'Negro' on Census Form Offends Some.....

I'm surprised at the census.

If Negro is unacceptable, then Caucasian is also unacceptable, right?

They don't really call us white, just Caucasian as it is technical word for where they came from (Europe). I think African Americans would be better suited, but It's not my place to figure out the appropriated technical word for it.

that is a good question...our census for canada is either in english or french I would imagine anything u get in the mail from the gov't is usually in both

no usually the derogatory term for someone who is spanish is a spic not sure bout any other term tho but negro is just the color black

no usually the derogatory term for someone who is spanish is a spic not sure bout any other term tho but negro is just the color black

He's asking if Spanish speakers use it in a derogatory way.

One would have to ask Nathan and Violet. Maybe Oceanblue.

Yeah. I don't think it was used as a derogatory term in English but then I'm not as famliar with Black history as I should be.

I used to live in an Mexican neighborhood till last year and there was a gorcey store across from me and when I bought black beans, they were labeled negro frijoles . It's basically used to describe anything that's black in Spanish. Frijoles is Spanish for beans.

my ex is spanish and he would say spic with him and his friends but didn't like it when other ppl called him that very mch...or if u call someone spanish from south america a mexican...they hate that

Yeah. I don't think it was used as a derogatory term in English but then I'm not as famliar with Black history as I should be.

I used to live in an Mexican neighborhood till last year and there was a gorcey store across from me and when I bought black beans, they were labeled negro frijoles . It's basically used to describe anything that's black in Spanish. Frijoles is Spanish for beans.

So what is the Spanish word for Black people? I just wonder if they use the Spanish word for the color black to identify race.

my ex is spanish and he would say spic with him and his friends but didn't like it when other ppl called him that very mch...or if u call someone spanish from south america a mexican...they hate that

I think they would use the word Hispanic on forms and census.

So what is the Spanish word for Black people? I just wonder if they use the Spanish word for the color black to identify race.

That's exactly what I'm wondering. I'm not concerned with derogatory terms for black people in Spanish, but rather just, if "negro" refers to the race as well as the color, and if so, if it's neutral like the English "black."

Or "Latino." I come across a lot of "White Hispanic" and "Non-White Hispanic" too. Not really sure what those are supposed to mean.

Latin America got a really complex ethnic history. Some people maintained European ancestry, while others maintained African ancestry, but both groups still consider themselves as Hispanics.

Caucasion was never used as a derogatory term negro was

I agree with you AliciaM! I never heard anyone use the work Caucasion as a
derogatory term ! I have heard of whitey or honky use a derogatory term !
Nergo is a derogatory term ! None of my Black friends would want to be called a Nergo!

On Monday, the U.S. Census Bureau launched their campaign to count more than 300 million American residents. They are relying on cutting-edge technology and social media such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to appeal to African-Americans and heighten awareness about the 2010 census.
Yet, one of the form's 10 questions uses what many consider an outdated and offensive term, and may lead some African-Americans to ask just how far the country has come.
Question No. 9 on the form, which will be mailed out beginning March 15, asks: "What is Person 1's race?"
The answer choices are: "White; Black, African-American, or Negro; American Indian or Alaska Native."
While the term "Negro" has appeared in previous census forms, some young or first-time African-American census participants may find it offensive, which could present a problem for the 2010 census campaign, which has focused on inclusion. The word " Negro" is on the census , but the census does not have biracial or Asian or other culture to pick from! I know a lot people that are biracial , they have a white mother and Black father.

Back