Need Help Translating Two Short Videos From ASL to English

sofieclaws

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Sofie and I am a second year ASL student in University! I have an assignment where I watch videos and answer the questions, but some of the words on two of the videos are baffling me, and I could really use some help! If you think you could help me, could you please give me your email so I can send links to the videos? Thank you so much it would mean a lot to me!

For the first video I got "EXPLAIN (something) HAPPEN. HAPPEN WHAT. HAPPEN WHERE. EXPLAIN YOUR (something) OPINION."

For the second video "ASL CLASS OVER. EXPLAIN YOUR FUTURE PLANS. (something) ASL (something). HIGHER EDUCATION PLANS WHAT. PLAN (something) FRIENDS AND FAMILY YOU WHAT.

Yeah, you're getting the words, you just need to put them together. For the first one, that first something is "recent", so she's saying to explain about something that recently happened, and she's telling you how to do it: first say what happened, then say where, then explain your opinion about it. I don't think you missed anything else in the first video: she just signed explain opinion what you.

ok 2nd video: she's listing three questions, the first is signed use ASL how?

So how are you going to use ASL?

The last something you missed you could interpret as "include" - so she's asking about your plans to include your friends and family (in your use or future study/practice of ASL.)

I think you were pretty much there. Does this make sense?

Oh my goodness thank you! That one word threw me all off! I know how to put the words together in the video, I just translated exactly as it was signed so you would know which ones I was getting.
What about video two?

I looked at the videos.

Second year? Really?

Oh my goodness thank you! That one word threw me all off! I know how to put the words together in the video, I just translated exactly as it was signed so you would know which ones I was getting.
What about video two?

Oh yeah, that makes sense, about translating exactly so I knew what you already got vs were fighting with.

And I totally know what you mean about having one thing that you didn't catch just leave you lost for the whole sentence. I still struggle with that sometimes, but it does get better and better the more ASL you expose yourself to.

This second ASL class was pretty easy, but sometimes one word can throw you completely off! And it's not like I can use google translate for help either :)

What level did you think it was?
First.

Also, if the student is in second level, there should have been no problem understanding the video clips. Especially in context of a class assignment.

IMO

From what I remember, level one was all about basic vocabulary. There was sooo much vocab to learn. It was a little early to put regular sentences together. Level two had more of that.

From what I remember, level one was all about basic vocabulary. There was sooo much vocab to learn. It was a little early to put regular sentences together. Level two had more of that.
I'm sorry that was your experience. That's not how ASL is supposed to be taught. Level one should incorporate vocabulary with grammatical structure and cultural information. From the first lesson on, students should be using simple sentences. From there, they should be developing story-telling skills and question-and-answer dialogues. Each lesson should include expressive and receptive practice, with emphasis on conceptual thinking.

Back