Need to go college or self-study Graphic Design?

If you love photography, then I reckon you should complete the course. You put so much time and effort into your studies, and only have a few months left before acquiring your qualification.

One of my regrets is choosing not to do a graphics related course when I was younger. Like you, I felt that the creative industry is extremely competitive, thus prospects of finding a job is very slim.

I am also often told that people who are work in the graphics industry are doing marketing duties instead of graphic design. Moreover, I also know a few people who are qualified as graphic designers, and are fantastic designers, yet they could not find work.

Whilst I think it is true that employers want to see a good folio, they also want references and experience. And, in most cases, from my experience, they also want to see qualifications, whether it is a certificate or degree.

Although graphics is a difficult area to get into, realistically, what professional field is easy to break into anyway? In most cases, you need to know somebody.

I think that if you are interested in something that you enjoy doing, then you should at least make an effort to pursue your interest, because you may end up regretting not trying...

I am currently doing a graphic design course even though I do not know if I can get a job in the area. But, the thing is, I feel better about myself than wasting my life in an office doing monkey work (which I am currently doing).

As for business... Business is not my area. But, I do know of a few web designers who run their business from home. It doesn't seem to be rocket-science to run a small business.

Yeah anything related to art is basically a marketing/selling job no matter how you look at it. If a very talented artists cannot get a job, it is either because they don't know how to market themselves properly or because their work doesn't really fit anybody needs.

As for photography, thanks for advice. However I've decided I don't want to be a photographer for a living and prefer to do it as a hobby. But I may go back and get a degree one day.

Portfolio often are a proof of experience, but yes reference is incredibly helpful as well. But from my experience, absolutely none of employers have ever ask me to show some sort of qualification in photography. They just want to see the portfolio and maybe some reference and that's it.

As for running a business from home. You'd be surprise. If you're relying on your business for income and you run it from home, it isn't easy at all. You have to find your target market, figure how to get your foot in the door, how to keep your income steady, etc... There's just SO much to it.

I am both self educated and formally educated. I dropped out of college because i lost my hearing and started to do freelance.

I do mostly 3d art and have some published work here and there. I have had job offers from companies like toshiba and some animation studios out west. I have worked on 3 mtv videos, a few commercials, and animation pilot episodes. I don't work full time because of chronic health problems.

I recently tried to start a 3d animation motion capture company. Yup, like the movie Avatar. I got all the hardware, software, and lined up jobs i needed. I struggled to keep the business going because i could not find "reliable talented" artists.

We were working on a music video for mtv. Every time i hired an artist they kept making a lot of errors. Almost all of the artists i hired had confirmed college degrees. A couple didn't. It turned out that more of the useful people i hired never went to college.

The most important part is that i never took 3d sculpting or 3d computer generated art classes in college. I was a psych and graphic design major "dropout". :)

So stay motivated no matter what you choose and I'm sure you can do it!

I am both self educated and formally educated. I dropped out of college because i lost my hearing and started to do freelance.

I do mostly 3d art and have some published work here and there. I have had job offers from companies like toshiba and some animation studios out west. I have worked on 3 mtv videos, a few commercials, and animation pilot episodes. I don't work full time because of chronic health problems.

I recently tried to start a 3d animation motion capture company. Yup, like the movie Avatar. I got all the hardware, software, and lined up jobs i needed. I struggled to keep the business going because i could not find "reliable talented" artists.

We were working on a music video for mtv. Every time i hired an artist they kept making a lot of errors. Almost all of the artists i hired had confirmed college degrees. A couple didn't. It turned out that more of the useful people i hired never went to college.

The most important part is that i never took 3d sculpting or 3d computer generated art classes in college. I was a psych and graphic design major "dropout". :)

So stay motivated no matter what you choose and I'm sure you can do it!

