Nerve deafness

You will love being deaf, because...

-you can not hear someone snoring on the airplane
-you can not hear kids screaming, talking loudly at swimming pool
-you will sleep peacefully during the bad thunderstorms
-you will enjoy learning and USE the visual 3D language

Why is it the worst disability? :hmm:

You would rather blind than being deaf, so you would ask your partner which color underwear you want to wear everyday?

Hi I'm John from Texas and I've been hard of hearing damn near completely deaf in both ears at 38. I absolutely hate being deaf it's is the worst illness a human being can have
Welcome to AllDeaf Forums!

What? You are probably one of the RARE group that hate being Deaf and no it isn't the worst illness a human being can have as it is a gift. You got a gift and embrace that gift! I can somewhat understand that there may be some fear for the people who starts to lose their hearing then becomes Deaf but please remember that there are MANY accesses out there that can ease. I would like for you to answer one of my question if possible. Why you think being Deaf is ill? Because you are scared that you would be degraded? If that is the case then rethink again because you will not be degraded just for that and don't let anyone else ever tell you different. Nonetheless if you need any helps with anything please do feel free to ask some of us to help which we would be more than happy if possible!

Welcome to the Deaf world. There are many advantages of being Deaf is being in Deaf community and you got any problems we got your back!

What? You are probably one of the RARE group that hate being Deaf and no it isn't the worst illness a human being can have as it is a gift. You got a gift and embrace that gift! I can somewhat understand that there may be some fear for the people who starts to lose their hearing then becomes Deaf but please remember that there are MANY accesses out there that can ease. I would like for you to answer one of my question if possible. Why you think being Deaf is ill? Because you are scared that you would be degraded? If that is the case then rethink again because you will not be degraded just for that and don't let anyone else ever tell you different. Nonetheless if you need any helps with anything please do feel free to ask some of us to help which we would be more than happy if possible!

Welcome to the Deaf world. There are many advantages of being Deaf is being in Deaf community and you got any problems we got your back!

I wonder where you get the Rare Group bit in regard to hating being deaf? Those that hate it are not likely to be on a deaf forum.

I can't say that my own feelings reach the point of hate. But I certainly do not regard it as a gift! Since my second ear has reached the profound stage I find it very, very,frustrating. The logistics of checking out a CI have had me putting that off because the closest centers are 2 couple hours away and in a big city where I have no desire to drive.

Those that have a "Deaf community" where they live don't ever seem to realize that there are areas where that does not exist. Even for those that have that communicating with the general population is far from as easy as it is for those that can hear.

Wel john.texas rocks! .chuck norris is badass!!!
And the alamo...and such..even pancho villa visisted a few times.....allot of fine ladies from the lone star....well,,,cough.....debbie does dallas was an influential art film of its times, .and....well..um.....
The texas chainsaw masscre, certainly a classic......anwyway...

I wonder where you get the Rare Group bit in regard to hating being deaf? Those that hate it are not likely to be on a deaf forum.

I can't say that my own feelings reach the point of hate. But I certainly do not regard it as a gift! Since my second ear has reached the profound stage I find it very, very,frustrating. The logistics of checking out a CI have had me putting that off because the closest centers are 2 couple hours away and in a big city where I have no desire to drive.

Those that have a "Deaf community" where they live don't ever seem to realize that there are areas where that does not exist. Even for those that have that communicating with the general population is far from as easy as it is for those that can hear.

You have the power to create the communiity, if where you sre one doesnt exist. All you have to do ie lesrn sign, and those closest to you, who wish to be a meaningfull part of your life, will learn and use sign with you. If they dont wish to, then you know how commited they are to being a meaningfull part of you life. Start with one sign a day with those close to you, thsts all. One sign a day, in a month you hsve 30 signs, in 3 months 90, so on...your frustration will fade away with ewch sign learned.
I get it..
Its not easy...and the easy road always seems the better...sure...
But the power is in your hands....
Snd its easier then one may first think,
Happy signing

I would not call being hoh a gift and it's not an illness , I would rather been born with hearing . A gift ,:roll: ! I am so glad my daughter and grandchild did not get this gift too !

I would not call being hoh a gift and it's not an illness , I would rather been born with hearing . A gift ,:roll: ! I am so glad my daughter and grandchild did not get this gift too !

Indeed hoh is not a gift, more akin to a sayter or halfbreed, but what ever it is, a gift its not...
Deaf is a gift...."-)

meh.

