Need your advice abt this.

I own a VP and I do think the ownership of VP is questionable.

Even thou I never had an installer tell me to use VP or lose it but from my understanding that the Goverment never pay for VP device or the installer payroll to install VP into your home and SVR only source of income is from the relay calls itself.

I have a friend who had a vp for awhile and only use it for deaf to deaf calls never made a relay call on VP becasue he use text relay. Then about 8 month later an installer contacted him setting up an appointment saying SVR require him to go over and re-train him to use VP becasue VRS thought he was having diffcultly making relay calls with it or did not know how to make relay calls on vp so they wanted to be sure he knew how to make relay call since it their only source of income to cover the vp device cost and the installer payroll and my friend don't like stranger looking at him in videos that why he never use vp as relay calls.

If the goverment never did pay for the VP device or the installer payroll then I can understand why VSR is concern about you having a VP and never use it to make relay calls since they need the income from relay calls to cover the cost of the vp device they put in your home and the cost of installer payroll to install and train you using VP.

If Goverment do pay for VP device and do pay for installer payroll then I agree with you all that VP belongs to you and VRS have no right to bother you about why you don't use it often or make relay call using VRS etc but question is does goverment pay or SVR pay for VP device and installer cost?

I do not support or sponsor relay calls or service of any types but they did give you a 200 dollar device in hope that you would generate income for them to cover the cost of the device and thier staff payrolls by using VRS relay services so if you do not want to be bound by thier rules just send the vp back to them and get a webcam or your own vp.

I may send my vp back to them becasue it having too many problem lately like Missed calls are not being recorded or friend thinking I turn off my VP to avoid thier calls etc and it quite annoying so I might just get a web cam which I use before the VP and send the VP back to SVR.

When I read this topic and it is pointless. Right now, the analog is going away and say bye bye because the TTY do run on analog until digital is taking over the line. However, the tty still depend on analog for example, it won't work on VoIP because it is digital. So far, the TTY company already stop making that tty while small company still make that TTY.

In the future, if you don't want videophone. What is your purpose? You don't like interpreter see you then that mean you don't want another person see you too? How is that different beside, the interpreter is make food at their table plate for children.

If one of us prefer not need interpreter and think that TTY is good enough. It is out of question that interpreter cannot able stay work at VRS and look for another. Beside, the Sorenson VRS got 13 million minutes per month. It is pretty high and that FCC paid for those for 5 dollar per minutes mean worth 65 millions dollar a month for average annual is 780 million dollars! Of course, it will raise in future.

We just have to keep remember and we should thanks to Sorenson that provide a good Videophone until there VP200 out and have great product. It will have more feature but when they are release that... The writing programmer isn't cheap because they have to test and test before they can screw up our videophone.

So what the big deal about taking our video phone away? If we don't use TTY relay, they will lay off the relay operator. Who fault, us.. because we don't use that service.

About the sponsor, if I am owner, I would like to sponsor but not like threated as example what Intel did to Dell to remove AMD processor.

No one is forced you but who did that problem is training and they are looking for a way to scare people off which it wouldn't approve from VRS company.

About the Webcam, I rather to have videophone better than webcam, I don't have to sit front the computer and depend on the computer. I don't like IP Address as Sorenson Videophone is taking care of my ip address.

About SPY! What the different about telephone have governor record our lines. The worse part they are listen the specific word such as talking about bomb planner. The machine filter the word that will begin record. Sorenson don't do but they are checking on us which is nice.

One of my friend is not comfortable about contact Tech Support because they accident took Ethernet out wrong. Until one day the installer came to friend's apartment. My friend was shock and happy to know that Sorenson care to be sure that videophone is working. After all my friend is careful with Ethernet and knows that Sorenson will send someone to my friend house.

Speaking about free, it nothing be free to get videophone. The make million dollar to make that happen for our future.

If you don't like that idea, why keep it? Why want send it back? Sorenson wouldn't ask unless the policy agreement say so.

