Never ever declaw a cat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Seal-Point Siamese (Mother & Son) were with me for 23 years and I am so grateful for that.
We then found the Tonkinese breed and these two guys (brothers) are amazing. One is a Platinum Mink with aqua eyes and the other is just Platinum-Point with dark blue eyes.
That description is beautiful.

We need to start a new thread with pictures!

What kind of nails did your toddlers have?! Mine never had claws.

:confused: I feel that you misinterpreted my comparison post because I disagree with some posters for compared declaw with vaccines and neuter/spaying and then compared human fingertips with animal claw.

Anyway, I feel from your post that you think it´s just claw... No, it´s not just claw but removed the bone joint, flesh, tendons, nerves, blood vessels...as well. Declaw is a form of an amputation.

I hope this link will helps.

The Facts About Declawing

Contrary to most people's understanding, declawing consists of amputating not just the claws, but the whole phalanx (up to the joint), including bones, ligaments, and tendons! To remove the claw, the bone, nerve, joint capsule, collateral ligaments, and the extensor and flexor tendons must all be amputated. Thus declawing is not a “simple”, single surgery but 10 separate, painful amputations of the third phalanx up to the last joint of each toe. A graphic comparison in human terms would be the cutting off of a person's finger at the last joint of each finger.

Many vets and clinic staff deliberately misinform and mislead clients into believing that declawing removes only the claws in the hopes that clients are left with the impression that the procedure is a "minor" surgery comparable to spay/neuter procedures and certainly doesn't involve amputation (partial or complete) of the terminal-toe bone, ligaments and tendons. Some vets rationalize the above description by saying that since the claw and the third phalanx (terminal toe bone) are so firmly connected, they simply use the expression "the claw" to make it simpler for clients to "understand". Other vets are somewhat more honest and state that if they used the word "amputation", most clients would not have the surgery performed! Onychectomy in the clinical definition involves either the partial or total amputation of the terminal bone. That is the only method. What differs from vet to vet is the type of cutting tool used (guillotine-type cutter, scalpel or laser).

Cats claw furniture, kids' faces, curtains, toilet paper rolls, human body parts (especially when giving them baths), clothing, table cloths (pulling everything down from the table), door frames, window sills, other cats, dogs, walls, paintings, etc.

Oh I see. Is it punishment to declaw the cat because of this? The toddlers/small children did the same as well... They do mess the funiture etc ... It doesn´t bother me really because I love my boys and cats what they are because they are my wish... I really have no problem with my patience to correct my boys and pets in positive way... Example: my cats know I don´t like them to jump on the table but stay on the chair. They understood and respect me... It´s about training/education with good patience.

You handle it your way, and I'll handle it my way. :)

Yes.

I don´t agree that it´s harsh but fact which is good education for us.

That website was wrote by Maryjean Ballner. She was being talking about her opinions and there is no one support Pro and Con

Depend on your good patience to train your pet in postive way.
I don't have cat myself but for other people. It is depend on their activities. I really don't know what they are doing. Do I want to have cat for myself? My daughter is allergy to cat so I doubt that we might not have cat however if I do, I will invest a lot of patience on this cat.

common? Your description sound that they unaware how to take care of their pets or train their pets to do or not do that.
Yes, Common in America's house. Why do you think America Veterinary Board approved declaw?
I would advise the pet owners to search first how to take care of their future pets and train them before adopt them. I agree with you.

Declaw are being banned in many countries in the world including Germany.

It´s not hard to train cats to scratch on the scratching posts. If you decide to adopt the kitten then prepare the scratching posts in your household before bring new kitten home. You can train your children to do or not do that... It does the same with pets as well.

I agree with you.

Like I said there are Pro and Con. I had been reading many website about declaw and notice that most people who is against declaw wrote site to tell the people what their belief. I don't see someone else speaking about declaw. So I spoke to Dr. Cowdrey about this stuff. She said that there are many debate about declaw but Veterinary Board in America allowed that to declaw based on health purposes. I just can't discuss or debate with Vetinary Board.

