New Girl. Hello :)

Heavenleigh

Reaction score
Hi,

I suppose I should start by telling my story. It's weird writing about my life in the hopes that maybe somewhere someone will understand me and what I go through on a daily basis. However maybe I will here...

I'm born and bred in Canada eh? haha. I have severe to profound hearing loss in my left ear and nothing in the right. My left ear is getting worse to the point where last November (2011) I woke up and couldn't hear anything with my hearing aid. I went in for a hearing test and they said it was all gone. I was devastated. They said they could try a steroid shot to the ear drum and maybe I would get some hearing back so I said 'Why not? What's the worst that could happen?'. It was a 50/50 chance. I got my hearing back but since then every so often I wake up and can't hear, usually every few months. So i just go with the flow now, I haven't gotten anymore shots. If its meant to be, it's meant to be right?

It wasn't discovered I was deaf till I was 4 years old. They said that if i was in fact deaf I wouldn't (shouldn't?) possess the language skills I had. I must have taught myself to lipread very early on in life or something. I was raised in an oral environment and attended mainstream schools. I'm trying to learn ASL now but it was never really allowed when I was growing up. I remember as a kid going to a couple ASL classes however once I started wanting to sign all the time my parents stopped with it. "We live in a oral/hearing world you need to be able to thrive in this world" Since I had no one to talk to and continue to use ASL I forgot it. Instead I spent many hours a week in speech therapy.

I'm not sure what else to say at the moment. But this is a part of my story, a small part nonetheless a part of me. There's many more chapters and maybe one day i'll share some more but for now...

Cheers :)

Hi and Welcome!

It's hard I know I went from hard of hearing to complete deafness overnight and understand where you're coming from. Nice to have you here, I'm sure you'll find lot's of similar stories and experiences to relate too!

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Have fun reading and posting here. See you around here. :wave:

Back