New and Extremely Unsure

Seagirl

Reaction score
I'm new to this site and extremely unsure of myself. I have just received my first hearing aids (well that work anyways) and don't understand this noise. I guess what most people hear as normal, advice anyone. I don't like how loud the world seems and I know it isn't loud.

It isn't loud to most of us, but stick around and I bet you can find happiness and self esteem here at least.:wave:

They do take some getting used to. I remember when I first got mine, the sound of a flushing toilet sounded like Niagra Falls to me. Then I got to hear some sounds I had never heard before, like a frog croaking, birds singing, or even a cat purring.

I have to remember those sounds now as I no longer have hearing aids since they will no longer help me.

I was 7 when I got my first aids. Went through 4 of them by the time I was 10, then had none (due to finances) until I was 39 or so. At 43 I lost all hearing.

You will find a lot of people here on AllDeaf who will be able to help you transition through this time.

Welcome to AllDeaf!!!:wave:

I still struggle with my hearing aids so you are not alone in this situation, welcome to AllDeaf!

:welcome: to AD, Seagirl.

Keep in mind hearing is just as much in the brain as the ear. Your brain has to get used to your aided hearing.

It does get easier, although I get headaches every day if I wear them too long. The time before a headache is increasing though! :)

h/aids take some getting used to. only wear them for short periods until you do get used to them.
oh yea, Welcome to Alldeaf!! :wave:

Hi, Seagirl! I'm relatively new and I've adjusted to late onset deafness, too. The link that Botti posted above is a great place to start. I look forward to hearing more from you. :welcome:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I am sure you will find some things unsettling not getting use to having the one hearing aid or two hearing aids different than the normal sounds that you are used to. You will learn a lot about us being deaf or hard of hearing. As of now, I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back