need help with couple of signs

snwgrl

Reaction score
does anyone know how to sign cop. and sign that and this. and does anyone know what sign is it when you put your thumb up to side of your forhead and wiggle your fingers a 4 year old did it to me that i was watchin and i know he was just teasin so i din't ask his dad but if any1 could tell me what it means please.

snwgrl said:
does anyone know how to sign cop. and sign that and this. and does anyone know what sign is it when you put your thumb up to side of your forhead and wiggle your fingers a 4 year old did it to me that i was watchin and i know he was just teasin so i din't ask his dad but if any1 could tell me what it means please.
did you try www.aslpro.com I think that cop and police are the same sign. "C" to the left chest three times. I don't know what that other sign means

snwgrl said:
... does anyone know what sign is it when you put your thumb up to side of your forhead and wiggle your fingers a 4 year old did it to me that i was watchin and i know he was just teasin so i din't ask his dad but if any1 could tell me what it means please.
That description fits a gesture that hearing kids use (normally with two hands) to tease each other, and they usually say, "nah, nah, nah, nah, nah" at the same time, and then stick out their tongues. If a kid was doing that to an adult, that was very rude.

thanks but if u wouldn't mind helping me with the sign fool. i am learning settle for a slow down i sign language i thought it would be fun and interseting so i will ask what a lot of words mean if i can't find it online thanks

and what do u do when there is ing at the end like getting do u just fingerspell ing. sorry i know i must be gettin annoying

snwgrl
and what do u do when there is ing at the end like getting do u just fingerspell ing. sorry i know i must be gettin annoying

snwgrl,

Now you are getting into Signed Exact English, which is most definately not ASL.

i have more signs i know it is prob getting annoying but i need so far the sign for soaked, land, and might i will prob need more

Handling tenses isn't that difficult.
Remember, that we say "conjugations" in english and other languages (I speak spanish and engligh)

"inflections" in ASL and SEE are the equivalent of conjugations.

You don't do "ED" or "ING" in ASL and some consider it SEE and some don't.

E.g sign:
yesterday I go store
means, I went to the store yesterday.

Sign: past 1 week I walk school
means last week I walked to school.
sign HE + RUN could mean he is running or he runs.

sign:
Tomorrow I drive school I
Tomorow, I will be driving to school.

What many people misunderstand is how to "interpret" properly. Not that you don't know how to speak two languages, but you also have to learn to interpret.

"inflections" in ASL and SEE are the equivalent of conjugations.

You don't do "ED" or "ING" in ASL and some consider it SEE and some don't.

It's just too awkard to use in ASL.

I remember two Deaf English teachers who invented the phrase "stuckment". I had to laugh when I heard that phrase. I also thought it very telling that it was Deaf English who came up with that phrase. Whenever they got stuck on somthing, they'd say they were in stuckment. I don't think hearing English teachers would come up with it. :cool:

stuckment

It's just too awkard to use in ASL.

I remember two Deaf English teachers who invented the phrase "stuckment". I had to laugh when I heard that phrase. I also thought it very telling that it was Deaf English who came up with that phrase. Whenever they got stuck on somthing, they'd say they were in stuckment. I don't think hearing English teachers would come up with it. :cool:

Ok...I have to know the sign or this :)

question:

The sign: ABOUT, with the left hand in a modified O form, palm inward, left index finger circles the left finger tips.

This isn't the same as "tell me about" something...right? This is "around" instead?!

Ok...I have to know the sign or this :)

Well, most deaf don't use ed or ing or anthing that ends with "ment". It's just too awkard. Some do use sign for er but not all.

BTW, the sign for ment is make an m hand shape and then move your hand shape across the palm of your other hand in a diagonal direction.

I should mention that ASL does not transalate well onto paper. This is because facial expressions and postures are an important part of ASL and it's hard to transalate that onto paper.

Take for example the ASL sentence SHE DRIVE. On paper it only tells you that she's driving. If the signer signs the sign for drive while making jerky hand montions and putting on a glazed expression, you get an idea of what kind of driver "SHE" is. Likewise if the signer is using the drive sign in a steady motion with eyes fixed on a fictional road, you get a very different idea of what kind of driver "SHE" is.

If you use ed, ing and signs ending in "ment" you're using SEE not ASL . The two deaf teachers were making fun of SEE.

I should make a small disclaimer here: I tend to be very english so you'd do well to seek other deaf for more advanced advice on ASL.

it's always good to have others' opinions.
I DO understand the inflections etc. and I also try to learn, but I look at how the Deaf people do it here. That's the way I'll do it.
There are differences just like in any other languages.

Good Idea. I remember when I first moved to NC I thought why on earth are they talking about driving the GRASS?. :crazy: Turns out that's the local sign for trucks. :doh:

Good Idea. I remember when I first moved to NC I thought why on earth are they talking about driving the GRASS?. :crazy: Turns out that's the local sign for trucks. :doh:

Hahaha!! My beighbors are all mexican.
MY neighbor's wife used to ask why her husband tells her he is going to cut the "patio" and not the "yarda"
I used to tell her that "yarda" though meaning "yard" here is actually 3-feet, a yard and patio us "yard" as in lawn and not actually "patio" as in porch.

So, yeah, different areas have their quirks.

I would like to hear more about you driving your lawn :cool:

anyone know what sign is it when you put your thumb up to side of your forhead and wiggle your fingers a 4 year old did it to me that i was watchin and i know he was just teasin so i din't ask his dad but if any1 could tell me what it means please.

4 yr old cld have sign Daddy... 4 yr zero same sign old child/ppl
Deaf child zero chat na na na thats your English child do that... If this child parnets Deaf they live in Deaf world..

LMM

Yes, that's the sign we use in SC also.

Back