Haha, I'm 16 and self-studying programming. I personally believe that someone who self-studies will be better in the long run because they know how to find information on something that they are working on, instead of relying on an instructor to tell them what to learn next. Also, someone who self-studies has a greater drive and desire to learn what they are learning, because they take the extra time to seek out the information themselves.. Just my opinion though

You nailed it right on! Most employer that wants to hire person who can take care of themself. No employer wants to babysit employees. Employer really don't have time for BS, and they are busy with something else.

Haha, I'm 16 and self-studying programming. I personally believe that someone who self-studies will be better in the long run because they know how to find information on something that they are working on, instead of relying on an instructor to tell them what to learn next. Also, someone who self-studies has a greater drive and desire to learn what they are learning, because they take the extra time to seek out the information themselves.. Just my opinion though

Well, I guess it depends on what you want to do it for...

If it's for personal experience, then you could do it at home... self-study.

If it's for professional work experience, then that would probably depend on how far you're willing to go to prepare yourself. Going to school can help you figure out what you need to know to make yourself a better artist. If you feel you can do it at home, then go for it. At the end, it would help to have a personal collection of artwork ready to present to possible employers if you want them to be convinced that they should hire you.

...At the end, it would help to have a personal collection of artwork ready to present to possible employers if you want them to be convinced that they should hire you.
Yes. A hard copy portfolio, and especially a digital portfolio (website, flash drive, discs) are important.

Yes, self activation is a plus. :)

Do you have peers and mentors with whom you can brainstorm, and who will give honest critiques of your work? No matter how skilled you are, it's important to get fresh eyes on your work, and different perspectives.

Nice to read discussion here.I got good knowledge after reading this.Thanks all guys who participated well in this discussion.I like these kind of forums where people are seriously discussing matters.

Last edited:
I also wanted to mention a forum i use a lot. CGTalk.com . It was a huge help for me when learning 3d art and graphic design software and techniques in genera.

Lots of top artists from top studios on that forum. They will help with tips and will provide links or resources like books or tutorials.

Its a great place.

Hi, I'm a graphic designer and have been one for about 15 years professionally - from my own personal experience, employers are far more interested in your portfolio than what school you attended. Every interview I went to, the first thing they wanted to see was not my resume, it was my portfolio. So, if you're a really good artist, you could get away with self-study and start trying right now to get clients no matter how small the job is. That's the other thing employers are interested in, who you worked for and what kinds of jobs you did for them.

and finally, set up an online portfolio of your works so you can send the link to potential employers and clients. They will ask you if you have an online portfolio somewhere so make sure you do.

Last edited:
At the college where I work, the major for graphic design includes a course for the exit portfolio, which also includes how to prepare the resume, interview, and make a presentation.

That's a Capstone class, right?

I have had to take a Gen Ed Capstone class - I picked the easiest course that my advisors recommended to me. 'Twas "Work, Employment, and Society," a sociology course at the 300-level (as per the grad requirements - at least 50 hours of 300/400 level - that req is strict and everyone pursuing a bachelor's degree has to follow that) - so EASY - I got an A on it.

A capstone course is usually taken in the senior year of undergraduate college - where students would apply everything they know from their majors to that capstone class.

What a informational thread!

I started teaching myself basic HTML and CSS by researching and looking it up on internet, then some more from error-by-trail as I tweaked with existing webpage (Thanks Myspace and LiveJournal back in the days!). Eventually I was able to write HTML and CSS codes from scratch afterwards.

I'm employed part-time with my family's business as the Multimedia Design Associate after a couple years as the Facility Project Assistant. I've really expanded my experience and skill with graphic design here.

At same time I am currently taking classes related to multimedia and web site design at a community college. I had Associate of Arts degree in Liberal Arts and I know that's not good enough to land a job in the industry so I'm going for a Fast-Track Certificate in Web Site Design as of now.

But I have a question for whose that's gotten a job, would that be good enough or do I have to push toward another degree in Graphic/Web Site Design? Do I need some certification for HTML, CSS, JavaScript and whatnot?

Back