New and introducing myself

Samantha_kathy

Reaction score
Hello everyone :wave: I thought I'd introduce myself now that I've registered.

I'm a hearing person and no-one in my immediate family is deaf, but about a year ago I was helping in my mother's store where I got to talking to one of her frequent costomers. He is hard of hearing (uses hearing aids) and his wife is completely deaf. In our conversation, I mentioned to him that I would rather lose my hearing than my sight, for I believed that it would be easier to adapt to being deaf than being blind, as well as the fact that I believed that a deaf person is far more able to get around as it were than a blind person. (Also, I love to read and would hate to lose that.) He replied by saying that his wife wishes just the opposite, she would rather be blind than deaf, for she believes that being deaf cuts her off from much of the world. He gave an example of her being in the train when they used the intercom to tell everyone to get out because the train was broken. She didn't know what was going on when everyone left, because she hadn't heard it.

It's a conversation that still plays around in my head. It's also what started me on my journey that eventually brought me here, even though I have not spoken to this man since then. At first, I just started to notice things pertaining to being deaf around me, like people knowing sign language in tv shows (Grissom in CSI, Gibbs and Abby in NCIS). It was when I was watching some re-runs from CSI, where Grissom is losing his hearing, that I realized that most of the people depicted in fiction (whether it be tv or books) that are either deaf or becoming deaf don't want to be deaf, feel it is deficient, fight against it basically. I started wondering if there was another opinion, for I still felt (and feel, to be frank) that being deaf is not such a big deal (no disrespect meant, but I don't see it as a big handicap as so many people do, for aside from not hearing sound, there is nothing wrong with deaf people).

I started searching for other opinions and ended up here, where I lurked and read for quite some time. I discovered that yes, a lot of people do not have a problem with being deaf, are in fact, quite proud to be Deaf. I, as a writer (of both original and fanfiction stories) and avid reader, then started to search for fiction that showed that side of the coin. Actually, I started doing this after reading a comment in a thread (don't remember which one) that said something along the lines of: I wish people would write about characters who are deaf, instead of deaf characters. The pickings were meager, to say the least. There were some good stories out there about accepting to be deaf, but not much about a character who was deaf. Actually, fanfiction is where I found the closest story with viewpoint I had been looking, a Sentinel story where the author had written the main character as blind and mute and from his POV, where the handicap was just a part of him, not the plot. But as for a book or story where a deaf character is playing a big part without it being about being deaf, I still haven't found it.

Anyway, a long story short, after reading so much threads here, I decided to stop lurking and just join you all. :roll: How I manage to be shy even from behind a computer I will never know...

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I guess you got interested in reading into our deaf and hard of hearing experiences and here you are. You are welcome to read and post all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

I am not deaf but hoh. When I went to the audiologist I figured it was maybe wax in my ear or just something they could fix. But when the lady brought out the catalog for hearing aids I felt like the world was on fast forward and I couldn't get my bearings. She said Oticon Dual would be best for me but to me they were huge now I look back in comparison they are actually quite small. I keep my hair cut short and was afraid people will see so I protested and they gave me the Oticon Dual mini now that I have had them for almost a year I am kinda wishing they had given me the original ones.

I went home and they made my ears itch like crazy, I was always thinking people would see and they made me feel weird. I stopped wearing them except when I went to the movies or somewhere I knew I needed to actually hear what people were saying. Just recently I have accepted that without them my life seems muffled and I am missing out on so much. I love music, I am always playing music but with my hearing loss I know music isn't sounding like it is supposed too.

My deaf friend said you are deaf like me, he knows I can hear but calls me my deaf friend. I used to reply I can still hear and was quite offended, now I don't mind. In fact, I prefer to be around my deaf friends than my hearing friends. I am taking an ASL course and trying to get a VP so I can communicate with my friends. I don't have to keep asking people to repeat themselves and have them get huffy because if I don't hear them or misunderstand, deaf people tend to assure me and are very willing to finger spell or explain then show me the sign.

Proud of being hoh/deaf I am not quite sure but I do like the community and culture better than hearing people. I feel like a part of something special and bigger than me and my world has expanded in ways I couldn't possibly imagine before.

Sorry I am pretty long winded

Nice to meet you

Your post brought to my mind two quotes by Helen Keller:

1. Blindness separates us from things but deafness separates us from people.

2. I am just as deaf as I am blind. The problems of deafness are deeper and more complex, if not more important than those of blindness. Deafness is a much worse misfortune. For it means the loss of the most vital stimulus-- the sound of the voice that brings language, sets thoughts astir, and keeps us in the intellectual company of man.

blind or deaf

I have to say that being blind would be worse than being deaf. I am totaly independant as a deaf person but as a blind person I would be too dependant on others.
Stories I have heard thru the years is that deaf people becoming blind will kill themselves. I think I would pick that option myself.
There are plus and minus things about being blind versus being deaf and I feel deaf would be the first pick if you wanted a disability. Losing my hearing never made me want to trade my eyesight for my hearing.
I think if you took a poll of deaf the eyes would have it by at least 90%

helen keller

Your post brought to my mind two quotes by Helen Keller:

1. Blindness separates us from things but deafness separates us from people.

2. I am just as deaf as I am blind. The problems of deafness are deeper and more complex, if not more important than those of blindness. Deafness is a much worse misfortune. For it means the loss of the most vital stimulus-- the sound of the voice that brings language, sets thoughts astir, and keeps us in the intellectual company of man.

Helen keller was a great woman for her times. But her era made deafness a hinderance instead of a physucal problem. The HK era had deaf considered dumb and mute. And society in general follow that idea. That view of deafness took way to long to be changed. But with awareness things did improve.
Personally I think HK did a disservice to deaf people

Hello and welcome there, Samantha_Kathy!

Trojan.panther...hello...great post!

Back