New from North Carolina

THATDEAFGIRL

Reaction score
I am deaf with cochlear implant and losing my eyesight from usher syndrome. I have no clue where to get help with assistive devices or resources etc. I have tried contacting places here in NC and no responses... nothing and I am so frustrated and need help or advice on what to do...if u need more info ask me if u can help out

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using AllDeaf App mobile app

:wave:...there are many well-informed members here from NC....and feel sure they will be able to help you!....Welcome aboard.

I am deaf with cochlear implant and losing my eyesight from usher syndrome. I have no clue where to get help with assistive devices or resources etc. I have tried contacting places here in NC and no responses... nothing and I am so frustrated and need help or advice on what to do...if u need more info ask me if u can help out

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020T using AllDeaf App mobile app
Where for art thou? I'm handy with a computer and a search engine. I may have some luck (and old contacts).

If you are near Charlotte- I have the contact info for VR here-- really nice people- I don't know how much help they would be but they also may be able to direct you to other resources.

Eeekkk....... How old are you? Are you still in school? I know deaf ed in NC REALLY does suck! Could you go to the Helen Keller National Center maybe?

I keep trying to post a response but this app keeps closing on me while typing n going to home screen... I am using my cell n getting frustrated... anyone have this same problem with this app?

35yrs old n graduated college when 21yrs old...VR helped me back then but recently asked em for help to go back to college n maybe get job but they can't help cuz I deaf n going blind... they said I need special counselor that deals with these situations.. have called

My girlfriend who didn't want to go to the Helen Keller National Center until she turned in late 30's. She decided to go to the Helen National Center. She realized that she wished that she did go there years ago in her 20s. Have you ever visit the Helen National Center before? They teach you how to be independent, and lead you to see what you are capable of. My girlfriend is more happier than before after she went to the HK center.

I have never been there n its exactly wat I need... please send me all info...I went to regular schools my whole life n grew up in hearing world

My girlfriend who didn't want to go to the Helen Keller National Center until she turned in late 30's. She decided to go to the Helen National Center. She realized that she wished that she did go there years ago in her 20s. Have you ever visit the Helen National Center before? They teach you how to be independent, and lead you to see what you are capable of. My girlfriend is more happier than before after she went to the HK center.

I have never been there n its exactly wat I need... please send me all info...I went to regular schools my whole life n grew up in hearing world

I trying to check out website but doesn't work well on cell n hard to c page..but yeah I went to preschool at 2yrs old to learn sign language n started wearing hearing aids n after couple yrs doc said to stop signing n speak... started regular school n speech therapy everyday for 5yrs n forgot sign language..my hearing gradually got worse till almost completely deaf at 21yrs old...I immediately had cochlear implant n kinda went downhill after that...

North Carolina School for the Deaf is in Morganton, NC they may be able to point you int he right direction for the resources you'll need.

I trying to check out website but doesn't work well on cell n hard to c page..but yeah I went to preschool at 2yrs old to learn sign language n started wearing hearing aids n after couple yrs doc said to stop signing n speak... started regular school n speech therapy everyday for 5yrs n forgot sign language..my hearing gradually got worse till almost completely deaf at 21yrs old...I immediately had cochlear implant n kinda went downhill after that...

Jeez, that angers me SO much!!!! It's a common story....I wish the experts would THINK about all the possible possibilities, instead of automaticly assuming that all a dhh kid needs is speech and hearing world stuff.....For the lurkers out there.....THIS is why we're pro ASL/pro full toolbox.....So that ALL the bases are covered, and a dhh kid can have all the tools possible. Why is that such a controversial position? Very few people I know think that dhh kids should all be voice off with no speech skills/no exposure to the hearing/mainstream world at ALL.... We're just arguing that some time at a specialized school/program, and instruction in specialized methodologies could REALLY help kids REALLY achieve instead of doggy paddling. We haven't done that great educating and employing all those kids in the past who were mainstreamed and oral, with very little exposure to the dhh world........How come unemployment levels are still so high?

North Carolina School for the Deaf is in Morganton, NC they may be able to point you int he right direction for the resources you'll need.

Yeah, I know that the school isn't very good, but at the same time at least they might be able to nudge you towards VR counselors for the dhh, and that Helen Keller program.......

I tried Wilson school for deaf n no help at all n tired of it all...they all keep giving me the run around

Back