new and in need of assistance!

terpintraining

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm an interpreting student in Northern California and I need some help. I need to know what the ideal interpreter looks like. What do they do that makes them great? What is it that makes an interpreter bad? Any comments about interpreters, good or bad, would be extremely helpful. Thanks so much!

Welcome to AllDeaf! Enjoy your stay! :thumb:

To answer your question, they just need to be ethical.

Welcome to AD -- where in Northern California are you from? You can PM me as my mother's an interpreter for the Sonoma County district.

Sorry about my recent short answer. What I really mean is...
terpintraining said:
I need to know what the ideal interpreter looks like.
They should dress up as plainly as possible and not in flashy clothes. The more coordinated the outfit is, the easier it is for the students to see them sign. Another good outfit would be something that's only two to three easy colors. (White turtle neck with navy blue, black, or maroon sweater over it and a pair of jeans or skirts that's smooth like maroon, faded, etc. Do NOT wear bright pink t-shirt with hawaiian tropical designed orange/pink/purple/blue/white overshirt and wearing bright stripped pants or skirts! :dizzy:)
terpintraining said:
What do they do that makes them great?
As long as they are friendly and follow the code of ethics, then they will be greatly appreciated and liked.
terpintraining said:
What is it that makes an interpreter bad?
If they are too dull, not friendly, and/or don't really follow the code of ethics properly, then they will be disliked.
terpintraining said:
Any comments about interpreters, good or bad, would be extremely helpful.
Some classes will have words that are interpreted differently than other classes. This is especially for areas like math, science, and computers. Most liberal arts courses use general sign languages. If you feel that your signs were inappropriate or confusing to the students, you can ask them during break or after class... to review them. That will clear up a lot of things. It also helps if you took a minute to know who the deaf students were at the beginning of the first class for the quarter or semester. This helps with roll call and knowing in case a student emails you for anything.

I agree with what Vampy said but I want to add a few more things.

Since Im a professional who do tons of public speaking, it is very important for me to have an interpreter who is excellent at voicing. Many terps voice well but they do not bother to take on my personality or add emotions to their voices. They tend to go monotone and bore my audience. It always pisses me off because I work very hard to keep my presentations entertaining and professional.

I would like an interpreter to be HONEST about her/his limits. Some fake their way through but it affects me the most. They need to be very honest and only accept assignments that they are confident with.

Best of luck! :)

Back