welcome, Brian.

Weird coincidence. I first learned of SSHL yesterday while driving my girlfriend to the airport. She was looking for news about the PDX flight cancellations and heard Dr. Drew talking about it, so she translated for me.

There are lots of reasons for it, but many constitute medical emergencies. Some are related to a form of stroke. Scary.

Thanks for your informative post. Hope we learn more from you.

Hello and :welcome: to AD! Hope this site helps you in any way. :)

Welcome, Brian.

Weird coincidence. I first learned of SSHL yesterday while driving my girlfriend to the airport. She was looking for news about the PDX flight cancellations and heard Dr. Drew talking about it, so she translated for me.

There are lots of reasons for it, but many constitute medical emergencies. Some are related to a form of stroke. Scary.

Thanks for your informative post. Hope we learn more from you.

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes SSHL happens to about 4000 people per year in the US. Most of the time the cause is never known. <-- my case is one of those
they can never really track down WHAT causes it. I was told it could be viral, a benign tumor (acoustic neuroma), or vascular (circulatory).

It only occurs in both ears in 2-4% of people with SSHL.

My doctor says he doesn't think I will lose hearing in my right ear. I say "How in the world can you say that, when you can't tell me what caused the hearing loss in my LEFT EAR!"...

But alas, I'm getting used to it and its all good.
:wiggle:

Welcome, the folks around here are great and most will share what ever resources they have when you ask questions.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Wow, that is scary when you have SSHL. I did not know about that at all and I am learning something from you and Chase. Like you said, just gotta get use to having all this noises in your head and try to live with it. I am glad you are using ASL to communicate with Deaf people and Hard Of Hearing(HOH). I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

Hello. I already had bilateral hearing loss, but in January of this year I had Ramsay Hunt syndrome which is related to reactivation of chicken pox virus and left side of my face was paralyzed and I lost much more hearing in left ear, which was my good ear. Face is somewhat recovering but hearing is permanent.:dunno2:

Back