Never Going Back To Dsl!

i am tired of high price high speed internet and cable both. luckysmile found and emailed me about satelite internet i will concern to switch.

I know the feeling.

I got my first taste of the internet in 1995. This was on my dad's Mac. We were using 2.4 K modem. Yep, 2 K!!! I was so excited to be downloading things such as pictures of my favorite cartoon characters and comics. It would take over 30 minutes to download 800 x 600 pixels black & white pictures.

Months later, the internal 2.4 K modem died. So, my dad bought a new external 14 K modem. When I got online, I was shocked! Instead of waiting over 30 minutes, I only had to wait under 5 minutes! Wow! That's FAST! Of course, I had this pleasure for a few more months. Heh!

A few months later, my dad bought us a new computer... a PC. This PC included a 28 K modem. Wow... 28 K! Unbelievable! Now, I only had to wait under a couple minutes to download images! I loved it!

Well, this went on for about 3 years. The modem eventually died. So, my dad decided to buy an external 56 K modem. OMG! That was amazing! I only had to wait 30 seconds to a minute to download images! Surfing the web couldn't have been easier! I love it!

A couple years later, I've been accepted to RIT. I arrive here. I go to a local computer lab. As soon as I get on, I'm in heaven! I click "download image" and it's done before I even blink! Damn!

From that point on, going home to visit my family during the break was hell for me. I'm back to 56 K and I'm dying! I hate it!

Well, today... my parents have decided to switch to Comcast (similar to Roadrunner and other digital service providers). So, I'm relieved. ;)

starrygaze said:
i am tired of high price high speed internet and cable both. luckysmile found and emailed me about satelite internet i will concern to switch.

actually, it's affordable. DSL under at&t for LOW as $12.99 with one-year contract.

The satelite internet isn't worth unless its a last list to use high speed internet.

Cuz they are costs up front but I got it free. (heh) They wavied 600 dollars due they crashed on my computer without premint being touch or have agreement sign form that I am responible for any computer damaged which I haven't sign. Even they are spitting the tabocco in the box due if I am not happy with the service and how am I suppose send it this stuff back.

Even the installer person swipe their shoes on my carpet due the grass is wet which its mud right there on carpet!

If the weather with lot lighting, its high speed. Clear sky, its sloppy on depend who is using the air-internet.

I think Satelite would be the lat option to get.

When back to 1993, we bought Mac Performa and it was around $1500, there's internet but required to connect to dial up, not safe to leave it since weather is bad then can rip internet off, it's too expensive to get new one. Internet for Mac in 1993 isn't perfect, so slower and slower, it will take an hours to download the image with colors, not enjoy with it.

System7screenshot.gif

I actually never have any problem with ATT HI-SPD INTERNET (as known previous SBC DSL) since Jan 2006... I love DSL stuffs..

Only suckers would try DirecWAY, RS! Its far worse than ISDN! EVEN FAR FAR FAR worse than DSL! Whats more, you can't run VP on DirecWAY! Only one satellite internet provider can deal with VP, and I forgot the name of the company. But be aware, it won't be cheap! At least 500 dollars a month for unlimited with huge bandwidth!

Buckdodgers said:
Has anyone tried DIRECT WAY? Internet connection by satelite.
Direct Way

Yup, you got it right. Satellite is really the bottom of choice list, you can get Satellite and run VP on it... but problem is... it is very pricey! At least 500 dollars a month, plus about $1,000 dollars for dish, including installation. My friend had it, he got no damn choice. He don't have DSL or cable modem available in his area. He lives up in the mountain with awesome view! BTW, he is the one who tried DirecWay and told me it SUCKS! Can't run VP!

ideafspy said:
The satelite internet isn't worth unless its a last list to use high speed internet.

Cuz they are costs up front but I got it free. (heh) They wavied 600 dollars due they crashed on my computer without premint being touch or have agreement sign form that I am responible for any computer damaged which I haven't sign. Even they are spitting the tabocco in the box due if I am not happy with the service and how am I suppose send it this stuff back.

Even the installer person swipe their shoes on my carpet due the grass is wet which its mud right there on carpet!

If the weather with lot lighting, its high speed. Clear sky, its sloppy on depend who is using the air-internet.

I think Satelite would be the lat option to get.

DON'T!!! Your making huge mistake, trust me! DirecWAY is much like AOL, won't let you get off hook. I heard horror stories about DirecWAY. No wonder they quit doing advertising! Wow! I just realize that I haven't seen their advertising for so long time.