Just remember that, the ip address is same idea in 1900's when they invest the telephone. They have to wait for operator to answer and give them a number to able directly to person.

It is the same thing what we are right now. It is Deaf's turn be like 2000's as 1900's... we have to deal with ip address until the phone number taken over.

Same idea the telephone that ip address take over due phone number in their service take care instead ask the operator. Sometime the phone pad not working, you will transfer to operator and the operator will ask for the phone number.

It is the same thing about Sorenson's vision to make all easier for us. Why uglies....

About HOVRS, they did good but they are turn me off. One did pick their nose front of me. One didn't follow instruction what I told and gave me the eyes roll over at me. I don't feel respect, I found is rude... HOVRS need training them like Sorenson and i711 do.

I don't know why you guy are whining about Sorenson.

Such as Sorenson screw up our videophone... Who fault, you guy point at Sorenson. They are new process and it is small while they are grow and expand fast. Someday, it will be smooth like a river.

Same thing with the internet, we have to dial dial dial the number until high speed took over, no more dial.

The next step, they are working on electric high speed mean it can cover area where the people live...

It is about technical create a good choice for Deaf community. If you don't like person see you and then why are you talking to alldeaf.com What the different...

i711 and Sorenson, I glad they do what I told...

If your talking about my post then you misread it so read it again carefully please becasue you are way off base there.

When I read this topic and it is pointless. Right now, the analog is going away and say bye bye because the TTY do run on analog until digital is taking over the line. However, the tty still depend on analog for example, it won't work on VoIP because it is digital. So far, the TTY company already stop making that tty while small company still make that TTY.

I never talked about old analog or tty in my post.

I talked about the cost of VP and who really own VP. YOU? or SVR? because the poster earlier said that SVR installer told them that it can be taken away if they don't use it to make SVR relay calls.

I know analog is the things of the past and if you read my other post you will know that I am very up to dated on my commucitions needs and even have my own ip relay phone number so hearing people can call me and contact me quickly without explaining to them about relay services thur ip text or vp or wireless.

In the future, if you don't want videophone. What is your purpose? You don't like interpreter see you then that mean you don't want another person see you too? How is that different beside, the interpreter is make food at their table plate for children.

I like my VP and I enjoy it and always use to chat with all my deaf buddies on it.

But SVR doesn't want you to get a VP solely for chatting with your deaf buddies becasue SVR need you to call thier relay services so they can bill the goverment for the cost per minutes you use SVR relay service **TO PAY** for your VP-100/200 hardware and installer payroll.

I use SVR relay whenever I can but sometime text relay like IP relay are much faster becasue during the daytime there is a waiting time for an interpeter and wait and wait finally interpeter relay show up I would already done with my phone call by using text relay.

Like I explained in my post about my deaf buddy, he is strong ASL deaf and he does not need to make relay calls or need to call hearing people. His families all hearing but they chat each other on internet chat or page on AIM etc and talk to all his deaf buddies on internet chat too until we pest him get one VP-100 and he said naw he don't need calling hearing people or he have reason to call hearing people and we told him no no he can call other deaf people VP too! He think oh ok then he apply for VP-100 then finally got one install in his home. He like his VP but he still do not use it for relay becasue he have no need to call hearing but he like VP for call his deaf buddies then SVR told installer go visit his home check why he not using VP-100 to call SVR relay. SVR told installer go train him how to use SVR relay on VP-100 becasue they thought he don't know how to use VP-100 due he never called SVR for relay needs.

Now you understand what I am saying? SVR want my buddy to make relay calls but my buddy do not have reason to call hearing people. He live in small town so he drive to doctor office make appts or drive to store and discuss prices etc or drive to visit his families live in same town. He like VP-100 for chatting deaf buddies but SVR was picky about it so obvious they need him to use thier relay service so they can get MONEY! .. $$$$$$$ for to cover cost of VP-100 and cover cost of installer and cover cost of server and programmer etc Millions of dollars!!!! .. Who pay for it? Goverment yes but how do they bill the Goverment?? by charging per minute on relay service!!!