Yes, the posters from several forums said the same thing what you said here when I asked them for their cons/pros feedback over soft paws because it´s new to me. After received their most negative feeback, I check with my Vet on this and want to know why we don´t have any soft paws here in Germany. Her replied is: Why soft paws for? I was like ooohhhhh... just wondering... She asked: What´s wrong with train cat to scratch on the scratching post like what we did train our children to not do that.... It belongs good patience. I was like yeah...

Soft paws are not good idea. I had been working on one cat with soft paw. However after visit with Vet. We had to had surgery on paw to remove debris out of paw. Doctor advice owner not to make paws softer because debris can damaged paws. I rather for paws to make stronger and stiff even declaw or claw. Poor Finis!

...Anyway, I feel from your post that you think it´s just claw... No, it´s not just claw but removed the bone joint, flesh, tendons, nerves, blood vessels...as well. Declaw is a form of an amputation. I hope this link will helps.
I don't know what makes you think I didn't know what declawing is. I've known about it for decades. :roll:

Oh I see. Is it punishment to declaw the cat because of this?
No, it's not "punishment."

I agree with you.

Like I said there are Pro and Con. I had been reading many website about declaw and notice that most people who is against declaw wrote site to tell the people what their belief. I don't see someone else speaking about declaw. So I spoke to Dr. Cowdrey about this stuff. She said that there are many debate about declaw but Veterinary Board in America allowed that to declaw based on health purposes. I just can't discuss or debate with Vetinary Board.

From American Veterinary Medical Association Executive Board: AVMA position statement on the declawing of domestic cats

Declawing of domestic cats should be considered only after attempts have been made to prevent the cat from using its claws destructively or when its clawing presents a zoonotic risk for its owner(s).

The AVMA believes it is the obligation of veterinarians to provide cat owners with complete education with regard to feline onychectomy. The following points are the foundation for full understanding and disclosure regarding declawing:

1. Scratching is a normal feline behavior, is a means for cats to mark their territory both visually and with scent, and is used for claw conditioning ("husk" removal) and stretching activity.

2. Owners must provide suitable implements for normal scratching behavior. Examples are scratching posts, cardboard boxes, lumber or logs, and carpet or fabric remnants affixed to stationary objects. Implements should be tall or long enough to allow full stretching, and be firmly anchored to provide necessary resistance to scratching. Cats should be positively reinforced in the use of these implements.

3. Appropriate claw care (consisting of trimming the claws every 1 to 2 weeks) should be provided to prevent injury or damage to household items.

4. Surgical declawing is not a medically necessary procedure for the cat in most cases. While rare in occurrence, there are inherent risks and complications with any surgical procedure including, but not limited to, anesthetic complications, hemorrhage, infection, and pain. If onychectomy is performed, appropriate use of safe and effective anesthetic agents and the use of safe peri-operative analgesics for an appropriate length of time are imperative. The surgical alternative of tendonectomy is not recommended.

5. Declawed cats should be housed indoors.

6. Scientific data do indicate that cats that have destructive clawing behavior are more likely to be euthanatized, or more readily relinquished, released, or abandoned, thereby contributing to the homeless cat population. Where scratching behavior is an issue as to whether or not a particular cat can remain as an acceptable household pet in a particular home, surgical onychectomy may be considered.

7. There is no scientific evidence that declawing leads to behavioral abnormalities when the behavior of declawed cats is compared with that of cats in control groups.

From the American College of Veterinary Surgeons: Declawing in Cats

- The declaw procedure involves removing the third phalanx (the last bone and its associated claw) from each toe (digit) on both forelegs. There are several different techniques for accomplishing this. The third phalanx can be amputated from the digit by using a scalpel blade (Figure 1), sterile nail clippers or with a laser (Figures 2 and 3). The laser has been reported to cause less hemorrhage, swelling and pain. This has not been proven, however laser declawing is an acceptable method.

