Need suggestions for new career.

wubbie2steps

Reaction score
Hi, i am a school counselor.. i knew i always had hearing issues in middle school. Parents brushed it away saying i had water in the ear or i'm not paying attention when they call for me. ( if they had checked my hearing then i would definetly not have chosen counseling in graduate school)

Hearing got worse in college.. Parent finally went to audiologist sophmore year of college and all audiologist said was " you have a cookie bite" that's all:roll: no explination or anything..aren't some HMO's just lovely!

Grad school got worse still but had small classes. Finally got job and audiologist chose for me CIC (didn't offer me any choices on BTE or any other one?).. that 1 purchase put me in debt for years..

2006 right ear 55% loss Left ear 62%..10 months later 2007 right ear 55% loss and left 67% loss.. in a word i got really scared..

solution: moved to Texas, take advantage of opportunity to work while hearing is decent and get a second masters-- i think the best job would be instructional technologist b/c i could teach the teachers and they are with computers so they could type any questions?

What do you think?:hmm: any other job suggestions that would work?
also considering getting mini-BTE these Starkey CIC are not doing their job

Hi, i am a school counselor.. i knew i always had hearing issues in middle school. Parents brushed it away saying i had water in the ear or i'm not paying attention when they call for me. ( if they had checked my hearing then i would definetly not have chosen counseling in graduate school)

Hearing got worse in college.. Parent finally went to audiologist sophmore year of college and all audiologist said was " you have a cookie bite" that's all:roll: no explination or anything..aren't some HMO's just lovely!

Grad school got worse still but had small classes. Finally got job and audiologist chose for me CIC (didn't offer me any choices on BTE or any other one?).. that 1 purchase put me in debt for years..

2006 right ear 55% loss Left ear 62%..10 months later 2007 right ear 55% loss and left 67% loss.. in a word i got really scared..

solution: moved to Texas, take advantage of opportunity to work while hearing is decent and get a second masters-- i think the best job would be instructional technologist b/c i could teach the teachers and they are with computers so they could type any questions?

What do you think?:hmm: any other job suggestions that would work?
also considering getting mini-BTE these Starkey CIC are not doing their job

My suggestion would be to learn sign, and continue your school counseling career in a school for the deaf or as an advcate for deaf students in the mainstream. Your unique perspective on hearing loss would definately be an advantage in dealing with such students, or any student for that matter. Likewise, you could take the CRC, as I know of 3 Deaf rehab counselors in my area alone.

yeah i know i could do that but i am TIRED of being a counselor.. i want a career change so my hearing impairment is not the reason (it is a booster though!) to change careers.. i know i am limited due to my HOH but do you think the instructional technologist idea is good?

yeah i know i could do that but i am TIRED of being a counselor.. i want a career change so my hearing impairment is not the reason (it is a booster though!) to change careers.. i know i am limited due to my HOH but do you think the instructional technologist idea is good?

I misunderstood. I read it as if you were goving up counseling because you had become HOH. Sorry about that.

Yeah, if that's the area that interests you, then it defiantely sounds like a good idea. As a fellow counselor, I'll ask: Have you taken any of the career development or voc guidance assessments yourself? Never hurts to take, ourselves, some of the assessments we use for our clients. Could be a useful tool for you in the decision making process.

I wish you luck. I made a career change several years ago. I found it to be a very exciting time.

i will probably take one but i hate to see all those other careers listed that aren't possible for me do to my HOH status.. I am attempting to learn sign @ Austin School for the Deaf (hence the big move). ..i enjoy counseling but my ears make it frustrating and i don't know if i am burned out due to my ears or i just want a change. thanks for the help:wave:

Take this right please.......you need to do something you like, or even love doing. What are some general things you like???? If teaching is something you like, maybe expanding to education with something associated with deaf/hh individuals......

Let me put it like this. I have my FAVORITE thing that I get to do for job. There's nothing else I'd rather do.....but I don't think its the only thing I would like doing. Even if not your "favorite" thing there are career options you would likely enjoy doing or you are very curious doing. It sounds like you have wonderful education and skills, you could definately use some to be applied to another field, skill, or career. Being good at 1 thing can help you be good at something else. That really question you need to contemplate and think a lot about. It is very important thing. I am a BIG believer in career has to be something you like....If it is you will just be better at it, more knowledgeable, and get gratification and satisfaction out of it.

.....Maybe you just want some ideas, I dunno. I love biology, health care, and ANY physical science. If I didn't work in health care, there are other things I would still like to be able to do. The thing is finding the inspiration to go obtain more education if needed. Go over benefits and drawbacks to the things you love. There are drawbacks to everything...Im sure u know that....but balance it out and go for what will have best benefits. Then you can feel good about your decision and that you put thought and energy into your choice.

i will probably take one but i hate to see all those other careers listed that aren't possible for me do to my HOH status.. I am attempting to learn sign @ Austin School for the Deaf (hence the big move). ..i enjoy counseling but my ears make it frustrating and i don't know if i am burned out due to my ears or i just want a change. thanks for the help:wave:

Well, with accommodation, there really wouldn't be much that would be beyond your reach.

Back