Netflix pledges to caption all content by 2014

That's not true....and it's hit or miss via streaming, but so far, if you wait...they eventually get the captions - at least as far as streaming goes. The one thing I really hate though is when they dub my foreign films into English instead of leaving it in the original language with subtitles...God I hate that.....:mad:

Laura
What's not true?

Anyway, foreign films that are dubbed into spoken English are for hearing viewers who mostly prefer it than the ones with spoken foreign language with English subtitles since they don't like to read subtitles while watching those movies. That's why.

If a dubbed foreign film has no CC, then I am not paying for it.

Is that a fact? Whether it's a fact or not, Netflix must give a discount to deaf members since it's not 100%. Right?

82% of "hours streamed" have captions. Some of these articles rounded UP to 90%. However, if you look at their whole library of titles, only about 65% is captioned.

This is how they can sound better than they actually are.

82% of "hours streamed" have captions. Some of these articles rounded UP to 90%. However, if you look at their whole library of titles, only about 65% is captioned.

This is how they can sound better than they actually are.
So are you saying that Netflix gave false info? I was puzzled about 82% so I think that the company lied since many of its deaf members still complain about not enough captioned films/shows.

Another link: Netflix agrees to subtitle all films by 2014 - CNN.com

Netflix said it already captions 82% of its videos. True or false?

That deal still doesn't sound good to me since during 2013-2016, its deaf customers still have to wait for the videos to be captioned before they can watch them while hearing customers can watch the videos immediately.

I think FCC is not strict enough. The new law is not completely satisfactory. SAD! IMO, due to CVAA, all internet videos such as news and streaming movies should be always captioned when they are released, not later. For example, most BDs/DVDs are already captioned when they are released. It should apply the same to internet NOW.

I forgot to add that VOD (Video On Demand) for TV are already captioned as well. In short, Netflix still sucks (even my hearing son said the same thing).

FCC only has power to control stuff on TV (or stuff that WAS on TV) and not ALL stuff that is on the Internet.

That is why NAD filed under the ADA instead of just FCC's CVAA.

FCC's CVAA law only requires stuff to be captioned that has been on TV (on or after Sept 30 2012), but that does not count older shows & movies (those have to be captioned in a few years), and doesn't cover original content (like Netflix's "House of Cards" & "Lilyhammer")

Netflix's agreement covers ALL of these titles, even for original content.

It would be nice to have options for subtitles (to change font type, size and color) but I don't think Netflix will ever offer that feature. DVD/BD players don't have that feature, either.

Only a few media players such as XBMC and VideoLAN have it as long as the subtitles are downloaded from a website like opensubtitles.org or subscene.com.

TVs and STBs (Set-top boxes such as cable/satellite boxes, Tivo, other DVRs) have a built-in digital CC decoder that has this feature. In near future, DVD/BD players will include the digital CC decoder as per FCC's new law.

FCC's CVAA law WILL require changeable CC formats within another year or so.

Ok with Netflix out of the way, next up AMAZON! I have the Amazon prime membership and there isn't a single movie/tv show with closed captions unless it's a foreign film *sigh*

under FCC's CVAA law, they have started adding CCs. However, they currently only legally have to add CCs to movies and TV shows AFTER they have been on TV with captions (like HBO or Pay-Per-View) and only after they have been on TV on or after Sept 30, 2012. Older movies do not require CCs YET (in a few years, though).

FCC only has power to control stuff on TV (or stuff that WAS on TV) and not ALL stuff that is on the Internet.

That is why NAD filed under the ADA instead of just FCC's CVAA.

FCC's CVAA law only requires stuff to be captioned that has been on TV (on or after Sept 30 2012), but that does not count older shows & movies (those have to be captioned in a few years), and doesn't cover original content (like Netflix's "House of Cards" & "Lilyhammer")

Netflix's agreement covers ALL of these titles, even for original content.

I believe that FCC controls everything that is media like newspapers, magazines, TV, radio, internet, telephone and music recordings since FCC stands for Federal COMMUNICATIONS Commission.

So are you saying that Netflix gave false info? I was puzzled about 82% so I think that the company lied since many of its deaf members still complain about not enough captioned films/shows.

No, they are just tweaking the numbers like politicians do to make it sound like they are doing better than they are. Netflix is counting VIEWED minutes, not minutes of content. So if a 3 hour movie is never watched during the time period they do not count it. If a 2 hour movie is watched 10,000 times and it is captioned, they count it as 20,000 hours of VIEWED captioned content.

Another example: if a 2 hour movie is watched 10,000 times and it is captioned, they count it as 20,000 hours of VIEWED captioned content. Likewise, if a 2 hour movie is watched 2 times and it is NOT captioned, they count it as 4 hours of VIEWED NON-captioned content. My method would say 50% of the 2 movies are captioned, their method would say 99.98% of the VIEWED MINUTES of the 2 movies are captioned.

This is VERY misleading.

Also it is very convenient that this method of counting, unlike my method, is NOT available with their API so there is no hard data to PROVE that they are not just "making it up."

CC yes but not subtitles

It is all the same thing (CC, Subtitles, SDH) -- none of it works on old TV CC decoders. FCC calls it CC since it can be turned ON & OFF instead of foreign subtiltes which are often always there.

I believe that FCC controls everything that is media like newspapers, magazines, TV, radio, internet, telephone and music recordings since FCC stands for Federal COMMUNICATIONS Commission.

They do not control the internet. That is why NAD sued Netflix under the ADA making it an accommodations/Civil Rights issue, not an FCC issue.

They do not control the internet. That is why NAD sued Netflix under the ADA making it an accommodations/Civil Rights issue, not an FCC issue.
NAD sued Netflix BEFORE FCC made this new law.

BTW, it's mentioned that FCC has some controls over broadband which means internet.

I didn't join, I got it as a gift
Oh, that's nice but unfortunately you are not happy with the gift. BTW, it will take time for those video businesses to add captions required by FCC's new law which, to me, is not satisfactory because we still have to wait and wait. That sucks so that's why I prefer VOD that offers new releases with captions but of course it's costly.

Back