New from SUNY Suffolk

mybudgieloki

Reaction score
My name is Vanessa and I'm studying to be an ASL interpreter. Hopefully I'll be able to use this skill to assist people who are non-verbal in my agency to communicate through sign, and teach the staff so that they understand. I work for an agency that cares for developmentally disabled and mentally retarded individuals, in group home environments. It would be great to break the barrier between staff and non-verbal persons so that they can get the right assistance.

I got started in ASL in 3rd grade after meeting a girl who was deaf. I went to the elementary school's library and took out two books on sign. From there I taught myself the alphabet and some basic words, but never really went anywhere with it. In my sophomore year in high school, ASL I was offered, and didn't learn anything I didn't already know.

Finally in college I took ASL I as an extra credit (was going for a geology degree) and it helped a lot. I took a break from school and shortly after got a job with the agency I'm with now. After being there for a year I decided to go back to school and get a degree in ASL, to help the agency progress.

With any luck I hope to become fluent in sign, but I have one set back. I have no one to practice with. The only friend I know that knows a little sign is about 20 miles away from me. I hope that by coming here I can use web-cam chat to talk to deaf and hearing people with sign.

I thank you in advance.

*I didn't realize my Skype account wasn't linked to online status, it's fixed and I can receive calls now

Last edited:
Welcome to AD Vanessa...:wave:

Hope to see you around...

Happy Birthday btw....just noticed that under 'birthdays'

Back