Because each digit is amputated through the joint, this procedure is painful and requires the appropriate treatment of pain before, during and after the procedure. Options for pain treatment include:

local anesthetics (“numbing”) of the feet before surgery
the use of fentanyl patches which allow Fentanyl, a potent narcotic to be absorbed through the skin and provide pain relief for 3-5 days
injectable or oral pain killers administered postoperatively

How well a cat does after a declaw procedure will depend on the surgical technique, pain killers used, the cat's age and weight (older and heavier cats will generally not do as well) as well as individual variation. Potential complications of a declaw procedure include: excessive bleeding from the declaw sites, infection of the incisions or long-term residual lameness. -

Summary
A declaw is a procedure that is performed by general practitioners to prevent destructive behaviours in cats. The procedure is quick and simple, but can have complications and is painful. A declaw procedure should not be performed without careful consideration of the reasons for performing this procedure and the other options that are available. It is important to start training kittens early to learn appropriate scratching behaviour and to tolerate regular nail trims, so that as many options are available to you as possible. These options include: behavioral modification, regular nail trimming, Soft Paws, tendonectomy and declaw.

Approval but only "last resort".

Cruella DeVil, Cruella DeVil,
If she doesn't scare you, no evil thing will.
To see her is to take a sudden chill.
Cruella, Cruella DeVil.
The curl of her lips, the ice in her stare;
All innocent children had better beware.
She's like a spider waiting for the kill.
Look out for Cruella DeVil.

Declaw Hall of Shame - Stop Declawing Now!

My Seal-Point Siamese (Mother & Son) were with me for 23 years and I am so grateful for that.
We then found the Tonkinese breed and these two guys (brothers) are amazing. One is a Platinum Mink with aqua eyes and the other is just Platinum-Point with dark blue eyes.

Wow! 23 years? amazing! Dad had a siamese cat, Suki who was
19 years old when he died..and they do have long lives, i guess.

Tonkinese breed? never heard of them..i bet they are beautiful too!
got pics of them? im so curious about that kind of breed..
Siamese do have beautiful blue eyes but i bet Tonkinese does too!,
the way you describe their blue eyes!..
I like those good breed type of cats like siamese, persian, burmese
etc...ha..i know im being biased..haha..

Our first one was a male Seal point (a stray that we adopted). Teko.

For a short time, we "fostered" a male Lynx point (striped points) kitten. Ziggy.

Then we adopted a female Blue point. Mirage.

Then we adopted a male Seal point. Taipan (nickname "Sweetpea").

Finally, we adopted a male black Oriental (former show cat). The Orientals have the same fur texture, head, eye and body shape of Siamese; the only difference is that they are solid color, not points. Ninja.

All of those kitties were very smart and affectionate. :)

Wow! they sounded like beautiful cats! Yes, there are blue points
and i heard they are just beautiful and expensive, right?
Yes you are right, they are smart and affectionate..dad loved them
for those reasons, lol.

Wow! they sounded like beautiful cats! Yes, there are blue points
and i heard they are just beautiful and expensive, right?
Yes you are right, they are smart and affectionate..dad loved them
for those reasons, lol.
Our Blue point wasn't expensive because she was a "rescued" kitty.

All of our cats were rescued, so they were neutered and didn't come with papers. Not so expensive that way.

The former show kitty was "over the hill" at one year of age, so he couldn't be shown anymore, and had sired enough offspring for the cattery owner.

One of our Siamese was in a family with a little girl who developed an allergy to cats, so we got him for a cheaper price too.

One was from a shelter.

Good quality Siamese can be found in shelters and rescue associations.

If I ever had another cat, it would have to be Siamese or Oriental. :)

I had two cats that were declawed.. i got her from a friend who couldnt take care of her so i adopted her.. her name was Trouble cuz she always get in everything nosey.. lol.. anyway she got strangled by snake. she couldnt protected herself cuz she was declawed. yes she died inside the cabinet in kitchen. Not outside! i was very upset! I really missed her so much... :( my other bobcat mix-Ricky he was also declawed. A friend who couldnt take care of him gave him to me.. He had arthirtis as his front legs painfully lean to right instead of proper align. He couldnt run. He limped.. :( I dont like declawing at all! God put claws on the cats for reason! :)