Person who started this post said SVR threaten to take away VP-100 if they don't show installer that they know how to use VP relay in front of him and my whole point in my post is who is the ownership of VP? YOU? SVR?

Do they have the right to take it away? To me ownership is still QUESTIONABLE!

Or maybe installer is full of BS making threats!

If one of us prefer not need interpreter and think that TTY is good enough. It is out of question that interpreter cannot able stay work at VRS and look for another. Beside, the Sorenson VRS got 13 million minutes per month. It is pretty high and that FCC paid for those for 5 dollar per minutes mean worth 65 millions dollar a month for average annual is 780 million dollars! Of course, it will raise in future.

I have not use TTY for a very long time and last time I use TTY maybe is about 10 years ago. I been using internet relay for all my relay service becasue TTY will cost long distance and internet relay is FREE charge to anywhere in world.

I do not even have a phone line at home. Just cable and internet service all I have at home.

If Sorenson make that much money per months then they would not ask the installer to go check up on people who not using VP-100 to make relay calls or be picky about it.

My buddy said that installer show up his home without check agree time and date but installer said "sorry SVR order me to go re-train you to use vp on SVR relay now so force me to come your house unexpected time."

We just have to keep remember and we should thanks to Sorenson that provide a good Videophone until there VP200 out and have great product. It will have more feature but when they are release that... The writing programmer isn't cheap because they have to test and test before they can screw up our videophone.

VP is a good product and I do like it to chat with my deaf buddies and it make it easy to commucite with them like hearing people have easy time to commuicte with thier hearing friends on phone every evenings to chat about update news or works etc and now deaf people can do the same.

Exactly! VP isn't cheap but if Goverment doesn't cover cost of hardware or installer or programmers then SVR need you to make relay calls so they can get thier money back since they gave you VP or did they give it to us? Why be picky about not using VP for a long time??? That my whole point!

So what the big deal about taking our video phone away? If we don't use TTY relay, they will lay off the relay operator. Who fault, us.. because we don't use that service.

About the sponsor, if I am owner, I would like to sponsor but not like threated as example what Intel did to Dell to remove AMD processor.

No one is forced you but who did that problem is training and they are looking for a way to scare people off which it wouldn't approve from VRS company.

Did you get VP to use for relay service or to use to chat with your deaf buddies?

I have many deaf buddies don't even have reason to call hearing people but they like VP to use to chat with thier deaf buddies becasue it easy and relaxing to chat on VP but finally installer come over and want to teach him how to use relay service???? He have no need to call hearing person. So does he deserve to keep VP or does SVR have the right to take VP away? Who is right?

If Goverment already paid for VP hardware then sure it belong to us.

About the Webcam, I rather to have videophone better than webcam, I don't have to sit front the computer and depend on the computer. I don't like IP Address as Sorenson Videophone is taking care of my ip address.

VP is much easiler to use than a webcam but with webcam I *KNOW* I own it becasue I paid for it and it cannot be taken away from me or use it as a threat againist me to use thier relay service or lose it.

My VP sits on top of my computer monitor and is plugged into my computer becasue I rather keep it out of my living room so I can enjoy my watch VP and other can chat on VP not interrupt my enjoy watching tv.

Look at hearing families and friend and lovers, what about them? I know many hearing people so bad want to buy VP even pay 300 dollar for VP so they can commuicate with thier family members but SVR doesn't want to sell them and they tell them to go Dlink or use webcam?!?! then they have to deal with IP or computer software or all those.

Before VP I been using webcam and it as good as VP even use my own phone number using SL Envision SVR software on my computer and any VP can call to my webcam computer using just phone number not IP Address

But recently someone told me SVR now disable SL Envision not able to log on server anymore to store phone number like VP becasue so you cannot use webcam with phone number anymore to call other deaf VP with phone number. You must find IP address. Why SVR change this?? They don't want hearing families use webcam to call thier deaf family using phone number method instead of ip address??

