New 2 ASL

want2interpret

Reaction score
Hello all!!!:wave: I am currently studying to become an interpreter and it is becoming very hard. I was previously a Communication Assistant with Relay Services of South Carolina in which I decided to get into interpreting. I'm only in ASL 3, but in 1 & 2 we only covered the basics and now it's all signs and really fast finger spelling, this teacher is Hearing but the last teacher was deaf which I must say made things a lot easier. I've been told there is a great need for African American interpreters in my community and I am very interested in learning. Does anyone have any suggestions?? :Ohno::confused:

i am in a interpreting program in chicago, il
this is my third year and i just finished asl 3 awhile back.
i welcome you to the profession!
about your teacher being hearing, yes it is more easy to communicate but in a way it makes it harder because you know you can talk to the teacher through english not always having to use your new asl skills...this is bad to me because if you cant get a point across i would give up and just say it, but with a deaf teacher it makes you think of ways to communicate better and use the skills you have....this way it makes you feel more comfortable around deaf people not just your classmates...

yes, i do beleive african american interpreters are very important...but even more so is male interpreters...our program is small but proud, our main problem is not having males wanting to learn asl...in the three years ive been here there has only been three males....this is a problem because in the chicago area most deaf indivisuals are males and sometimes we female interpreters feel uncomfortable within their groups discussions, such as aaa meetings or just when a group hangs out and talks about sex....i know this beacause my hearing teacher told us many adventures while she interpreted for some male deaf people....

on the subject about learning more i suggest taking extra classes that could help increase you skill level or at least open the doors up to new friends to practice with....my main suggestion is find deaf events in your area and inmearse yourself in the culture...its nerve racking at first but most of the deaf people i encountered were very incouranging and loved the fact i took time out of my life to learn their language and accept their culture...
it is very important to be among deaf people because it allows you to learn new vocabulary not taught in class and you become to love signing so much being an interpreter might be a dream come true!

if you want to talk more i would be glad to! my email:
alwaysbefullojoy@yahoo.com

Back