I had two cats that were declawed.. i got her from a friend who couldnt take care of her so i adopted her.. her name was Trouble cuz she always get in everything nosey.. lol.. anyway she got strangled by snake. she couldnt protected herself cuz she was declawed. yes she died inside the cabinet in kitchen. Not outside! i was very upset! I really missed her so much... :( my other bobcat mix-Ricky he was also declawed. A friend who couldnt take care of him gave him to me.. He had arthirtis as his front legs painfully lean to right instead of proper align. He couldnt run. He limped.. :( I dont like declawing at all! God put claws on the cats for reason! :)

EXACTLY!
and I think this is awful how pple think they can do whatever they want to an animal to accomodate it to their 'human' needs. want a cat but worried about furniture? no plm, we will have it declawed. want a dog but worried about furniture? no plm let's keep it in a cage.

People does not respect animals as they should. An animal is not a toy, not something to be taken for granted - its living, breathing creature that NEVER asked to be taken to YOUR home, and made into something it is not.

Anyone who considers taking in a dog or cat or even a hamster, should first think hard, think twice, then think again that first of all it's a BIG RESPONSIBILITY that will last many many years, that kitties and puppies grow into big cats and dogs not longer so soft and cute,
and you never know if the animal will turn out the way you imagined it to be - for example it may not be as cuddly anf affectionate, or as quiet and obedient as you wanted it to, and most of all you can't have clean home with animals.
Even the best behaved pets have accidents, get sick or get into mischief many times throughout their life at home.

So, don't take a cat or dog home if you like it clean and organized. don't take a cat or dog home if you are not ready to be scratched or bitten ever.

Fuzzy

I had several cats in the past and have one cat here. They all have never been declawed. They all have never scratched any furnitures here. When I first bought each kitten/cat home, I watched them careful and if they started to scratch on furniture, I went and squeezed their paws and at the same time I said in firm "NO NO" even sign languages too. Usually after second time they have learned and never had any problem since then. Every week or two I alway trimmed their sharp nails to keep in short.

Let me tell you a story or two ...

One time at the Vets one of my cats, Gandalf was mad at the vets and went boxing at me especially at my face as I hold him. The vets went back few steps and was in shocked. The vets checked on me to see if any scratches on my face and hands, NOPE .. NONE... cuz Gandalf didn't use his claws cuz he knews he is not suppose to use his nails no matter what. Very smart, wasn't he. haha

Also Gandalf was attacked by two pit bull dogs out in my front porch. I was doing landscaping and saw them. I ran to them and kicked both dogs to get out of way then Gandalf ran up to the tree. Thanks God he used his claws. Finally both dogs ran to their owner's vehicle about a half block away as my neighbors saw. Boy he went through alot and had two surgeries and survived very well. Whew. The vets said Gandalf was an amazing tough cat!!! haha

Also one of my cats, Bandit was playing with a garden snake that I found them playing in my living room behind crouch!!! It was funny cuz the snake is afraid of Bandit, perhaps he used his claws when it's really neccessary!!! haha ... well we finally got that snake out of house tho.

Well I personally believe all cats shouldn't be declawed. It's NOT hard to train any cats NOT to use their claws. It's simple only been told twice then they won't do it again in the house (except scratching pole when they have been told "OK, good boy/girl).

I don't know what makes you think I didn't know what declawing is. I've known about it for decades. :roll:

Your own word

Originally Posted by Reba
What kind of nails did your toddlers have?! Mine never had claws.

I was like :confused: because you questioned to "compare" human nail with animal claw. I only compared human fingertips with animal claw, not human nail.

No, it's not "punishment."

This is your opinion.

I have to repsect the pet owners about declawing their cats for good reasons. I am sure they are pretty much in-door house cat that never been outside. Some declaw them so they don't ruin the sofa or hurt the kids if they plan to keep them in the house for rest of their life. But outside cats should never be declaw because they will need their own protestion to climb trees and self-denfenses if the cat felt or feel threatren in a sitauation. I personally never declaw an animal expect give them nail trimming that it. :)

That website was wrote by Maryjean Ballner. She was being talking about her opinions and there is no one support Pro and Con

Have you read Opal´s link?

