need help writing a paper

I want to thank everyone for the responses given thus far. I have learned a lot. I want to say something to everyone who looks at my post. I did join this site because I am writing a paper and wanted to get some other peoples perspectives. I understand that some are not pleased about that. I am interested in ASL and deaf culture and that is why I choose the route I did for my paper. My paper is what brought me to this site but I want to stay even after it is completed because I have really enjoyed what I have learned so far and I want to continue to do so. I am going to school to be a speech therapist and because of that I am making it a priority to learn ASL. I think the more I immerse myself in sites such as this one the better I will be in my chosen field. :D

I want to thank everyone for the responses given thus far. I have learned a lot. I want to say something to everyone who looks at my post. I did join this site because I am writing a paper and wanted to get some other peoples perspectives. I understand that some are not pleased about that. I am interested in ASL and deaf culture and that is why I choose the route I did for my paper. My paper is what brought me to this site but I want to stay even after it is completed because I have really enjoyed what I have learned so far and I want to continue to do so. I am going to school to be a speech therapist and because of that I am making it a priority to learn ASL. I think the more I immerse myself in sites such as this one the better I will be in my chosen field. :D

We need more speech therapists who are sensitive to Deaf culture and ASL. Too many of them aren't. They focus too much the pathological view of deafness.

Hope you can stick around and participate in the different threads about different topics. :wave:

Why do students always come to AD for help with their ASL or Deaf-related homework? This is frankly very annoying and I get the hint that they are too lazy to do their own damn research or their own homework and want to do it the "easy way".

Do your own research and your own studying and your own homework. We are not your tutors nor are we your teachers, and we are not going to help you cheat/teach you/do your homework for you. We are not your mommies and daddies. You are all grown up and in college so you need to do it yourself. We aren't going to coddle you. At least I am not going to coddle you.

Enough said. :roll:

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion, the mods have been saying recently that these people are allowed to come in here and ask these types of questions and that should give you pause if for no other reason than respect for what is apparently Alex's decision.

I certainly do not think Nicole came here to get other people to do her homework - she came here to research - it should be encouraged.

rapunzel i would suggest that you should do some research on Hard of Hearing and Deaf and Deaf Culture. Escecially if this paper is for school. you can not properly write about something that you have no knowlege of and yes, talking with us is good to get some ideas but research on deaf culture and the term deaf/Deaf and Hard of Hearing is something that can be researched online too. I feel that you would be served well in understanding the terms before trying to write about them. Just a suggestion. good luck on the paper.

Like sounds? I don't think the internal voice includes sounds. It is just a pattern of thought as far as I know.

You are absolutely correct, Bott.

The poster might want to check out some developmental psychology texts or journals if she is interested in learning more about the concept.

I am one of the very, very few who has a total 100% loss with zero residual hearing. My last audiogram shows markers at the bottom at 120dB with arrows pointing down. The notes all say total deaf, no sounds able to process.

Let's take off a "very" there... I've got absolutely no residual hearing, either, not even when I can feel the headset vibrate... Not sure how loud they go, but I've never heard a real sound in waking memory, except for electrical stimulation, which doesn't count :)

Hello all. My name is Nicole Masten and I am a hearing person. I am currently enrolled in a child development class. I will be writing a paper and I wanted to include the inner narrator hearing children have and adults for that matter. In my text it talks about how we start out talking to ourselves and then learn to have that inner narrator while thinking. I thought it would be interesting to get a deaf persons perspective. I have always assumed that a deaf person would not have an inner narrator. Do you see picture in your mind when you are thinking? I was also wondering if deaf children sign to themselves? I hope these questions do not come off as offensive. I must admit that I am fascinated by ASL and deaf culture but know little about it. I would love to get some feed back on my questions and if you feel I should word them differently feel free to say so. Thanks

Depending on which 'mode of thought' I am thinking in, I may or may not have a voice "narrator". Sometimes I have an "vocal narrator", especially when counting, however my thoughts are completely silent when I am doing computer programming - I just code, while "seeing" how the code should flow - really hard to explain, whereas other times, I think in pictures and images and how things should 'connect' - also hard to explain. I did not grow up with sign, however, I've discovered that sign does fit better with how I think about certain topics. (Although, I'm still far from fluent... So I'm still working on making myself expressive in a *clear* manner...)

Also, when thinking in english, I may or may not have the narrator - if I'm lipreading, I do, but if I'm just writing, I don't necessarily do, although I have noticed that when I don't use the narrator, my english sentences get very long... I prefer not using the narrator, though - it's distracting.

Hmm, I don't think any of that made sense, but that's the best I can explain it. I used to just say "I think by picturing an abstract machine".

Let's take off a "very" there... I've got absolutely no residual hearing, either, not even when I can feel the headset vibrate... Not sure how loud they go, but I've never heard a real sound in waking memory, except for electrical stimulation, which doesn't count :)

I was told by my audiologist that approximately 1% of all hoh and deaf people are 100% total deaf.

:/

I disagree.

So... Correct me if I'm wrong, but those who are "Hard of hearing" merely find hearing a bit difficult?

This reminds me of the "Christian" I met many years ago, who was convinced that he was christian and all that - yet explicitly denied that Jesus was real! Doesn't mean that he was correct.

So... Correct me if I'm wrong, but those who are "Hard of hearing" merely find hearing a bit difficult?

This reminds me of the "Christian" I met many years ago, who was convinced that he was christian and all that - yet explicitly denied that Jesus was real! Doesn't mean that he was correct.

There are cultural identities. Some stone deaf people refer to their selves as hearing. (Bilateral CI's and not being able to sign, nervous around deaf people)

But for the literal sense of it - for the "technically" sound answer, yes, hard of hearing people are people who have harder time to hear.

There are cultural identities. Some stone deaf people refer to their selves as hearing. (Bilateral CI's and not being able to sign, nervous around deaf people)

But for the literal sense of it - for the "technically" sound answer, yes, hard of hearing people are people who have harder time to hear.

Well, then, surely they could choose from a myriad of other "labels" that don't necessarily refer to belonging to the Deaf community. Eg, "hearing impaired" (Just substantially so), or heck, even just "deaf" (Without making a fuss about the whole d/D issue, and certainly without referring to the community.)

I mean, it's like the full-blind saying "I'm short-sighted", but I suppose, you're right, they're identifying themselves as fundamentally a hearing person, while "toning down" the fact that he can't actually hear at all - that I think I understand.

Well, then, surely they could choose from a myriad of other "labels" that don't necessarily refer to belonging to the Deaf community. Eg, "hearing impaired" (Just substantially so), or heck, even just "deaf" (Without making a fuss about the whole d/D issue, and certainly without referring to the community.)

I mean, it's like the full-blind saying "I'm short-sighted", but I suppose, you're right, they're identifying themselves as fundamentally a hearing person, while "toning down" the fact that he can't actually hear at all - that I think I understand.

No, what he said made no sense at all. It was from a medical model that KristinaB was talking.
Then PFH decided to introduce Deaf culture.

Back