Netflix CC-NO, Subtitles-YES

why doesn't this video have CC? WHERE'S THE CC, YOU INCONSIDERATE [BLEEP]!!!!!

I'm ddddeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaffffffffffff!!!!

Youtube doesn't have CC, it has subtitles, you lazy bum. Get out of my sight.

So.. you're saying... there are deaf people out there who join Netflix only to find out that they have subtitles, but not CC, and... get upset about it? Why? They prefer the black background? Or does anyone actually go out and buy a CC decoder for TV?

I must be missing something...
Oh, ok, I am sorry for not clarifying again. I am sure that you are aware that MOST TVs have neflix app but subtitles button is not there. That's the problem. I am trying to explain one more time.

EX: Tom has a TV which includes Netflix app and a built-in CC decoder. And he doesn't know much about Netflix himself. Then he hears someone says Netflix has CC. So he joins it and finds that CC is not working and unfortunately there's no subtitles button available in Netflix menu on TV.

It can confuse deafies who are not familiar with Netflix. I hope that's clear enough. I know that someone who says it uses "CC" as a shortcut but actually that's misinformation. CC is closed captioning, not subtitles or SDH. People think I am picky, oh, well. I think I better stop commenting on it after this.

BTW, Netflix announced that they are working with many manufacturers regarding the subtitles button for TVs and BD players in the near future. I am not sure about TIVO HD DVR's Netflix app. (I love TIVO but I can't afford it.)

Last edited:
Oh, ok, I am sorry for not clarifying again. I am sure that you are aware that MOST TVs have neflix app but subtitles button is not there. That's the problem. I am trying to explain one more time.

EX: Tom has a TV which includes Netflix app and a built-in CC decoder. And he doesn't know much about Netflix himself. Then he hears someone says Netflix has CC. So he joins it and finds that CC is not working and unfortunately there's no subtitles button available in Netflix menu on TV.

It can confuse deafies who are not familiar with Netflix. I hope that's clear enough. I know that someone who says it uses "CC" as a shortcut but actually that's misinformation. CC is closed captioning, not subtitles or SDH. People think I am picky, oh, well. I think I better stop commenting on it after this.

BTW, Netflix announced that they are working with many manufacturers regarding the subtitles button on TVs and BD players in the near future. I am not sure about TIVO HD DVR's Netflix app. (I love TIVO but I can't afford it.)

What took those clowns so long?

What took those clowns so long?
Don't ask me, ask the company. LOL Hopefully more manufacturers will make a deal with Netflix soon. But when it happens, will some deaf customers be able to afford another one (TV or BD player)?

As for me, I am not interested because I don't like its 3-lines SDH and also no new releases on streaming, sadly. That's why the monthly fee is much cheaper than VOD (Video On Demand's average cost for each rental movie is $5.99 and it offers new releases on time and almost all of the movies are closed captioned.)

Don't ask me, ask the company. LOL Hopefully more manufacturers will make a deal with Netflix soon. But when it happens, will some deaf customers be able to afford another one (TV or BD player)?

As for me, I am not interested because I don't like its 3-lines SDH and also no new releases on streaming, sadly.

About a year ago I had a trial membership of Netflix and was FURIOUS there were no captions. I had to watch foreign films and a lot of King Fu flicks, much to the consternation of my friends. :giggle: I finally cancelled the membership. A couple weeks ago, though, I decided I needed to work out my lungs with karate yells, so I renewed my membership. I was surprised to see the vast majority of films having subtitles available. Last night I watched Star Trek for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. I refuse to watch a movie with no captioning or subtitles, as everyone around me are jolly well aware of.

About a year ago I had a trial membership of Netflix and was FURIOUS there were no captions. I had to watch foreign films and a lot of King Fu flicks, much to the consternation of my friends. :giggle: I finally cancelled the membership. A couple weeks ago, though, I decided I needed to work out my lungs with karate yells, so I renewed my membership. I was surprised to see the vast majority of films having subtitles available. Last night I watched Star Trek for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it. I refuse to watch a movie with no captioning or subtitles, as everyone around me are jolly well aware of.
Yeah, remember time changes so do things. It's getting better than before. Also FCC now recognizes our equal rights. I am glad to hear that you enjoy it. I assume that 3-lines SDH doesn't bother you at all.

Yeah, remember time changes so do things. It's getting better than before. Also FCC now recognizes our equal rights. I am glad to hear that you enjoy it. I assume that 3-lines SDH doesn't bother you at all.

Nope. I just wish that ALL movie theaters have captioning. It gets to be a drag turning down invitations to movies, but I yam what I yam.

Nope. I just wish that ALL movie theaters have captioning. It gets to be a drag turning down invitations to movies, but I yam what I yam.
I know what you mean. Of course we want all movies to be captioned. CV/OC movies are mainly box-office hits, not low-budget ones but it's better than nothing. However I just wait patiently for new releases on DVD/BD since I prefer to watch them on my 55" TV at home comfortably. That's just me.

BTW, Netflix announced that they are working with many manufacturers regarding the subtitles button for TVs and BD players in the near future. I am not sure about TIVO HD DVR's Netflix app. (I love TIVO but I can't afford it.)

But see.... that's not really a "CC vs subtitles" thing, that's more of a "Not ALL netflix versions (Wii, TV app, BluRay app, etc) have the subtitle option." thing. I heard that Netflix online streaming had subtitles, so I was like yay! and subscribed to the online streaming. I found out that I can't get subtitles through the Netflix on my BluRay player. I can only watch movies through my laptop which had the subtitle option. Luckily, I had a Wii also, and saw that they DID put the subtitle option for Netflix through Wii.

Now, if someone told me "Netflix has CC" instead of subtitles, I still would have the same problem, so it makes no difference to me whether it's subtitles or CC.

Wirelessly posted

The two terms "started out" from two different things. Closed captioning was originally a term that means providing visual text dialog for the hearing impaired (forgive the term). Where subtitles where originally made for providing visual text dialog in other languages.

Basically:
CC = Deaf/HOH
Subtitles = language translation

The terms aren't so embedded in those original meanings anymore. CC does not always have a black background. That's not what makes it CC. Subtitles can have that black background too. It all depends on the feature of the software or hardware that's providing the video. For example some DVDs has the feature of turning this back ba kground on as well as some digital video players and software (such as VLC Player in a computer). Hulu.com also allows you to turn this on and off.

Today the two terms basically mean the same thing. They are both used for providing for deaf/HOH and translating language.

I wouldn't worry about what it's called at all. I only worry if it's available or not.

Back