I don't have cat myself but for other people. It is depend on their activities. I really don't know what they are doing. Do I want to have cat for myself? My daughter is allergy to cat so I doubt that we might not have cat however if I do, I will invest a lot of patience on this cat.

Yes, I know what you mean... I doesn´t mean to point my finger to you but use "you" in general way... (I didn´t know before that you have pets).

Yes, Common in America's house. Why do you think America Veterinary Board approved declaw?

To my suggestion...

I guess that US Veterinary Board are lazy to educate the pet owners to be how to take care of their future pets? Or make profit themselves from the pet owners to declaw the pets?

What you said about cons/pros... health purposes? Can you care to explain the example the reason why they amputiere cat´s claw for? What´s an exact health purposes for?

I had several cats in the past and have one cat here. They all have never been declawed. They all have never scratched any furnitures here. When I first bought each kitten/cat home, I watched them careful and if they started to scratch on furniture, I went and squeezed their paws and at the same time I said in firm "NO NO" even sign languages too. Usually after second time they have learned and never had any problem since then. Every week or two I alway trimmed their sharp nails to keep in short.

Let me tell you a story or two ...

One time at the Vets one of my cats, Gandalf was mad at the vets and went boxing at me especially at my face as I hold him. The vets went back few steps and was in shocked. The vets checked on me to see if any scratches on my face and hands, NOPE .. NONE... cuz Gandalf didn't use his claws cuz he knews he is not suppose to use his nails no matter what. Very smart, wasn't he. haha

Also Gandalf was attacked by two pit bull dogs out in my front porch. I was doing landscaping and saw them. I ran to them and kicked both dogs to get out of way then Gandalf ran up to the tree. Thanks God he used his claws. Finally both dogs ran to their owner's vehicle about a half block away as my neighbors saw. Boy he went through alot and had two surgeries and survived very well. Whew. The vets said Gandalf was an amazing tough cat!!! haha

Also one of my cats, Bandit was playing with a garden snake that I found them playing in my living room behind crouch!!! It was funny cuz the snake is afraid of Bandit, perhaps he used his claws when it's really neccessary!!! haha ... well we finally got that snake out of house tho.

Well I personally believe all cats shouldn't be declawed. It's NOT hard to train any cats NOT to use their claws. It's simple only been told twice then they won't do it again in the house (except scratching pole when they have been told "OK, good boy/girl).

:gpost: Yes I did the same as you as well. Yes I agree it´s not really hard to train the pets to not do that or do that.

I thought all the time that declaw is just remove nail after learn about banned list over pets like declaw, tail docking, ear cropping etc... I know about tail docking and ear cropping... declaw... I can understand it´s hurt to remove nail... like they would remove my nails...until I learned other declaw thread for a first time last year that it´s NOT just nail but bones, vessel, etc. Yes I was very shock because I didn´t know that Declaw is a form of an amputation. Of course we have hot debated there and accept the fact that it´s American culture and show my respect to the pet owners when I respectful disagree with their choice and see different as them.

Soft paws are not good idea. I had been working on one cat with soft paw. However after visit with Vet. We had to had surgery on paw to remove debris out of paw. Doctor advice owner not to make paws softer because debris can damaged paws. I rather for paws to make stronger and stiff even declaw or claw. Poor Finis!

Yes I can see it and beleive it... I would not do that to my cats but train them to not do that... The reason I ask the posters for feedback because of Kim, my cat. She is unfriendly cat and scratch people sometimes. I didn´t know anything about soft paw until last year... I begin to consider soft paw on Kim only, not other 3 cats. Surprisely, I got negative feedback from many posters over soft paw until Angel brought the subject up.

I check with the Vet about Kim... and soft paw, etc. The Vet edcuated me how to stop Kim to scratch people. All what I should scream "NEIN" (German word for NO) and no praise to her... no cuddle if she come for my attention... I did... It works pretty good... It less and less and turn into friendly cat... sometimes unfriendly... no problem with other 3 cats. Kim is gone... (see my avator and signuature... ) I miss her terrible... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back