New from Texas

Whysper

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm a Txeas girl who's late deafened since high school. Don't know how or why, my audi thinks it's all the loud noise I was exposed to. But I have friends who are unaffected? I don't wear heating aids because of the expense and I am not motivated to use them, so I came here to get an idea on how a hard of hesring person handles the hearing world. Some of you say it's horrible, I just don't see it? Thanks!

How bad is your hearing loss? Do you qualify for the Deafness Tuition Waiver? Do you know about the Waiver? From what you have written, I'm guessing your loss is very mild. Wait till your in a group and you don't understand a word that's being said.

How bad is your hearing loss? Do you qualify for the Deafness Tuition Waiver? Do you know about the Waiver? From what you have written, I'm guessing your loss is very mild. Wait till your in a group and you don't understand a word that's being said.

Yes I do, it was applied a little late on the remaining semesters in college. Im hard of hearing and generally hear spotty, just enough to understand I suppose. I was told it would decline over time, but the thing is when my audi had me try a hearing aid, it was so loud they made me catty. That was a few years ago, guess it's time to revisit the idea of getting them.

I'm hard of hearing, I've had mid hearing loss since I was a kid and it kept getting worse, it isn't so bad but I struggle with conversations sometimes. I'm supposed to wear my hearing aids but they have begun to give me a headache from how loud everything is when I use them. It is harder without them I need to really focus and read everyones lips so it does get really tiring after a while but sometimes I like my quiet little world.

I'm hard of hearing, I've had mid hearing loss since I was a kid and it kept getting worse, it isn't so bad but I struggle with conversations sometimes. I'm supposed to wear my hearing aids but they have begun to give me a headache from how loud everything is when I use them. It is harder without them I need to really focus and read everyones lips so it does get really tiring after a while but sometimes I like my quiet little world.

Hearing aids aren't like glasses in that you only use them when you think your going to need them. You need to wear them all the time so your brain gets used to the amplification and doesn't "give you a headache from how loud everything is when I use them!" With continuous use your brain will get used to the added amplification.

If you get a Phonak hearing aids, also get a Compilot. You will be able to adjust the volume a bit with the Compilot. Also, you will be able to Bluetooth your phone into your aid's, plus it has a lapel mic. If cost is an issue, contact D.A.R.S., they will help with the cost. It is not income based either. I'm attending Cisco College now, and use these items every class.......

:wave: Whsyper
I'm hoh, started being aware of hearing changes about 6 years ago that I know of. I have issues in noise, on the phone, in some group conversations and overall when something isn't optimal with the acoustics. In my previous retail job I was answering the phone for a quite a while and then it seemed either because of my hearing <I was turning the volume up but it's possible I forgot occasinally to turn it back for the others> and\or in relation to my LD, I was told I could no longer talk on the phone.
I mainly answered customer questions about product and did some light cleaning, light stocking, organizing. I'm also a dog trainer and animal shelter volunteer.

I do not have aids partly cuz of finances and as my husband with severe "loss" and working full time in a customer-heavy environment <including on the phone> needs them also, and he's had loaners for about a year, maybe more.

:wave: Hi! I was born hoh and been wearing hearing for 61 years , I got my first HA when I was 8 yo . I bet you don't know how old I am . :giggle: I would be lost without my HA , I would rather been born with hearing life would had been a lot easier for me and a lot of kids that were born HOH or deaf in the 40's .

May be I say I lucky 34 years hearing the rest sudden deaf.thrown in at deep end mine due to septcemia.
You welcome here

Reba, that was old back in March 3, 2015. I don't know if she can respond to you after all those months. I don't know if she is or was around here. :hmm:

P.S. I checked her profile and she did posted two more for this month. Altogether she had posted 5 of them so far since then. That is why I thought that she was or is not around on AllDeaf. I do hope she keep on posting some more posts. Don't give up.

:welcome: to AllDeaf Forum, Whysper. I hope you enjoy reading and posting here if you are going to be here often. Have fun. :wave:

Back