Need help on hearing aids.

Byakko

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

In 3 years ago, I did tried out Oticon, Phonak, and Starkey. I picked Sharky and still wearing it.

This hearing aids is incredible that is so small and powerful enough for me to hear. It sound clear and less echo than my older behind ears phonak hearing aids. But... they don't last long, the speakers in hearing aids worn out 6 times in 3 years. Four of them under warranty which is no cost for repairs. After it expired, I have to pay $570 per year for renew warranty for both hearing aids. The batteries last 5 days.

Is there other type of hearing aids that fits in the canal for profound hearing loss?

I was told Phonak Naida is the best way for what I need for both of profound hearing loss and hearing difficulty. But I don't see how behind ears work well against echo. Do any of you tried this brand? Thanks

Gregg.

Last edited:
A lot if members here use the phonak naidas. I have naidas as well and they're not too bad. Dunno what your audio gram looks like or how much speech discrim you have either but I'm sure the naidas would be better than canal aids.

This is mine audio gram, and I will try Phonak Naida soon. I am hoping I won't hear echo as much as starkey.

Left ear
85 @ 125
95 @ 250
95 @ 500
100 @ 1000
95 @ 2000
90 @ 4000
80 @ 8000

Right ear
85 @ 125
90 @ 250
95 @ 500
95 @ 1000
95 @ 2000
110 @ 4000
off chart @ 8000

Last edited:
This is mine audio gram, and I will try Phonak Naida soon. I am hoping I won't hear echo as much as sharky.

Left ear
85 @ 125
95 @ 250
95 @ 500
100 @ 1000
95 @ 2000
90 @ 4000
80 @ 8000

Right ear
85 @ 125
90 @ 250
95 @ 500
95 @ 1000
95 @ 2000
110 @ 4000
off chart @ 8000

I think you should definitely try the naidas. I only have echo probs in big rooms like at the bank and at banquet halls. Phonak also has echo block to reduce the echo noise that some ha's have. I also think you mean starkey not sharky;) lol

Yeah, that is the same problem. Oh, it is Starkey, my bad, i have bad hearing.

Is there other type of hearing aids that fits in the canal for profound hearing loss?

Byakko, my best advice. Try out a BTE. I think you would be amazed at how much you can hear with a BTE....it tends to give you more power! Of course everyone is different.....but definitely try out different types of aids.

Hi, everyone!

In 3 years ago, I did tried out Oticon, Phonak, and Starkey. I picked Sharky and still wearing it.

This hearing aids is incredible that is so small and powerful enough for me to hear. It sound clear and less echo than my older behind ears phonak hearing aids. But... they don't last long, the speakers in hearing aids worn out 6 times in 3 years. Four of them under warranty which is no cost for repairs. After it expired, I have to pay $570 per year for renew warranty for both hearing aids. The batteries last 5 days.

I was told Phonak Naida is the best way for what I need for both of profound hearing loss and hearing difficulty. But I don't see how behind ears work well against echo. Do any of you tried this brand? Thanks

Gregg.

The Widex Super 440 is geared for profound loss. If you have a chance to try the band with your audi, you can get a sense of how you like it. I've had an excellent experience with mine.

Hearing aids information - Widex International. Digital Hearing Aids.

Laura

People with losses more than moderate report poor sound quality from in the canal aids. Feedback suppression just doesn't work well enough. My worst loss is 70 Db at multiple frequencies, and even I have no interest in ITC.

Please go back to BTE's. You will be glad you did.

If you've had to bring the aid back six times, there is a design issue with that aid which that company should be addressing it. My first thought was your aid is undersized for your current hearing loss, but since it was still under warranty and you can still hear so I'm not sure I'm leaning more towards design.

I just got a new Naida and it is a great aid for someone with profound loss.

Also, check to see if your insurance plan will cover buying a new aid.

This is mine audio gram, and I will try Phonak Naida soon. I am hoping I won't hear echo as much as starkey.

Left ear
85 @ 125
95 @ 250
95 @ 500
100 @ 1000
95 @ 2000
90 @ 4000
80 @ 8000

Right ear
85 @ 125
90 @ 250
95 @ 500
95 @ 1000
95 @ 2000
110 @ 4000
off chart @ 8000

The Naidas are good. Your echo problems could easily be sorted with adjustments.

I don't get echo problems at all apart from big halls.

Everyone hears differently but my loss is way worse then yours and I gain loads from my Naidas!