About SPY! What the different about telephone have governor record our lines. The worse part they are listen the specific word such as talking about bomb planner. The machine filter the word that will begin record. Sorenson don't do but they are checking on us which is nice.

Goverment spying have nothing to do about this thread????

One of my friend is not comfortable about contact Tech Support because they accident took Ethernet out wrong. Until one day the installer came to friend's apartment. My friend was shock and happy to know that Sorenson care to be sure that videophone is working. After all my friend is careful with Ethernet and knows that Sorenson will send someone to my friend house.

So SVR installer show up your friend house without contacting your friend first to make an appt and time and date agree?

What if your friend have a family death or passed away and they are having a wake gathering at thier house and installer knock on friend door wonder why they have not use VP for long time.

Even cable installer wouldn't come over to people house unless they have a agreed appt and time to do so.

SVR installer need thier butt kicked and learn to respect people's private time if the installer can't contact them cuz vp not working still no excuse they still can e-mail or use old fashion post office mail asking them.

Speaking about free, it nothing be free to get videophone. The make million dollar to make that happen for our future.

If you don't like that idea, why keep it? Why want send it back? Sorenson wouldn't ask unless the policy agreement say so.

Just remember that, the ip address is same idea in 1900's when they invest the telephone. They have to wait for operator to answer and give them a number to able directly to person.

It is the same thing what we are right now. It is Deaf's turn be like 2000's as 1900's... we have to deal with ip address until the phone number taken over.

Same idea the telephone that ip address take over due phone number in their service take care instead ask the operator. Sometime the phone pad not working, you will transfer to operator and the operator will ask for the phone number.

It is the same thing about Sorenson's vision to make all easier for us. Why uglies....

About HOVRS, they did good but they are turn me off. One did pick their nose front of me. One didn't follow instruction what I told and gave me the eyes roll over at me. I don't feel respect, I found is rude... HOVRS need training them like Sorenson and i711 do.

I don't know why you guy are whining about Sorenson.

They are not whining about Sorenson.

They are questioining do the installer have the right to threaten them.

Some of us rather say SCREW THIS and tell them to take it back than be threaten or bow before any companies.

Even myself I will not tolerate any person on this earth to threaten me or my family. I always respects people around me and earn thier respect back from them too.

Anyone threaten me get the boot out and they can take thier junk with them.

I think Sorenson is wonderful to provide VP to deaf commuities but why send installer back to people home and make threats to take it away?

Maybe this installer is a bad person and trying to steal thier VP and Sorenson never did order installer to threat to take thier VP.

But same with my friend installer did come his house unexpected and want to re-train him to use VP on relay service. Is that right?

Such as Sorenson screw up our videophone... Who fault, you guy point at Sorenson. They are new process and it is small while they are grow and expand fast. Someday, it will be smooth like a river.

Same thing with the internet, we have to dial dial dial the number until high speed took over, no more dial.

The next step, they are working on electric high speed mean it can cover area where the people live...

It is about technical create a good choice for Deaf community. If you don't like person see you and then why are you talking to alldeaf.com What the different...

i711 and Sorenson, I glad they do what I told...

Again this thread is not about hardware issue or hardware problem.

It's about hardware OWNERSHIP and do installer have the autorization to go to deaf people houses and ask them why they not been using relay service?? Maybe they been using another company relay service becasue it better and faster reponse than SVR eh?

It isn't point about the TTY. I am just support that TTY that will lead Video Phone. I am just tell you about the TTY is starting stop make that device. The Ultratec already layoff the employee who building the TTY. It not only main because of Video Phone, it include because Government start cutting that fund due save money on TTY can be use internet. The person who got lay off and not mad about it. They know what it would happen due the internet TTY and Video Phone can affect business.

About the installer, I do know some installer isn't honest because they are after the money and they want to come over and knock our the door. It not only Sorenson, it include another CSDVRS and another. Some are being meanie to force us to use it so they get can get paid even those the VRS company didn't told do that to us.

