neuropathy of auditory nerve normal abr and oae

MINILEE

Reaction score
what is this?
at my ENT that's what he said.
is that possible with normal ABR and OAE test that shows nothing abnormal?
that's so odd.
anyone know...well that's my follow-up
they said I qualify for a CI but I like my hearing aids

neuropathy auditory nerve - what kind of hearing loss is that? thanks

what is this?
at my ENT that's what he said.
is that possible with normal ABR and OAE test that shows nothing abnormal?
that's so odd.
anyone know...well that's my follow-up
they said I qualify for a CI but I like my hearing aids

neuropathy auditory nerve - what kind of hearing loss is that? thanks

Nerve deafness.

very interesting

It "sounds" like you have a condition called "auditory neuropathy." The "classic" signs are (supposedly) normal OAE's, ABnormal (or absent) ABR, and ABSENT MEMR's (middle ear muscle reflexes). HOWEVER, not everyone follows this "pattern." I have PRESENT OAE's and ABSENT MEMR's. Not sure about my ABR. Was dx'ed with SNHL. Wear bilateral HA's. VERY GLAD you share your experience. Thank you!

:wave:

It "sounds" like you have a condition called "auditory neuropathy." The "classic" signs are (supposedly) normal OAE's, ABnormal (or absent) ABR, and ABSENT MEMR's (middle ear muscle reflexes). HOWEVER, not everyone follows this "pattern." I have PRESENT OAE's and ABSENT MEMR's. Not sure about my ABR. Was dx'ed with SNHL. Wear bilateral HA's. VERY GLAD you share your experience. Thank you!

:wave:

what do you mean by abnormal meaning that it came out as how hearing people would?
thanks for sharing too no problemo~! :)
did the docs also tell you WOW thats differet....you came out like everything is normal with abr and oae :giggle: but you still have a hearing loss?
how was your ABR if i can ask?

Last edited:
my ABR

It was suppposed to take 30 minutes. It took an hour and a half. No one bothered to inform the audiologist that I have Tourette's and Asperger's.
I had a "terp" but the audiologist wanted to take away my glasses and turn the lights off. I had NO CLUE what getting an ABR would be like. I am "officially" classified as "special needs" (multi-handicapped). What the audiologist wrote in her "report" was so ASININE, that I decided not to bother consulting with any of the ENT's in the group. I am not even sure the test is "valid," since there were so many problems and interruptions. I became very nervous and had much FACIAL TICCING during the testing. The audiologist GOT RIGHT IN MY FACE and told me I couldn't do that (tics?) during the test. The whole thing just FREAKED me out. I felt SICK (like naseous and dizzy) afterwards. I almost puked. I experience PAIN when people perform TYMPANOMETRY on me. All of these tests are supposed to be "painless" or "no big deal." I REFUSE to get another ABR. I am DONE with hearing tests of any type. I just wear my aids. I use a "terp" when I need to. I use ASL with Deaf/HOH who communicate that way. I sometimes use PSE and English voicing (or mouthing) with some Deaf/HOH and also some Hearing people who use "Sim Com." Sometimes I am "oral." It just depends on the situation.

Last edited:
I'm spose to get an ABR...after reading that...I was apprehensive b4 cuz I don't like things like that..now I definitely don't really wanna do it!!!

omg was it that bad im so sorry that happened.
is it necessary to get one?
my audio recommended me to get one but it migh tbe a lot of money
she refuses to write letters to my school if i dont get one to show underlying caues
so i guess i have no choice
@alicia-well im have hard time to get test because its so long to may is that common its take forever to get appt. thank
we are deaf why need abr? grrr

ABR and others tests probably okay with C

I think MY "ABR from hell" probably happened because I have OTHER conditions (neurological differences). Also, I foind out that ANOTHER person (a Hearing) ALSO had a very negative experience with that ENT group. Sometimes "professionals" are IN A BIG HURRY and don't THINK things through. I read about what an ABR is "supposed" to be like. I have run into a number of "professionals" (in my geographical area) who are rather UNprofessional. I am trying to get my "BVR case" moved to a DIFFERENT county (the next one over), simply because the one in MY county is understaffed and has NO ONE who works with Deaf/HOH people who sign. There is a Deaf "BVR worker" in the next county who has a "good reputation" with Deaf people and also (competent) people who work with Deaf/HOH people. I have been trying to get access to Sign. I don't think people have the right to FORCE me to be "oral." I think people should have choices. "Professionals" have "evaluated" me (without Sign!) and have given me all kinds of NEGATIVE labels. My clinical psychologist is HOH himself and speaks and signs both. He has found no evidence of "mental illness" or that I am "mentally handicapped." (I guess that is what "MH" means?")

ABR and others tests probably okay with COMPETENT professionals

I think MY "ABR from hell" probably happened because I have OTHER conditions (neurological differences). Also, I foind out that ANOTHER person (a Hearing) ALSO had a very negative experience with that ENT group. Sometimes "professionals" are IN A BIG HURRY and don't THINK things through. I read about what an ABR is "supposed" to be like. I have run into a number of "professionals" (in my geographical area) who are rather UNprofessional. I am trying to get my "BVR case" moved to a DIFFERENT county (the next one over), simply because the one in MY county is understaffed and has NO ONE who works with Deaf/HOH people who sign. There is a Deaf "BVR worker" in the next county who has a "good reputation" with Deaf people and also (competent) people who work with Deaf/HOH people. I have been trying to get access to Sign. I don't think people have the right to FORCE me to be "oral." I think people should have choices. "Professionals" have "evaluated" me (without Sign!) and have given me all kinds of NEGATIVE labels. My clinical psychologist is HOH himself and speaks and signs both. He has found no evidence of "mental illness" or that I am "mentally handicapped." (I guess that is what "MH" means?") Frankly, I find it hard to believe that someone can be "gifted" and "MH" at the same time.

Back