Need Information

terri

Reaction score
I am a 9-1-1 Trianing Supervisor and I would like information about how you may have interacted with your local 9-1-1 center for testing or emergency situations. I am in the process of creating in-service materials for my dispatchers and would like your imput. If you can help, thanks in advance.

Terri,

Welcome you stay AD and let's breath away... Enjoy!

Ahh you're 911 training supervisor. Great for you learn communcation w/Deaf people on via TTY emergency line.

Let you know In my hometown St Thomas, Ontairo.Canada 911 is very poor and not being answered promptly TTY emergency line... Took me 30 minutes finally Police came here.. what hell? Frigg'n seriouis emergency.. Unbeilable.. Police thinks we are non-emergency.. how inslut us ? I file complaint againist 911 dispatch did not type TTY emergency line.. which it's seriouis emergency..

Police are total STUPID! Honestly w/you.. Poor community service for Deaf People..
Right now.. CHS is taking care of 911 and Police too.
In my mind.. "Total wasting time!"
That why I never likes 911 staff and includes Police officer too.. some of Officer are rude remarks towards to me.. which refused get an interpreter! That discrimation!
I'm glad CHS is taking care of this issues againist Police officer who refused get an interpreter!
Police Officer reliable my children interpret.. *I STOOD UP AND REFUSED ALLOW MY CHILDREN INTERPRET*

terri said:
I am a 9-1-1 Trianing Supervisor and I would like information about how you may have interacted with your local 9-1-1 center for testing or emergency situations. I am in the process of creating in-service materials for my dispatchers and would like your imput. If you can help, thanks in advance.

In my city, I would tap on the spacebar on the TTY machine until the words pop on the tiny line screen. The 911 center inside the PD has a special software which pops up on the screen when a deaf person uses the 911. Once it pops up, she or he'll type in to see what is wrong and summons an emergency personnels. I PMed ya with a short information. I used it and it saved my life. Turned out, I lost my gallbladder cuz of the largest stone. Oh, well. :)

I understand

I understand you frustation. I really hate that the respect you deserve is not given to you in your hometown. Sometimes ALL things are not taken into consideration when it comes to serving the PUBLIC. The deaf community requires specific attention to detail and responses. I do teach a class on Communication Impaired Callers and in our center we do have equipement and software that supports interactive communication with our residents. Dispatchers in the public safety family sometimes go unnoticed, maybe like the deaf community. It's not right, so Im trying to make our dispatchers more aware of the needs of your culture.

Thanks for your reply. Im glad to hear that you were able to summon assistance. Do you ever test your eqipment with your local 9-1-1 center?

terri said:
Thanks for your reply. Im glad to hear that you were able to summon assistance. Do you ever test your eqipment with your local 9-1-1 center?

Yes. It worked immediately. I have to let the dispatcher knows it's only a "testing" and Sgt notified the dispatcher that I'm testing it. A few time it passed but something went bonker and I let him know and he has to order technician to fix something on the computer servers. It's a pretty good and reliable. But hardly, not many deaf ppl use it since it's soo quiet around here in this city. We have around 20 deaf ppl living here in this city. :)

Back