Like, right now the CSDVRS is sending trainer to each house and get paid 25 dollars something like that. The CSDVRS trainer forced some people to add on their videophone without appointment and unexpect. I am talking about that CSD is bother me that they use email via deafvp.com and asking to make appointment. I am talking about CSDVRS trainer went and add other i2eye or the VP100/200. It not always Sorenson and didn't do to another i2eye. So-- if the installer do to me, then I will have to contact to VRS about this. Some VRS provider didn't force trainer, because only trainer is 50 percent honest and other 50 percent like not honest similar as bad cop.

They just simple complaint to vrscomments@sorenson.com. So the Sorenson can score on installer's perform that can affect them. Same idea, if we complaint about AOL customer service perform from each person who we speak with.

I know some people refused use the video relay because the person is watch you between hearing person and you. Some people prefer use TTY as stuck from old fashion. I prefer to use Sorenson because I did try several time with another VRS to talk with hearing people. They didn't like that service and they prefer Sorenson. I don't know because I am not hearing. They want faster way to contact instead giving information but if that benefit then we have to do it.

Sometime, I know some school for the deaf is banning to have Sorenson Videophone due contract with another HOVRS or CSDVRS. Some student complaint about that because parent can't call and talk with their kid thru the videophone. The parent have to contact the school for deaf and make note that parent like to talk with son or the daughter. When they get chance to talk on videophone to call thru VRS by restrict student can't use another VRS.

Some student prefer Sorenson because it easy to input the phone number then call. Instead of repeating but that what I understand and the school for deaf banned this.

I am just share that comment but sorry.

Add note to Techbill, I am not refer about your post, I am refer all those general post and want share that.. I am not talking about who is wrong.

I looked up the Sorenson's website and found this question. Here is the info:

How is Sorenson VRS funded?

All VRS companies are funded by a federal fund, administered by NECA (National Exchange Carriers Association) that funds traditional Telecommunication Relay Service (TRS). These funds are made available by a federal law, the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), which requires functional equivalency in telecommunications access. Sorenson Communications is reimbursed for the minutes of Sorenson Video Relay Service (VRS) calls that are interpreted. Sorenson Communications is not reimbursed for equipment that is supplied including videophones, routers, switches, or any other equipment.

Actually, I also read another article on the website. Some people and company owers have been donating to the Sorenson Company for millions of dollars. That is how you got a VP for free.

I looked up the Sorenson's website and found this question. Here is the info:

How is Sorenson VRS funded?

All VRS companies are funded by a federal fund, administered by NECA (National Exchange Carriers Association) that funds traditional Telecommunication Relay Service (TRS). These funds are made available by a federal law, the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), which requires functional equivalency in telecommunications access. Sorenson Communications is reimbursed for the minutes of Sorenson Video Relay Service (VRS) calls that are interpreted. Sorenson Communications is not reimbursed for equipment that is supplied including videophones, routers, switches, or any other equipment.

Actually, I also read another article on the website. Some people and company owers have been donating to the Sorenson Company for millions of dollars. That is how you got a VP for free.

So it mean that goverment never pay for the VP-100/200 or routers etc.

Now question is when SVR put VP-100/200 in our home,

Is belong to us to keep?
OR
Still belong to SVR that they can any time take it back?

That is one important question need to know so if installer try to claim can take it from us then we can tell installer go away that they are lies and try BS! us and report them or do SVR tell installer warning us they can take away if we don't use enough to call SVR Relay.

Sorenson owns it

Now question is when SVR put VP-100/200 in our home,

Is belong to us to keep?
OR
Still belong to SVR that they can any time take it back?

Techbill,

Here are the license agreements for Sorenson VP100 and VP200. The agreement specifically says you are under no obligation to use it for VRS, but Sorenson retains ownership of all the hardware they install.

MM

Sorenson VRS

I lost the link to show you the list who donated Sorenson Company. I am not sure that the company removed the web-page (the link).

