Need Help Teaching ASL?

BoricuaChevere

Reaction score
So I just started an ASL club at my mainstream school (38 sign ups!). I just need help with teaching this class. I am trying to get a terp so I an sign full ASL in there. I'm teaching the whole language, or rather as much as I can to them. Any tips? Thanks!!!

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Are you lisensed to teach ASL?

Here ASL instructors have to take a number of courses which show proficency as well as teach the instructors how to teach the language etc.

I'd be kind of surprised if anyone could just teach ASL without having to go through the certifications (ASLTC etc)

I'm a student at my school. I'm deaf with a terp. I've been involved in deaf culture for a pretty long time :-\ my goal in this club is not only to teach ASL but to introduce the other students to deaf culture

Are there any good places in South Africa to learn ASL or BSL? I want to learn properly so that I can eventually become a teacher. For anyone with advice on where I can learn, my email is gazerstar30@yahoo.com

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Nighteyes said:
Are there any good places in South Africa to learn ASL or BSL? I want to learn properly so that I can eventually become a teacher. For anyone with advice on where I can learn, my email is gazerstar30@yahoo.com

South Africa uses SASL (South African Sign Language) which is different from ASL or BSL.

If you want to learn SASL then look for local places certified to teach it ... Deaf centres, colleges etc are good places to start. Also Google South African Sign Language and you'll get a number of contacts.

Also when you say "teach" do you mean you'd like to teach in a deaf school where the language of instruction is Sign, or you want to teach Sign to others?

In many areas only native (or 'near native') Sign language users are permitted to teach others Sign Language. There are many reasons for this - but part of the reason is that there are a lot of subtle aspects of Sign which are over looked by non-native users ... also teaching Deaf Culture is a large part of what is also taught in these classes - which needs to be taught by someone with a first hand understanding of Sign Language AND what it's like to be Hoh or Deaf.

Also teaching at a deaf school means you need an Education Degree (Bachelors, Masters etc), a SASL degree (and SASL fluency) as well as additional education in disabilities etc. Typically this is about 10years or more of full-time Education.

Last edited:

Do you have Brazil country or sign language? South Africa? Lots of Brazil or not sure Country exactly on many Country mostly BSL it is pretty language!

So I just started an ASL club at my mainstream school (38 sign ups!). I just need help with teaching this class. I am trying to get a terp so I an sign full ASL in there. I'm teaching the whole language, or rather as much as I can to them. Any tips? Thanks!!!
you means on Full on terp interpreter ? know full ASL ? lots know ASL? language ??

Back