On one hand it is a curse. But on the other hand it could be seen as a gift- ASL is an awesome way to communicate and in many ways easier- even for hearing people- I used to see videos on the many benefits- communicate at a distance (though that part is kaput for me due to vision), underwater (hey why not...fun lol), in a loud crowded room...

"beauty is in the eye of the beholder" What one thinks as a gift, someone else would probably look down on.

meh.

On one hand it is a curse. But on the other hand it could be seen as a gift- ASL is an awesome way to communicate and in many ways easier- even for hearing people- I used to see videos on the many benefits- communicate at a distance (though that part is kaput for me due to vision), underwater (hey why not...fun lol), in a loud crowded room...

"beauty is in the eye of the beholder" What one thinks as a gift, someone else would probably look down on.

Indeed. The power lies in the mind. If one looks in the mirror and sees a lacking, a nagative, an affliction,an illness, a disease, a curse, a torment, a horrible fate, then through those lenses that person will see.
It truly is in the eye of the beholder

For some of these who think that being Deaf or Hard of Hearing isn't gift. That is absolutely fine if some of you think that they aren't considered as a gift as it is entirely your opinions but it is my opinion that it is a gift. The Captain. As for the rare groups, maybe that it's my fault because I don't see much as I live in a small area but at least in my area that is rare but I am sure on this earth it's not rare.

If you don't think that being Deaf or hard of hearing isn't considered a gift then great! That's your opinion after all, right? ;)

You speak for yourselves, I have spoken for myself only. I can actually somewhat understand the frustration in not being able to hear as I am hard of hearing (I am not Deaf). But still there is no needs to put negative in Deaf community especially who struggles? Deaf is ill, cancer, deadly, virus, dumb and many I have heard it all but in my opinion for myself it's not. If you say Deaf or Hard of Hearing is not a gift I will still think it is a gift because it is what I think not what you think. :P

For some of these who think that being Deaf or Hard of Hearing isn't gift. That is absolutely fine if some of you think that they aren't considered as a gift as it is entirely your opinions but it is my opinion that it is a gift. The Captain. As for the rare groups, maybe that it's my fault because I don't see much as I live in a small area but at least in my area that is rare but I am sure on this earth it's not rare.

If you don't think that being Deaf or hard of hearing isn't considered a gift then great! That's your opinion after all, right? ;)

You speak for yourselves, I have spoken for myself only. I can actually somewhat understand the frustration in not being able to hear as I am hard of hearing (I am not Deaf). But still there is no needs to put negative in Deaf community especially who struggles? Deaf is ill, cancer, deadly, virus, dumb and many I have heard it all but in my opinion for myself it's not. If you say Deaf or Hard of Hearing is not a gift I will still think it is a gift because it is what I think not what you think. :P

No you said this to the OP "You got a gift and embrace that gift!" So I would not call that saying for yourself . Great you can think it a gift , for the life of me I can't understand why anyone think this is a gift.

No you said this to the OP "You got a gift and embrace that gift!" So I would not call that saying for yourself . Great you can think it a gift , for the life of me I can't understand why anyone think this is a gift.

Because you refuse to sign. So thus to you its just a lacking...a ngative..a medical afflictin, a disorder, an abnormal stateof being human in need of treatment and a cure.
The capital D in Deaf isnt about the medical model. Its about our language and culture. That is where the gift lies..

That is my opinion and that is your opinion. I said it out of my opinion therefore it is for myself but only I said that out of the hope to make the OP to feel welcomed but apparently that's not the case. ;)
Because you refuse to sign. So thus to you its just a lacking...a ngative..a medical afflictin, a disorder, an abnormal stateof being human in need of treatment and a cure.
The capital D in Deaf isnt about the medical model. Its about our language and culture. That is where the gift lies..
And that answered it all. Thank you.

Hi I'm John from Texas and I've been hard of hearing damn near completely deaf in both ears at 38. I absolutely hate being deaf it's is the worst illness a human being can have

I would not go that far. Ok you entitled have few pity parties I HAD SOME OF THEM but with help there lots that can be done and it down to you.Obviously I like hearing back it aint going to happen..i look at it like this if at first you don't succeed redefine success and that what you do....NO reason why you cant live normal life..why do you say worst illness,first it not an illness...I rather be deaf than have migraines everyday

Back