Nervous About First Deaf Event

fishycracker

Reaction score
I am learning ASL this year and will most likely be attending my first deaf even tonight (if I can pay the $11, I'm not sure yet). I'm really nervous since I don't know alot of sign yet. Does anyone have any tips?

Update: I can't go because the tickets sold out but I'd still like some advice for the next time I have the opportunity to attend an event. :)

Best I can say is relax- just be yourself, don't try too hard. Some might help if you have a question on how to sign something.

And have lots of fun!

I hope you ll be with someone who familiars with ASL that would makes you feel comfortable and wont feel leftout.

I have anxiety when it comes to social situations and people I don't know. School, I'm fine. Youth group, I'm fine. New thing? I get really shakey and don't talk unless people talk to me first. So I'm mostly nervous about meeting new people. I would hope that someone comes to talk to me first. And hopefully someone who is patient because I'll probably get nervous and forget things.

I can understand the anxiety. I have to tell myself to stay calm and smile. Hope when you do go to one you have a good time :D

If you go with other students or people you know, it won't be as overwhelming. My advice would be to be calm and take it at your own pace. There will likely be people there willing to make allowances for new students. Soak it all in and enjoy yourself!

Back