Need to Vent out...

BigSpike

Reaction score
Unfair Action Taken...

Hello...I just wanted to get my own feeling outside since I am kinds of emotionally and boiled up...I had received the support from my close friends who are deaf as I am...ok let story begin....

I work as case manager for the deaf at agency...my co worker (hoh), and my staff interpreter...my deaf supervisor was unable to attend due to called in sick...we attended staff picnic at one of hearing staff's house which have large arces give some plenty of space for picnic in nice weather. I was arrived with warmly welcome, my dear friend who is hearing woman and have physical disability called MD...she is very young and pretty, she uses the 3 wheels wheelchair...she guided us around the house...then the cook off hitted off...I was chatty with my hoh co worker and staff interpreter until one of staff got passed out due to very hot outside...the 911 was called...so staff who got passed out...asked staff interpreter to go with her to hospital for support...then they left for hospital. The picnic was dropped off into suddenly silence sound like bomb was dropped and exploded making them frozen..my hoh co worker and I was sitting motionless...other staffs was blahing too much and this sweetie woman with MD turned look at us said oh staff interpreter not around so its hard to communicate with us...so I got boiled up and walked away to the shadow area around tree and sat, felt so hurt...I was mad this I felt I was being ignored and left out...when picnic ended...I headed back home...my staff interpreter paged me and we had a good chat via email via my pager...she apologized to me and I told her it isnt her fault because she was stuck in somewhat situation...she and I discussed...as my staff interpreter told me ITS NO EXCUSE for hearing staffs to leave me alone not chatting with me...pen and paper is second options than none....She urged me to straight it out in next staff meeting...she agree this hearing staffs dont have common of sense to communicate with deaf staff as second options method.

The point is, Im getting sick of being left out so I REALLLLLY had ENOUGH OF BEING LEFT OUT....I wanted some respect...even I tried to chat but I was being ignore...do it sound fair to you when hearing friend or staff of your ignore without realizing your own communication skills.

Last edited:
:wave: BigSpike,

I've experienced like this right now at my work. One of the co-workers knows sign language as she was my former student when I taught her in ASL class. She moved out of this town to attend college in Idaho to take ASL class since she told me that she loves it. But, anyways... one other co-worker attended in ASL class, but she never tried to learn it and, she gave me a hard time to read her lips. Same with my boss, she attended in ASL class, too...but, never learned it. I don't think the older people who would try to learn it, but the young people are easy to learn it. The young co-worker who left this town for college, she is only 26 years old, but my boss... she is over 50's and so is other co-worker.

It's hard for me to meet their hearin' world without knowin' sign language. I believe that once they know sign language, it would bring the both world - deaf and hearin' - together and make things more easier for both of us. I don't like the feelin' of struggle or forcin' me to be patience with them. Sometimes, this world sucks...other times, it is great. It depends on who you met, the one who will not ignore you. It also depends on which person who is willin' to learn sign language to make your life more easier. We can't know WHO or WHICH person who is willin' to learn sign language. It's hard to be able to tell which or who. I wish every state, every country, every city/town, and every race is ALL deaf. lol ! But....

That's life !! :)

CyberRed said:
:wave: BigSpike,

I've experienced like this right now at my work. One of the co-workers knows sign language as she was my former student when I taught her in ASL class. She moved out of this town to attend college in Idaho to take ASL class since she told me that she loves it. But, anyways... one other co-worker attended in ASL class, but she never tried to learn it and, she gave me a hard time to read her lips. Same with my boss, she attended in ASL class, too...but, never learned it. I don't think the older people who would try to learn it, but the young people are easy to learn it. The young co-worker who left this town for college, she is only 26 years old, but my boss... she is over 50's and so is other co-worker.

It's hard for me to meet their hearin' world without knowin' sign language. I believe that once they know sign language, it would bring the both world - deaf and hearin' - together and make things more easier for both of us. I don't like the feelin' of struggle or forcin' me to be patience with them. Sometimes, this world sucks...other times, it is great. It depends on who you met, the one who will not ignore you. It also depends on which person who is willin' to learn sign language to make your life more easier. We can't know WHO or WHICH person who is willin' to learn sign language. It's hard to be able to tell which or who. I wish every state, every country, every city/town, and every race is ALL deaf. lol ! But....

That's life !! :)

Thank you for sharing your situation as it was much appreciated.... ;)

Back