New from Ohio

Drumphan

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to post a quick introduction. My name is Bob, I am 38, ok closer to 39, but you know how that is, and I am hearing. I have wanted to learn sign since I was a kid. I actually used to check out books from the library on signing when I was young, but I never had anyone help me, and as a kid, trying to figure out what the heck those pictures in those books meant was a bit overwhelming, so I never learned much. But now that I've had some instruction and am a bit smarter, I'm very interested in learning as much a I can - not only about signing, but culture as well. I am very curious about how things are viewed from the Deaf perspective, so I was really excited when I found this board and, after reading some of the previous posts, realized this might be a good place to get some answers. I have lived here in northeast Ohio my whole life and only within the last 4 years or so have I even had any contact with anyone deaf, and even then, it is usually a quick exchange with pen and paper or signing accompanied by exaggerated mouthing of the words being communicated, but I hope to change that. So my ultimate goal is to become more educated in ASL, learn more about d/Deaf life and culture and possibly make some new friends!

Thanks for taking the time to read this... ended up not being so "quick" though. :P

-Bob

My question to you is, how can you live in those cold winters up there? It's practically below freezing almost every night. My aunt and cousins live on the south end of Ohio. I don't get it...

Thank you all for the welcome. I'm excited to be part of this community!

@deafdrummer - I don't get it either! LOL! Honestly, when it comes to the cold weather, I guess you just get used to it. But believe me, even though many of us have lived here for a long time, if not our whole lives, we still gripe and complain about the upcoming winter weather every fall. I'm actually hoping once I get done with college, I'll find a job somewhere much warmer than Ohio. I really don't like the cold, I just tolerate it. And I love the snow! Hate the cold, love the snow...makes sense, right? :hmm:

Back