'xcuse me for going a bit off-topic here...

TTY won't work on VoIP
Well, it depends on the quality of Internet connection (quality of service and speed). Mine worked over Comcast with Vonage. But I can't dial 711 through Vonage.

'xcuse me for going a bit off-topic here...

Well, it depends on the quality of Internet connection (quality of service and speed). Mine worked over Comcast with Vonage. But I can't dial 711 through Vonage.

Did you contact the Vonage about the 711? If I were you, I will not give it up. I will shove it up their ass to fix the problem because we need to get rid of the walls in our era.

I've already done this last year before I subscribe to Vonage and Vonage already told me that it won't add support for 711 dialing.

I will do it again.

--Update: OK. I sent the e-mail to Vonage:

Hi. Do you have any plans for adding 711-dialing? Like dialing 911, dialing 711 routes the line to the state relay service, so if I'm living in Tallahassee, FL (850), then I will be connected to Florida Telecommunication Relay Service.

If Vonage wants to target the people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing (I am hearing impaired), Vonage will have to add support for dialing 711 relay. Otherwise, the caller(s) who dial 711 will have to dial a state relay service number (in this case, 1-800-955-8771 for Florida Relay Service). So if those who are deaf wanted to move to another state, they will have to choose a different phone number for relay service and remember/store the phone number. Contrast with 711 dialing. 711 is the easiest number the people who are deaf/hard-of-hearing can memorize.

Last edited:
I've already done this last year before I subscribe to Vonage and Vonage already told me that it won't add support for 711 dialing.

I will do it again.

--Update: OK. I sent the e-mail to Vonage:

It does not work this way because you are too soft - Smile.

I recommend that Vonage requires to set up a 711. This 711 is a main relay telephone number for hearing impaired people to communicate thru the telephone with a 3rd party service using a text phone machine (i.e. TTY or TDD). This is extremely important for you to provide this number because we depend on the relay service for our communication. Please consider it otherwise there might be a new law (for instance ADA which stands for Americans with Disablities Act) that enforce you to install it with your own expense unexpectedly.

Please read the ADA on http://ada.gov .

Thank you.

How that sounds good? Do you have a better than this one?

Well, I will do the best I can. I will wait for Vonage's response and see what happens.

Try making a TTY-to-TTY call through IP-Relay. Get someone to dial your IP-Relay phone number via TTY. It won't work. I can't receive incomming TTY calls through IP-Relay. With costs low as $24.95/month, VoIP is my solution. So please keep in mind that businesses cannot move from TTY to text messaging and most businesses cannot accept IP-Relay calls but maybe just TRS (telecommunication relay service) calls via TTY.

Anyway, here's my response:

Dear Grayson Peddie,

Thank you for contacting Customer Care.

We understand from your email that you would like to add 711 dialing feature in Vonage.

We currently do not offer this Feature. We are constantly enhancing the scope of our features, so please check the website if we start offering Distinctive Ring in the future.

Eh???? Geez.. I am confused here.... I though this topic was talking abt if anyone should use VP more often or not like what RedheadGrrl said in her topic????? Then PLEASE DO NOT GO OFF TOPIC GO OTHER POST, THANKS!

I wanna to know more abt this thing of what she (RedheadGrrl) have found out yet or not, that I have been waiting for a long time!!

So please keep this topic going to abt this thing ONLY!!! Thank you!

Sorry, RedheadGrrl, I am doing this for u cuz I want to know what is happened to ur friend... know I mean?

AngelWolf - You are right. We all want to hear from her, too. I hope that she will get an email from the company soon. It is almost two weeks that she has not posted it here yet. Tapping Tapping :hmm:

AngelWolf - You are right. We all want to hear from her, too. I hope that she will get an email from the company soon. It is almost two weeks that she has not posted it here yet. Tapping Tapping :hmm:

Thank you... yea still waiting but may take time.... oh well.. but once again thanks for stopping using as topic off... :)

Back