needing to vent

ncote418

Reaction score
Hello. I am an 18 year old girl who is now a freshman in college. I have had a hearing loss in both ears since i was about one years. Throughout my childhood, i was told that i will never be successful and that my parents should just give up on me. This was coming from my doctors. In elementry school, people always made fun of me because i had a piece of metal in my ear and told me that my parents put a bomb in my head when i was born. I hated to go to school. I pretended to be sick all the time, using my ears to come home and it worked. When middle school came, people started opening up and asking me about my hearing aids and how i lost it, but there were always those people who took it too far. It is not fair what i had to go through as a child; if i went back to my elementry years, i would have probably told my parents to switch schools. Why was i treated so differently? Another people tend to do is make fun of me when i say what? If i said that, then they can kindly repeat themselves instead of rubbing it into my face.

Young people who are hearing are rude and not very nice to any person who are different than they are. You are not the only one and there are other d/Deafies who had gone the same route as you. Your parents think that doctors are Gods but they are not. They are more human than we are and they can be ignorant if they don't understand deafness and Deaf Culture. Your parents are being ignorant because of what the doctors told them to. Tsk! Tsk!

Mine was a little bit different but my parents want me to go into mainstream schools and I find it hard to struggle without ASL and only deal with oral-only program. They all expect us to be hearing like them. They need an education to learn why we are deaf and why we can not be like them as hearing person. Hearing people have no idea what it is like to live in a silence world. Talk to your counselor or your teacher on how to educate hearing bullies. All I could give you my suggestion is to tell your parents that they need to listen to your needs as a Deaf person. You need special accommodations like ASL interpreter and closed captioned whether on T.V or projector so that you can learn something going on in the classrooms. Also while you are having ASL interpreter, you need notetakers to jot down what the teacher said and then after they have done, they will give you copies of what they wrote either from the teacher or the blackboard.

You have a right to be angry and frustrated and want to express your feelings. Just take a deep breath and relax. I am glad that you are here. Keep on posting. :hug:

yeah plus guess what? hearing aids comes in cool colors now as U can see mine cause they have swag!

Back