Starband sucks too, but still better than DirecWAY

Skycasters.com the only one that we know would work with VP, but VERY VERY VERY expensive! You could choose less expensive package, but you'd be hitting broadband limitation within few days if using VP!

starrygaze said:

diehardbiker65 said:
DON'T!!! Your making huge mistake, trust me! DirecWAY is much like AOL, won't let you get off hook. I heard horror stories about DirecWAY. No wonder they quit doing advertising! Wow! I just realize that I haven't seen their advertising for so long time. Starband sucks too, but still better than DirecWAY Skycasters.com the only one that we know would work with VP, but VERY VERY VERY expensive! You could choose less expensive package, but you'd be hitting broadband limitation within few days if using VP!
No matter which provider you go with make sure you read and understand the contract. The devil is in the details. DHB is right that you might get stuck with a long comittiment or huge cancellation fees. Read the contract.

http://www.dslreports.com/

DSL or Cable does not matter, it depends on your area, depends how from you are from service. Cable has two negatives: they share with other people and make it goes very slow. And can be more expensive than DSL.

Use this website to check out your area, sometimes it will show whats best in your area.

loveofwine said:
http://www.dslreports.com/

DSL or Cable does not matter, it depends on your area, depends how from you are from service. Cable has two negatives: they share with other people and make it goes very slow. And can be more expensive than DSL.

Use this website to check out your area, sometimes it will show whats best in your area.
Yes, with DSL how far you are from the CO (central office) does matter. You have to be within 5 miles or have a repeater within 5 miles to get a strong enough signal. With cable, distance does not matter but congestion could be a factor. Depending on your ISP (I use comcast) they are gonna segment the network when they detect congestion in order to eliminate it. I can't speak for other providers but I can tell you that comcast does a pretty good job of segmenting the network when needed. And you are correct about the cost. Cable is more expensive but the additional performance is well worth the added cost. Cable outperforms DSL even when the client is near the CO. At least in my area it does.

hey, Cox Commucation Inc. High Speed Internet no more 4Mbips become 7Mbips Fast !!! cheap $39.95 must set-box or no set box add $10.00 cheap or you want more speed 12Bbips / upstream 1Mbips add $15.00! not bad!

I knew it! I feel like I pay too much for my stupid cable internet which is $49 a month for 3mbps down and 256k up internet. It's Millenium Digital cable and I don't want DSL because it cost more than what I pay if I add a $12 a month phone connection plus a similar speed or faster DSL line and it will add up a bit more than what I pay which is not worth it for me. I wish high speed internet was $40 a month or less for 3 mbps or so on average. $50 a month is too much for today because dial up is dead.

rockdrummer said:
DLS is microwave technology which means you must have line of sight between the dishes. While it's cool and fast, it may not be available in all areas. Hey Neo... do you live in Illinois??

Yes, Microwave tech is very limits areas.

I live only 17miles away from your area.

sequoias said:
I knew it! I feel like I pay too much for my stupid cable internet which is $49 a month for 3mbps down and 256k up internet. It's Millenium Digital cable and I don't want DSL because it cost more than what I pay if I add a $12 a month phone connection plus a similar speed or faster DSL line and it will add up a bit more than what I pay which is not worth it for me. I wish high speed internet was $40 a month or less for 3 mbps or so on average. $50 a month is too much for today because dial up is dead.

wow, that's rip-off. I paid only $29.99 on 3MB download/256kbps upload on Cable ISP.

Verizon FIOS is even better and faster than Cable HSI (High Speed Internet).

FIOS is at 15mbps/2mbps (download/upload) for close to the same price ($44.95)as Cable HSI that's on a 8mbps/768kbps connection. ($42.95) ( a mere $2.00 difference!)

FIOS is only available in select cities, but with time, it will be available everywhere.

I am on the 8mbs/768kbps plan, but recently was upgraded to a 16mbps/1mbps connection a couple of weeks ago. It's because I have FIOS available in my area and comcast upped my speeds to compete with FIOS. I'm only paying 42.95 a month, so I can't complain.

rhr said:
yeah, my life is cable modem since 16 year ago! never signal busy, fast 4mbpis / 512kips, good Videophone not bad, they are very cheap! than DSL!! I use CableTV, get VCR and CableModem, they are same time fast, smooth, not bad! I LOVE Cable!

but Phone and DSL will going out of business future becuase Pacific Bell is no longer become SBC no longer beccome AT&T then no longer future???? becuase many multi in one cable for phone / DSL but Cable is one (EMI) any any multi multi in one!!!!! fast than Phone Company's cable

16 years for using Cable modem? Don't you meant ISDN?

Back