need help writing a paper

Like sounds? I don't think the internal voice includes sounds. It is just a pattern of thought as far as I know.

I never really though of it that way. I guess because I had some hearing I always thought of that internal voice having a sound because I heard sounds. When I am counting to myself, there is that little voice that had sound when "sounding off" the numbers.

That's a hard thing to think of.

I had not consider a pattern of thought. Sometimes it is hard to step outside yourself in regrades to the way you personally process things. That is the way I am feeling right not anyway. I honestly just assumed that a deaf person would have to see something in their mind.

Last edited:
I had not consider a pattern of thought. Sometimes it is hard to step outside yourself in regrades to the way you personally process things. That is the way I am feeling right not anyway. I honestly just amused that a deaf person would have to see something in their mind.

Not sure why it's amusing. When a hearing child learns about objects like a ball, a doll, or a bear for example. As they get older they can think of these things in their mind as they are writing a Christmas wish list. It's no different for a deaf person. They learn what the object is and then they picture it before they sign or write what they want. They can picture it in their mind and if they can visualize the word then they can write it or sign it.

I had not consider a pattern of thought. Sometimes it is hard to step outside yourself in regrades to the way you personally process things. That is the way I am feeling right not anyway. I honestly just amused that a deaf person would have to see something in their mind.

What's amusing about it? We are not any different from you and other hearing people.

residual sound
Does that mean you can still hear a little or does it have something more to do with feeling vibrations. I have not heard that term and I am just trying to understand it.

residual sound
Does that mean you can still hear a little or does it have something more to do with feeling vibrations. I have not heard that term and I am just trying to understand it.

It is whatever hearing a person has left. My dB loss is at 110 to 120 dB so whatever sounds are at that level, I can hear without my hearing aids.

I am one of the very, very few who has a total 100% loss with zero residual hearing. My last audiogram shows markers at the bottom at 120dB with arrows pointing down. The notes all say total deaf, no sounds able to process.

Nicole,

Try to think of it this way. Suppose you have a person whom speaks Zulu, SiSwati, German and English. Suppose this person speaks these languages fluently.

Which language would their "inner voice" be speaking in?

Now, in regards to a person whom has never heard "sounds", I believe you are thinking as a "hearing" person by assuming that sounds must exist for there to exist a language - therefore, communication of thought. I am not sure if that makes sense, so I will use another example to illustrate.

Suppose a person was born in the wild. They were raised by wild boars, apes, a pack of wolves or whatever. However, this person was taught no language whatsoever.

Would their thought process cease to exist since they have no language? Would they still have an inner narrator?

Yes, they would. Here is the reason why .... your inner narrator is not speaking any language. You are "relaying" your inner narrator (your thoughts) into the language which you learned. You learned this language so that you could communicate your inner thoughts to other people so that they in turn could understand what your thoughts are.

That is communication.

Now, this person who was born in the wild, would NOT be able to communicate their thoughts to any other human being - lack of language. This does not mean they do not have an inner narrator.

I hope this gives you some food for "thought" ;)

one more thing ... Have you ever experienced a feeling, or a thought, that you could not articulate in words? Something perhaps like a certain feeling you have had, that you were unable to explain?

It was your inner narrator (your thoughts - understanding) that had a lack of vocabulary in the language in which you were taught.

Well, I believe I have an internal voice. A lot of deaf people can speak, too, including me(to a certain extent). And well, I don't know if this makes sense, but I don't think of deafness as just a "mute" and everything is just a closed-off silent. I think of it more like turning the volume so low, you can't hear it.

I think I can hear a pretty decent amount with my ha. Without them, I can still sometimes hear trains rolling by when I'm walking or jackhammers on construction sites, and occasionally someone's voice if they're shouting really loudly. That was a really interesting question, by the way. :)

Why do students always come to AD for help with their ASL or Deaf-related homework? This is frankly very annoying and I get the hint that they are too lazy to do their own damn research or their own homework and want to do it the "easy way".

Do your own research and your own studying and your own homework. We are not your tutors nor are we your teachers, and we are not going to help you cheat/teach you/do your homework for you. We are not your mommies and daddies. You are all grown up and in college so you need to do it yourself. We aren't going to coddle you. At least I am not going to coddle you.

Enough said. :roll:

Why do students always come to AD for help with their ASL or Deaf-related homework? This is frankly very annoying and I get the hint that they are too lazy to do their own damn research or their own homework and want to do it the "easy way".

Do your own research and your own studying and your own homework. We are not your tutors nor are we your teachers, and we are not going to help you cheat/teach you/do your homework for you. We are not your mommies and daddies. You are all grown up and in college so you need to do it yourself. We aren't going to coddle you. At least I am not going to coddle you.

Enough said. :roll:

I certainly do not expect anyone to do my homework for me. I joined this site because I want to learn. I do not know many deaf people and I want to get some perspective. I do not expect anyone to respond to my questions that do not want to. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and you have certainly spelled out yours. I just want to give my take on what you have said.

Back