Need info about international student exchange

Feather_130

Reaction score
Hi All!

I was wondering anyone knows of a person who's gone on an international exchange? I work with an organization that is trying to place two HOH students from India with a family in either the US or Canada. We're trying to go through Rotary but it is very difficult to find a family that will take both of the siblings. It's for one academic year of high school. If anyone has some info I'd really appreciate hearing your story, or if you have any ideas of where to look. We also need scholarships/grants to meet the need of these two youth.

Hello Feather_130.

I must be blunt and tell you that nowadays it is very hard to sponsor a deaf student on exchange program because no one is willing to put in more work as they've found it extremely hard to find families who'd be willing to host.

And it's extremely unheard to host siblings. Rather, the one sibling who's the right age and is a good candidate will go. Then their sibling can apply the next year and try. They'd have to have good characters, fair school report and stuff. Of course, they must have no criminal records.

I was sponsored by Australian Rotary Club to Canada for a year. It was a really wonderful experience.

Rotary'd prefer potential students to have some financial stability so the family can provide for them without the Rotary or the host family having to incur all the financial matter for the student. You see the parents have to have monies to foot the insurance, flight, pocket monies and extra monies for emergencies. I admit the Rotary do give pocket money monthly but it's never enough to cover a student's need for the month.

You could try the Lion club. Apart from that, I have no idea. Sorry.

Never heard of deaf or HOH Indian students sponsored by the Rotary. I met a couple of hearing Indian student through the Rotary but they were from middle class families who could afford what the sponsorship entailed.

Check the Shriners, American Legions, or Sertomas in your area. Sertoma does have projects with oral deaf kids.

Richard

We belong to India and my son is HOH studying in 9th standard but not living in US/CANADA.I am goverment servant and will be pleased to provide any information regarding Indian Deaf/HOH society/culture.

Back