Need Phone number of ADA In Worcester, Ma

Jeff,
the DOJ ADA office will file lawsuits only if it is important. Most counties and cities have the Disabilities Services Board. they do educate, but most offices you mentioned do not have the enforcement powers nor there are incentives for compiling with the ADA law, except like the Disabled Access Credit IRS tax form 8826.
How about setting up the Deaf Liberation Army? Using terrorism tactis and committing terrorists act can wake up businesses!!!!!!!!! Businesses want you money. If Home Depot doesn't want your money, tell them you're going to Lowe's.
NAD? Many of my deaf friends are not members of NAD. Some of us are members of state NAD associations or local chapters like MCAD.

According to U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), since 1992, deaf people filed something like 1,745 3.7% HEARING IMPAIRMENT
there are more stats at ADA CHARGE DATA by IMPAIRMENTS/BASES - MERIT FACTOR RESOLUTIONS
the top three are:
5,224 11.2% ORTHOPEDIC AND STRUCTURAL IMPAIRMENTS of the BACK
3,835 8.2% NON-PARALYTIC ORTHOPEDIC IMPAIRMENT
2,627 5.6% DEPRESSION
come on, short-term back injury?? Put a heat pack on your back.

80% of the language in the ADA is related to wheelchair accessibility. Plus there is no affirmative action requirement in the ADA and thus all business and colleges/universities and local and state governments cannot ask you "Are you Disabled?" on all their employment forms and admissions forms.

DURAY

Listen Duray,

Yes ADA is a law. Many states also ADA offices, such as in Florida they have the ADA Working Group (ADAWG), which is appointed by the governor. You can call and ask about the law or file a complaint. The complaint process takes a long time. The Federal ADA office can't call the businesses to educate. The State ADA office can call to inform these businesses they are violating the law. Your local Deaf services offices can provide you info or they can call these businesses and educate them also on the law. You can also call either of these offices to find out if a business is violating the law. It is much easier to get an answer from the state ADA office/Deaf Services office, than it is contacting the Federal office.

You said they just need to call and give the business a list of interpreters/interpreter agency? Most times these hearing businesses will never call! If it was that easy, than the Deaf Community would not have as much of a problem. They will come up with an excuse why they dont have to call. Contacting your local state ADA office or Deaf services office will put pressure on the business. Businesses are more likely to obey a state ADA office appointed by the Governor than you just giving them a list of terps.

You can also contact NAD or your state's Association of the Deaf. They can possibly assist.

I have seen this situation hapeen many times. This was my field of work for several years. I know what I am talking about.

Jeff,
the DOJ ADA office will file lawsuits only if it is important. Most counties and cities have the Disabilities Services Board. they do educate, but most offices you mentioned do not have the enforcement powers nor there are incentives for compiling with the ADA law, except like the Disabled Access Credit IRS tax form 8826.
How about setting up the Deaf Liberation Army? Using terrorism tactis and committing terrorists act can wake up businesses!!!!!!!!! Businesses want you money. If Home Depot doesn't want your money, tell them you're going to Lowe's.
NAD? Many of my deaf friends are not members of NAD. Some of us are members of state NAD associations or local chapters like MCAD.

According to U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), since 1992, deaf people filed something like 1,745 3.7% HEARING IMPAIRMENT
there are more stats at ADA CHARGE DATA by IMPAIRMENTS/BASES - MERIT FACTOR RESOLUTIONS
the top three are:
5,224 11.2% ORTHOPEDIC AND STRUCTURAL IMPAIRMENTS of the BACK
3,835 8.2% NON-PARALYTIC ORTHOPEDIC IMPAIRMENT
2,627 5.6% DEPRESSION
come on, short-term back injury?? Put a heat pack on your back.

80% of the language in the ADA is related to wheelchair accessibility. Plus there is no affirmative action requirement in the ADA and thus all business and colleges/universities and local and state governments cannot ask you "Are you Disabled?" on all their employment forms and admissions forms.
DURAY

Percentage on the language of the ADA is incorrect. Not being able to ask if a person is disabled is to prevent discrimination in hiring practices. And while it is illegal to ask such a question, there is nothing that prevents you from self disclosing that information if you feel it is beneficial to do so.

Duray

Duray,

I know that DOJ ADA offices only file if it is important, that’s why I said it is your LAST resort. Because the ADA Law can be interpreted in different ways, the STATE not Federal ADA/Deaf Commission offices can contact these businesses and educate them on the correct interpretation of the law. These State offices are appointed by the Governor and can do more than the DOJ ADA, which can only inform if contacted. The state offices can do more than just Tax Credit info. There might be different protocols for each State ADA/Deaf Commission office. That is why it doesn’t hurt to call your State office and find out how much they are willing to get involved. The State offices I worked with were VERY willing to get involved. My Deaf Services office would contact them first. If that didn’t work, I would contact my State’s ADA office. They would contact the businesses and inform them on the ADA laws. When a State office contacted these businesses, they changed their minds and provided an interpreter. Having a State office appointed by the Governor, certainly scared these businesses. We were ALWAYS successful when doing this! Instead of doubting what I say, just call your State office yourself and find out what your state will do. Like I said before, some states may be different.

You mentioned about telling businesses you will go somewhere else. I agree with that practice of advocating for themselves first. I agree informing the business about the law and informing them you will not stand for discrimination. It is good to know what situations require an interpreter and which do not. Even though some situations require an interpreter, and you inform them you will go elsewhere…… Most businesses will say “Go Ahead.” Like I said, I have done this work for years. Most businesses would rather have a Deaf person go somewhere else than pay the interpreter fees. To them, there are plenty of hearing people ready to use their services without having to pay for an interpreter. This is why it is crucial the Deaf person advocate and educate first. If that does not work, then you contact your local Deaf Services/State ADA office/Deaf Commission.

You also mentioned about NAD/State NAD/Local Chapters. Your friends should become members of NAD. NAD protects Deaf/Hard of Hearings rights, and it is a small fee for the year. If not, then they should talk with your State/Local Chapter of NAD. These local organizations probably have good advice for the people having difficulties with the businesses.

So what is the correct percent?? Speak up (or sign up).
You repeat what I wrote. An interviewer cannot ask "Are are you disabled?" or how can you use the phone.

Percentage on the language of the ADA is incorrect. Not being able to ask if a person is disabled is to prevent discrimination in hiring practices. And while it is illegal to ask such a question, there is nothing that prevents you from self disclosing that information if you feel it is beneficial to do so.

Back