Nervous

dorothy5664

Reaction score
This is probably going to sound nuts, but I am wondering what I have gotten myself into. I have committed to going to a Deaf bowling tournament today. Not as a visitor, but as a bowler (I don't even own my own bowling ball anymore). That, though, is not what I am nervous about. What I am nervous about is my communication skills. I've begun to think that I suffer from ASL public speaking, if there is such a thing. I can sign fairly well when I am at home, but when I need to sign with someone else, or in front of my ASL class, my fingers stumble all over themselves. And it is even worse when I am at Deaf events. Matter of fact, it took me five times to spell my own name correctly when signing in at the last one I went to. I am so nervous, I am almost thinking of backing out, which will serve absolutely no purpose. Anyone else have this problem and have any suggestions? My instructor thinks that it might be the result of my going to fast, which would make sense as that is what happens to orally speaking people when they are nervous. Anyway, I think I just need to be a big girl and go, and realize that the more I am in situations like this, the easier it will get.:eek2:

Yep, time to put on your big-girl panties! I've found that if I stop being self-conscious-worrying about making mistakes signing-and just do it, it comes more naturally. Just start signing and don't worry about being awkward or making a mistake-if someone doesn't understand, they'll ask you to repeat. Just have fun, bowl the best you can. :)

LOL on the big-girl panties! Now I am freaking out because I wanted to practice my PowerPoint presentation for class on Monday night and can't find the jump drive that I have all my school stuff on. Maybe it's an omen, but I will still go bowling.

As I was brought up as Oral, I did learn BSL when i was very small then i decided not to use it (i was 5!!) when i discovered lipreading. I rarely use BSL all my life and never use it when i am with my hearing friends, so in the last 15 years 5% of the time is with Deaf friends, I never went to deaf events. Recently I went to a CI conference for the weekend, In the villa i shared with are 5 born deaf, got CI as adults and they signed for england. of course i was nervous about meeting them for the 1st time... I just clicked and signed for england!!! It was great weekend, I never felt so belonged. And Already i am going to Deaf sign rally in 3 weeks... 2 deaf events in a month which is more than i ever did in my life!

You'll do fine.

What a fun time! I am so glad I went, even though I bowled terrible and my back is killing me. I think I was the only hearing person who bowled, although some of my classmates were there to cheer me on.

Way to go, Dorothy!!! :cheers:

That's good to hear! I'm glad you had fun, now remember this next time you freak out-just take a deep breath and dive into whatever it is! :)

Cheers! For you!...I'm a slow ASL signer myself and do stumble at times! My mind races faster than my fingers! And I still get "nervous" in front of many people!...It's normal!

It was great fun and a wonderful experience! It's funny, I felt more at ease signing than I do in class.

Back