"Nevermind".....THAT word!!

Having read several m1ld4s posts, I can safely allege that he is under the age of 15, is an idiot, and if he is hearing is a troll. In person, he has no friends, deaf or hearing, and he has to go on online forums (specifically, not well-known ones) to feel as though he's cool by harrassing other people.

It's not my fault you've been banned from every major forum online at least once. It's not my fault you don't have any friends. It's not my fault you are horribly misinformed about the topics you attempt to discuss. Develop a sense of humour. Stop wasting AD server space. Your unintelligence is not worthy of the few kilobytes your text takes up.

On the subject at hand, I HATE 'nevermind'... But I acknowledge that I've used it in the case where the person doesn't know about the topic... They can't understand because the don't have any background in the subject.

I did it a couple of times today to my friend... "never mind", and "nothing"....
aww.. i felt so bad... *sniff*... but he's ok.... he knocked me out in return.

I ended up doing this again tonight while at work. I quickly apologized to my coworker. She was actually confused as to what I was apologizing for.

Ah yes, "never mind." Did you notice how that sign doesn't have a conceptual equivalent in ASL? There is a reason for this.
In hearing culture, people say never mind when someone really doesn't get something, or they have missed out on a large part of a conversation and it would be difficult to fill them in on everything. We also use it occasionally to purposefully leave someone out, when we are gossiping or joking or something. BECAUSE hearing people generally get most information, missing out on a little bit with a "never mind" is acceptable.
Obviously, deaf/hoh people miss a lot of what hearing people are saying because they can't hear them. They're often left out at the dinner table, at meetings, at parties. Never mind is used by people who don't want to explain to the deaf/hoh person what's happening, they aren't willing to communicate, and especially when a deaf/hoh person is missing the majority of the conversation, this is frustrating! the reason "never mind" is considered such a bad thing in deaf culture is because deaf/hoh people get it all the time and often miss vital information. When you live in a world where you can't easily communicate with most people, obviously all communication is more valued!

I used to use never mind with hearing friends all the time. When I started learning sign, I quickly learned that the phrase "never mind" was inappropriate to use with deaf people, for cultural reasons, and I rarely use it.
If I am in a group with a deaf person, and he/she asks me to repeat what someone said, (spoken or signed, things get missed) I always repeat it. When there is a large group of hearing people talking, and someone deaf is there without an interpreter, I always try to AT LEAST give an abbreviated version of what's going on, and I will answer any questions I can. I get how it is to not be able to communicate, I facilitate communication the best I can.
If I am in a one-on-one situation with a deaf person and I sign something unimportant and they miss it, I will occasionally say never mind. However, if they ask me to repeat it, however stupid, I will.
Something interesting I've noticed is that when hearing people miss something and ask "what'd they say" and other people say never mind, the hearing person is a little frustrated too. If I repeat the information to hearing people, they are usually very appreciative. But, "never mind" does NOT have the same connotation in hearing culture that it does it deaf culture.
To answer the original question, I don't think the phrase "never mind" should be erased from the English dictionary because it will just be replaced with another word. It should, however, be erased in any form from any signed language. Instead of being a taboo word there could just be no word at all.

The "abbreviated version" often ticks me off too. I want to know what was said. Even worse, is when someone doesn't repeat what was said, but instead tries to explain things in a simpler manner because they think we're stupid or something.
Just repeat what was said and I'll figure it out myself, thnk you.

Teresh said:
Having read several m1ld4s posts, I can safely allege that he is under the age of 15, is an idiot, and if he is hearing is a troll. In person, he has no friends, deaf or hearing, and he has to go on online forums (specifically, not well-known ones) to feel as though he's cool by harrassing other people.

It's not my fault you've been banned from every major forum online at least once. It's not my fault you don't have any friends. It's not my fault you are horribly misinformed about the topics you attempt to discuss. Develop a sense of humour. Stop wasting AD server space. Your unintelligence is not worthy of the few kilobytes your text takes up.

On the subject at hand, I HATE 'nevermind'... But I acknowledge that I've used it in the case where the person doesn't know about the topic... They can't understand because the don't have any background in the subject.

Hey Teresh and ChrisBBaron, too....

I have to say something

dkf747 said:
The "abbreviated version" often ticks me off too. I want to know what was said. Even worse, is when someone doesn't repeat what was said, but instead tries to explain things in a simpler manner because they think we're stupid or something.
Just repeat what was said and I'll figure it out myself, thnk you.
Dkf, I totally agree. When it is at all possible I prefer to give a total "interpretation" of everything that's being said, etc. This happens when any of my friends miss something, but especially with my deaf friends, (understandably). Sometimes though, with a big group, if the person wasn't in the room for everything, or if I am involved in the conversation, it isn't possible. I'm also not an interpreter, still a student, so sometimes even without other problems, I just don't have the skill or speed. But yes, my goal is to give all the information. I don't abbreviate because I think someone is stupid, but because I can't convey it all.

signer16 said:
Dkf, I totally agree. When it is at all possible I prefer to give a total "interpretation" of everything that's being said, etc. This happens when any of my friends miss something, but especially with my deaf friends, (understandably). Sometimes though, with a big group, if the person wasn't in the room for everything, or if I am involved in the conversation, it isn't possible. I'm also not an interpreter, still a student, so sometimes even without other problems, I just don't have the skill or speed. But yes, my goal is to give all the information. I don't abbreviate because I think someone is stupid, but because I can't convey it all.

I don't have a problem with that. That's a little different from what I meant.

yeah... i hate when someone says never mind.... but it also depends on situation if u and someone else making good conversation and ended up not getting what i meant, i would say never mind if i try different way of explaining and still don't work. i would say never mind. it depend on the situation

never mind on silly reason. come on! I know u have something to say, just hate when someone say never mind. heh.

Oohh.. My......god!

a cut - off topic in conversations by saying "nevermind"; lets move on to new issues or topics to talk about. although, theres always a chances to come back to a recents topic as if its necessary, people says "nevermind" all the time around in the world. just cause they wanted to cut it when they couldnt understand or know what themselves were saying; let alone "nevermind" upon to relived the issues. who doesnt want to say nevermind all times? quit complaing and move to new topics. oh wait, nevermind this a "nevermind" thread. oh man, i said neverminds over 9 times on this paragraph! :shock: uhh.....nevermind what i was trying to explain, i got lost in my thoughts! :lol: even theres a defination of meaning on "nevermind" so do u need me to lecturing on it? hmm, nevermind that, either. :whistle:

'Never mind' is not always used as a rude word.
Example:
woman: Honey, can you help me find my eyeglasses?
Man: Sure <rummaging through pile of papers on desk>
little girl: Momma, I found it.
woman: Honey? never mind.. Jane found it. thanks Honey :ty:

Teresh said:

Give me a break.....

I had to wait for someone to start fun...Bingo so I started next....

Tell me why you did not start negativity on AJ? Is that a reason why you are protecting your friend? So that means you are a favorism....

Back