New generation Of CI!

Hanna_13

Reaction score
I just recived a email from Cochlear America, They have asked me to partipice in the survey for the next generation of CI.

I am curious what the next generation are

I just recived a email from Cochlear America, They have asked me to partipice in the survey for the next generation of CI.

The mind boggles! Probably something fully implantable.

I got an e-mail from them asking me to participate in a survey about telephone use and whether we would like to see resources on their website that would allow us to practice.

On the other hand....I hate to sound like a spoilsport, but just b/c a company is coming out with new stuff, it doesn't mean that it will be affordable or available to the average consumer. For example there are really high tech wheelchairs and prosethises that are available, which are WICKED good. Unfortunatly the gross majority of insurances don't cover them.

On the other hand....I hate to sound like a spoilsport, but just b/c a company is coming out with new stuff, it doesn't mean that it will be affordable or available to the average consumer. For example there are really high tech wheelchairs and prosethises that are available, which are WICKED good. Unfortunatly the gross majority of insurances don't cover them.

Do you have a cochlear implant? NO! So you don't know anything! You think you know everything. You sound like a broken record with EVERYTHING you say. It's getting very OLD! :roll:

This is not the same thing! Cochlear Implants are always improving. It's not about real cool gadgets! It's about improving cochelar implants to hear! What's wrong with that?! Nothing surgical or prosthetically is affordable to the average consumer. Your comparison doesn't make any sense!

You're always a spoilsport for everything about cochlear implants.

Excuse me.....No I am not. I knew I was going to get attacked. It's just a simple fact. People can hear pretty decently with the current technology. Why the hell should a health insurance pay for the gold standard of something? Trust me.....I have a feeling that all but the most generous health insurances(ie like the ones that currently cover hearing aids) will NOT cover the new generation. It's like........why do you need a Sun Microsystem computer when you can do the same work on a plain ol' laptop?
Trust me.....I know how CEOs and managed healthcare people think.

What's so wrong with improving technology to hear? Why should it stay ancient?

why do you need a Sun Microsystem computer when you can do the same work on a plain ol' laptop?
that sounds like a Luddite... almost. So are you saying something like - "if it ain't broke.... then don't fix it"? as in... if a plain ol' hearing aids are fine, don't bother continuing to make better upgrades? better technology?

I guess you won't be saying that for new CI/HA in.. say 2015 if it's nearly human ear-quality level.

Well I'm one of them. I don't want new technology I better hurry up and try get my other ear implanted with same CI I have in left ear.
Reasons: I do not want it to sound any different than my left ear. Plus I'm prelingual deaf I would not know if its better I'll think it sound different and I might not like it, and unknown potential new risks involved and no long term study on any new designs. And it'll be like brand new phone came out and everyone got it but turned out it have so much issues that need to be fixed to get it right and died on you early, only so much people'll be patient with it and wait till it get straighten out or replaced with new one. Or other people'd tossed it and not use it again, or get something else.
Plus it's more of an appeal toward late-deafened people and babies to get much closer to normal human hearing than it is for adults that's deaf from birth.
For me new technology :thumbd: not for me I rather stick with one I have I'm happy with it and much safer and I know it work very well and sound 10x better than "normal" I've been hearing with hearing aid whole life.

SkullChick - what you're talking about is "early adopter" phase. It is pretty much a well-known fact that the first phase of new technology is buggy and unproven. It's best to go into it during its "middle" phase... or just a previous version of it. It'd be really nice if my hearing capability is near-human level but I wouldn't jump in to get the newest technology. I'd be weary of it like you.

You know, I'm not even sure what the OP meant. The IMPLANT itself OR the Processor?

There's two big differences. The Freedom implant just came out last year. So, that's fairly new technology. Why would they switch quickly to another one? If it's new processors, it makes sense. They're always tweaking new things here and there. I think it would be cool to see Cochlear come up with some sort of t-mic like AB, and AB to have the ability to use regular batteries. Some people prefer regular batteries, other prefer rechargeable. I personally prefer regular, but I am using rechargeables from time to time. If there's ever an emergency that arises, I can go to the supermarket and use regular batteries...works just the same.

As for near-human level - what do you mean by that? I would say half of the CI users has that type of level. I can hear everything on the 10db line, so you could say that I hear better than hearing people. It's the COMPREHENSION and DISCRIMINATION that makes or breaks on how a CI'er is successful and can be near-hearing person.

I know there's a few out there that has 90 to 100% sentence discrimination. Others are lower. Either they didn't grow up with AVT training, didn't do the training exercises, or just don't care (my friend doesn't give a hoot's ass about it. She just want to hear music better).

Jiro - I think even if there's a new technology like this, there will be a lot of studies before it can be open to the public. Yes, it *may* be buggy, but that's a risk you take. It's not as if you're doing the first phase of the study.

