New Deaf, and new to AllDeaf

Rory

Reaction score
Hello!

I am new here as well. I joined this site hoping I would find someone to relate to, someone to understand. You see, in my town and school, no one I know of is deaf. I am losing my hearing more and more, and a recent accident made it so I am aware of any noise made, but I can’t make out the words of people and such. Specifics I can’t really identify. It’s hard.

I’ve been studying sign language, and my friends attempt to study with me, but it’s hard for them. After all, we’re early in our teens, and, at this age, work ethic is usually low. I don’t blame them. They try, but it’s not their job to learn. And, no matter what, they can’t understand what’s happened to me. I hope that this site will lead me to find people who can understand. Middle school is hard enough with hearing; being hard of hearing doesn’t help.

I think you all are superheroes. I can’t imagine having a lifetime of reading lips and everything that comes with loss of hearing. You’re amazing. I don’t know how I’ll make it, being deaf in a hearing society, a hearing school.

-R

:wave: Welcome aboard!...ur "not alone" here at AD...I'm sure lots of other members will be able to relate...

Welcome to AllDeaf (AD) Rory :wave:

You might like to read the Adjustment to late onset deafness thread here (a "sticky" in the 'Our World, Our Culture' forum in the Deaf Community section)
http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/62953-adjustment-late-onset-deafness.html

It's a very long thread with contributions written by many different people over the last couple of years. The common theme is how people are coping (or not coping) with losing their hearing. When I first joined AD, I spend two or three days reading it and found it very helpful. The best thing about it is that you'll see that there are many other folks who are going (or have been) through a similar experience to you.

You're not alone, and if you stick around and participate, you'll find people here who understand exactly what you're going through and want to help you in your journey.

Best wishes,
AJW

Welcome to AD Rory,

Don't worry, the superhero new smell wears off after a while. Deep down most of us are just like you. I know you are going through a really tough transition. Don't worry, we will do our best to pick you up if you fall down. Ask us any question you want, but be prepared for some really honest answers. I look forward to hearing more from you.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

By the way, you are not alone. Welcome to the club. :)

Hey Rory.......where are you located? Although you're postlingally hoh you might want to see about things like Deaf Schools or Dhh regional programs, where you could learn ASL. It's not too unusual for kids to go to deaf schools/programs being oral and knowing NO ASL, and then becoming ASL whizzes. There are also summer camps and a plethora of oppertunites for young teens.

Hi my name is Jen, and i too am a teen, i've suffer from severe anxiety, and a way for me to be able to talk to my teachers i use sign languaage, i am still in the process of learning so if you need any help, or maybe we could help each other... let me know you can add me.. :)

@deafdyke: I'm in Southern Cali, we're thinking of looking at schools since this is pretty permanent. I might stay at hearing school, though, since I cope and I like it there.

@Jen: Sure! Just added you!

Okay, I don't know if I just suddenly have a low IQ or something, but I cannot figure out how to do a blog entry/post... HELP?

@deafdyke: I'm in Southern Cali, we're thinking of looking at schools since this is pretty permanent. I might stay at hearing school, though, since I cope and I like it there.

@Jen: Sure! Just added you!

Rory, that's awesome!!!!!! They do have dhh programs at hearing schools which can be awesome. Ask your school about those....and there's the school for the Deaf too. California School for the Deaf, Riverside (CSDR) | California School for the Deaf, Riverside (CSDR) offers comprehensive eductional and extra-curricular programs that prepare students to achieve their full academic, social, and career potential.
And I mean there are Deaf camps where you can learn ASL etc...I think that would be right up your alley!

Hello!

I am new here as well. I joined this site hoping I would find someone to relate to, someone to understand. You see, in my town and school, no one I know of is deaf. I am losing my hearing more and more, and a recent accident made it so I am aware of any noise made, but I can’t make out the words of people and such. Specifics I can’t really identify. It’s hard.

I’ve been studying sign language, and my friends attempt to study with me, but it’s hard for them. After all, we’re early in our teens, and, at this age, work ethic is usually low. I don’t blame them. They try, but it’s not their job to learn. And, no matter what, they can’t understand what’s happened to me. I hope that this site will lead me to find people who can understand. Middle school is hard enough with hearing; being hard of hearing doesn’t help.

I think you all are superheroes. I can’t imagine having a lifetime of reading lips and everything that comes with loss of hearing. You’re amazing. I don’t know how I’ll make it, being deaf in a hearing society, a hearing school.

-R
hi if you need a friend to relate with am there for you okay?
my email is den_brown19yahoo.com

you can send me your email add or chat id as well so we can get to know each other better.

i like your sincere talk hope to be your friend so we can support each other,been deaf is not the end of the world and am sure we have long ways to go in life my email is den_brown19@yahoo.com if you don/t mind

Back