New Device Allows For Hearing With Tongue...

Interesting. When I get to a point where HA's don't work I am not interested in a CI. Their approach of something non-surgical, non-permanent that you can just take out if you don't want to use it any more is more appealing.

Interesting. When I get to a point where HA's don't work I am not interested in a CI. Their approach of something non-surgical, non-permanent that you can just take out if you don't want to use it any more is more appealing.
It's very interesting , I don't want a CI either and if it get to the point that I can't wear a HA is my left ear I would try this. I can only wear one HA now .

Interesting, but it doesn't look very convenient. I noticed that the voiceover said that it might be useful for people who are losing their hearing, which seems like the focus market is for late-deafened older folk.

Can a user eat and drink, and "hear" at the same time with it?

I think they have a lot of work left to do.

Interesting, but it doesn't look very convenient. I noticed that the voiceover said that it might be useful for people who are losing their hearing, which seems like the focus market is for late-deafened older folk.

"At the moment, the device is pretty hefty, but the researchers are hoping to eventually develop a smaller mouthpiece that’s like a retainer, which wouldn’t be visible. They also believe it shouldn’t cost more than $2,000, which is significantly cheaper than cochlear implants. There’s much more work to be done, but for now, the team is focusing on mapping the nerves on the tongue so that the researchers can select the best places to stimulate." This is from the link , they're still working on and it will be a smaller mouthpiece .
People won't be able to see it and you should be able to eat and drink with it on. If this really works it will be amazing .

"At the moment, the device is pretty hefty, but the researchers are hoping to eventually develop a smaller mouthpiece that’s like a retainer, which wouldn’t be visible. They also believe it shouldn’t cost more than $2,000, which is significantly cheaper than cochlear implants. There’s much more work to be done, but for now, the team is focusing on mapping the nerves on the tongue so that the researchers can select the best places to stimulate." This is from the link , they're still working on and it will be a smaller mouthpiece .
People won't be able to see it and you should be able to eat and drink with it on. If this really works it will be amazing .
I understand about the device becoming like a retainer (I had one after I finished with my braces). What I don't understand is how a person would use it while eating. It seems like the eating process would interfere with feeling the vibrations on the tongue. I guess they'll figure it out.

I understand about the device becoming like a retainer (I had one after I finished with my braces). What I don't understand is how a person would use it while eating. It seems like the eating process would interfere with feeling the vibrations on the tongue. I guess they'll figure it out.
I was thinking that too that why I said If this really works it will be amazing. LOL! I would think you would be hear and feel yourself chewing while wearing it .

Back