I believe it's competition among the companies. What if they all merged? lol

Yes, they are now coming up with a better BTE processor for my Platinum generation. It took them about 6 years or should I say 7 years since it's supposed to come out in 2009. Since my our implant doesn't work with the Harmony.

AB explained to me that they didn't want to use regular batteries because it's like cellphones and digital cameras use rechargable batteries. I don't know, but like you said, some will prefer regular batteries. I think it's okay as long as the regular batteries are recycled because I can tell that it will use a ton of batteries.

In their booklet, they explained that they took into consideration to have our CI have a way to work if power is not available. I don't know how. Our BTE doesn't have that capability. The only way is to use the BTW processor that has a different battery case for regular AA batteries, and it's bigger.

The companies probably cannot use the same technology if it was already invented by the other company, which is the case with the T-Mic.

As for near-human level - what do you mean by that? I would say half of the CI users has that type of level. I can hear everything on the 10db line, so you could say that I hear better than hearing people. It's the COMPREHENSION and DISCRIMINATION that makes or breaks on how a CI'er is successful and can be near-hearing person.

I know there's a few out there that has 90 to 100% sentence discrimination. Others are lower. Either they didn't grow up with AVT training, didn't do the training exercises, or just don't care (my friend doesn't give a hoot's ass about it. She just want to hear music better).
Yup. For now - CI is the best you can get for near-human quality. What i mean about near-human quality is that yes it's the comprehension and discrimination. I forget how many sound channels that human ears have but they say human ears is equivalent to around 8 channels (I could be wrong) and HA is only about 2-3 channels which is why when we listen to people talking to us, it sounds like :blah:. CI can overcome this obstacle but not to the point where you can discern the difference between each musical chord.

Jiro - I think even if there's a new technology like this, there will be a lot of studies before it can be open to the public. Yes, it *may* be buggy, but that's a risk you take. It's not as if you're doing the first phase of the study.
Yes clinical studies and lab tests but still not proven. These are only good enough to pass the FDA regulation. It would be proven if tested by hundreds of thousands consumers on large scale.

HA is only about 2-3 channels which is why when we listen to people talking to us, it sounds like :blah:

LOL, so true. It just brought memories from HA days lol.

I would guess they need some imput into what is working and what needs improvement for future programming options. They really need imput from those who have the implants and the larger the number of people who want a certain thing the easier it is for them to decide what the next focus should be. Smart sounds 2 focused alot on music perception and is now available. If you've been using SS2 mapping stratigies then they are interested in what you think works and what you would like to see in future programs. They really want to work with and for their customers.

Yup. For now - CI is the best you can get for near-human quality. What i mean about near-human quality is that yes it's the comprehension and discrimination. I forget how many sound channels that human ears have but they say human ears is equivalent to around 8 channels (I could be wrong) and HA is only about 2-3 channels which is why when we listen to people talking to us, it sounds like :blah:. CI can overcome this obstacle but not to the point where you can discern the difference between each musical chord.

Yes clinical studies and lab tests but still not proven. These are only good enough to pass the FDA regulation. It would be proven if tested by hundreds of thousands consumers on large scale.

My daughter was getting new aides 2 or 3 yrs ago and she got the 6 channel digitals. so HA's do have up to 6 channels now.

You can't tell the difference between chords? Hmm. Maybe it does make a difference in how well one heard music before the hearing got so bad because I can. Oh well. everyone is different. :)

My daughter was getting new aides 2 or 3 yrs ago and she got the 6 channel digitals. so HA's do have up to 6 channels now.

You can't tell the difference between chords? Hmm. Maybe it does make a difference in how well one heard music before the hearing got so bad because I can. Oh well. everyone is different. :)
oh? 6 channels? I actually don't know how many channels mine has. I mean - there are some instruments (especially wind instruments) that have chords with small differences between each other - can be heard by hearing person but not by HA/CI (not always but generally).

I would guess they need some imput into what is working and what needs improvement for future programming options. They really need imput from those who have the implants and the larger the number of people who want a certain thing the easier it is for them to decide what the next focus should be. Smart sounds 2 focused alot on music perception and is now available. If you've been using SS2 mapping stratigies then they are interested in what you think works and what you would like to see in future programs. They really want to work with and for their customers.

Yep, that's true. For my generation who can only use Platinum BTE (not Harmony), they relied on others for inputs. I really appreciate everyone who participates because they do have some ideas that I never think of that I then realize I do need!

Actually, the Freedom was released in mid 2005. I know this because I was several months shy of being implanted (left ear) with the Freedom versus the N24.

Oh really? I didn't realize that it was a couple years old. Interesting because all my friends that has CI has the N24 Contour (except one, who has N24).

I'm the only one with Freedom Implant.

Interesting...:-D

Back