need help writing a paper

rapunzelcrazy

Reaction score
Hello all. My name is Nicole Masten and I am a hearing person. I am currently enrolled in a child development class. I will be writing a paper and I wanted to include the inner narrator hearing children have and adults for that matter. In my text it talks about how we start out talking to ourselves and then learn to have that inner narrator while thinking. I thought it would be interesting to get a deaf persons perspective. I have always assumed that a deaf person would not have an inner narrator. Do you see picture in your mind when you are thinking? I was also wondering if deaf children sign to themselves? I hope these questions do not come off as offensive. I must admit that I am fascinated by ASL and deaf culture but know little about it. I would love to get some feed back on my questions and if you feel I should word them differently feel free to say so. Thanks

Last edited:
botti should be replying soon to this...but since she isn't yet...

We do NOT answer posts like this unless you intend to stay on the site/ and or you introduce yourself and what purpose you have here etc. we are not here to do your hw for u...we can help and give our opinion for you etc but you MUST introduce yourself first in the Introduce Yourself section of the forum

Oh, well . I am here, but I think they changed that rule. So now students can come in and just ask.

So if anybody wants to answer it's now ok.

But I will just say hi, and welcome to AD. :)

Hello all. My name is Nicole Masten and I am a hearing person. I am currently enrolled in a child development class. I will be writing a paper and I wanted to include the internal voice hearing children have and adults for that matter. In my text it talks about how we start out talking to ourselves and then learn to have that inner voice while thinking. I thought it would be interesting to get a deaf persons perspective. I realize you would not have an internal voice so do you see picture in your mind when you are thinking? I was also wondering if deaf children sign to themselves? I hope these questions do not come off as offensive. I must admit that I am fascinated by ASL and deaf culture but know little about it. I would love to get some feed back on my questions and if you feel I should word them differently feel free to say so. Thanks
I think I would like to respond after reading. What do you mean by the bolded?

Of course we have the equivalent of an internal voice, although it may be visual.

We are beings of higher thought.

I was going to comment on that too..you do know that a lot of deaf people can talk right?

I have a friend who was born deaf and blind. Brilliant fellow.

You might want to rephrase "inner voice" to "inner narrator" or something to that effect. If your paper is focused on development of how the mind processes thought, and communicates (with the absence of a certain sense)then I believe you are touching on a philosophical research paper.

I hope this points you in the right direction:

Philosophy of mind - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and good luck on your paper.

[...]
You might want to rephrase "inner voice" to "inner narrator" or something to that effect. If your paper is focused on development of how the mind processes thought, and communicates (with the absence of a certain sense)then I believe you are touching on a philosophical research paper.
[...]
brilliant :cool2:

Hello all. My name is Nicole Masten and I am a hearing person. I am currently enrolled in a child development class. I will be writing a paper and I wanted to include the internal voice hearing children have and adults for that matter. In my text it talks about how we start out talking to ourselves and then learn to have that inner voice while thinking. I thought it would be interesting to get a deaf persons perspective. I realize you would not have an internal voice so do you see picture in your mind when you are thinking? I was also wondering if deaf children sign to themselves? I hope these questions do not come off as offensive. I must admit that I am fascinated by ASL and deaf culture but know little about it. I would love to get some feed back on my questions and if you feel I should word them differently feel free to say so. Thanks

Let's put it this way.... say you see an unknown object. You don't know what it is. Do you talk yourself in your head everytime you think about it?

Or say you drive, do you think to yourself in your head "Go left, stop at the stoplight, Go right" Or do you just drive and just know where to go.

i was hearing till my early 20s so i can just speak for myself alone in saying that yeah i think to myself in words but, a person as a baby analysis things in mind with out the ability to form words or signs. the thought process does not always have to do with words at all but pure notions and ideas. some may be visual ideas or words in thought. the sub conscious doesnt always work different from anyone elses mearly because there is an absence of one sense or another. hope i didnt confuse or drag on to much. i guess just aimless thoughts.....

Yes I only know one deaf woman but she can speak. She was once hearing but is now deaf. I have seen shows about the deaf learning to speak and how controversial that is to many people. I was just curious and thought this would be interesting for my paper. I think as a hearing person I take for granted that I have a voice in my head while I am thinking. I just want to get some other perspectives.

I guess I just assumed that if you never heard anything that you would not have an internal voice. Is my thinking wrong.

Born deaf and I have an internal voice and so do many of my deaf friends.

That is interesting and not a response I was expecting. I just assumed that if you had never heard anything that you would not have an inner voice. Thank you for sharing.

That is interesting and not a response I was expecting. I just assumed that if you had never heard anything that you would not have an inner voice. Thank you for sharing.

If you looked at it logically, every deaf person posting here would have an inner voice of your definition, as we have all learned to read and write.

I certainly do not expect anyone to do my home work for me. I just had an idea for a paper and was having trouble finding information about the questions I have. I am just interested in learning. That is why I am here =)

I'm not sure how to respond. I was born hoh and was verbal after the age of 3. I think everyone is born with an internal voice, it's just not known if they always understand it is they have never heard sounds. Most people have some residual sounds, even those born deaf, and will have some idea of sound. I have always known of the internal voice and there are times when it drives me nuts now that I have no hearing and no residual hearing at all.

I'm not sure how to respond. I was born hoh and was verbal after the age of 3. I think everyone is born with an internal voice, it's just not known if they always understand it is they have never heard sounds. Most people have some residual sounds, even those born deaf, and will have some idea of sound. I have always known of the internal voice and there are times when it drives me nuts now that I have no hearing and no residual hearing at all.

Like sounds? I don't think the internal voice includes sounds. It is just a pattern of thought as far as I know.

Back