Your right ear would gain benefit from sound recovery. You should notice an improvement in hearing if your Audi can program them correctly.

I personally would go for the naida SPICE PLUS UPs.

well - just like car dealers - they only specialize in certain brands and or models. You may need to pick a different audiologist. Did the BTE aids you tried have a wind protection on the horn? reason I asked is because some BTE have echos from no wind protection with standard horns.
Since you tried new HA's within 3 years, I assumed you are trying on digital Ha's? if that is the case - you might want to try a very expensive BTE that cost nearly 6-12k bucks. IMHO - The cheaper digitals bte's for profound hearing loss appears to have echos in the bte but its really the programming. The cheaper BTES dont have the wider number of band sounds. The cheapers ones only have a few spectrum of sounds so it attempts to make up for the gaps of certain sounds you are used to hearing so it can sound "echoy" to you.
I grew up with analogs btes and switched to digital. I had to step up to a mid range price ha's because of the cheapos makes me feel like something is wrong and certain sounds are gone - but couldnt try on more expensive ones as I had to pay up front to try them on and I certainly dont have that type of money laying around. grrrr .

well - just like car dealers - they only specialize in certain brands and or models. You may need to pick a different audiologist. Did the BTE aids you tried have a wind protection on the horn? reason I asked is because some BTE have echos from no wind protection with standard horns.
Since you tried new HA's within 3 years, I assumed you are trying on digital Ha's? if that is the case - you might want to try a very expensive BTE that cost nearly 6-12k bucks. IMHO - The cheaper digitals bte's for profound hearing loss appears to have echos in the bte but its really the programming. The cheaper BTES dont have the wider number of band sounds. The cheapers ones only have a few spectrum of sounds so it attempts to make up for the gaps of certain sounds you are used to hearing so it can sound "echoy" to you.
I grew up with analogs btes and switched to digital. I had to step up to a mid range price ha's because of the cheapos makes me feel like something is wrong and certain sounds are gone - but couldnt try on more expensive ones as I had to pay up front to try them on and I certainly dont have that type of money laying around. grrrr .

I have the naida s iii up which is basic level and the naida s v up which is mid level. I notice no different what so ever between the basic level and the mid level.

It really depends on each individual and how well the audiologist can actually program them. If they can't work the software very well, then the Naidas will sound awful as there is so much to these Naidas.

I've personally been told (will be open to opinions but) that Phonak/Untiron are the best for severe to profound losses.

I've personally been told (will be open to opinions but) that Phonak/Untiron are the best for severe to profound losses.

No, there are others, but it's important to find someone that doesn't cater to one brand so you have more of a variety to try out. Not everyone responds the same way to hearing aids so how you respond to it will be unique to you, and it may involve some trial and error...which is the frustrating part for many. My rule of thumb is you should like it right away with as few adjustments as possible.

No, there are others, but it's important to find someone that doesn't cater to one brand so you have more of a variety to try out. Not everyone responds the same way to hearing aids so how you respond to it will be unique to you, and it may involve some trial and error...which is the frustrating part for many. My rule of thumb is you should like it right away with as few adjustments as possible.

I do agree its trail and error but from my understanding from what I have been told, there is a higher proportion of severe to profound users wear Phonaks.

I do agree its trail and error but from my understanding from what I have been told, there is a higher proportion of severe to profound users wear Phonaks.

That may have been true in the past but companies are getting more competitive and you probably have more options available today than before. A good audiologist should be able to steer you in the right direction. I personally had never heard of Widex until 2011 and I knew very little about the brand so I had to do a ton of research. It helped to have a very experienced audiologist who was up to date with all the latest technology and personally fitted many of the brands out there. She knew the positives and negatives about all of them and she was very honest about which brand (and model) she felt would suit my specific needs...and she was right. Maybe I just got lucky? I had a lousy experience with my first digitals so I do appreciate the difficulty many experience trying to find "the right one."....

I have a friend who has a profound loss and wears oticons and likes them much better than the naidas. So, It's true in saying it's definite trial and error. I wore another power aid while my naida was being repaired before and I hated it ..think it was a starkey aid but I can't member.

again -- its the dealer mind thing again. I have profound loss and using Siemens right now. I loved the analog octigon's, had the analog phonaks and liked it. I tried digital's phonaks , siemens, and widex's. out of the 3 i picked siemens as it was more "natural" to me as I was more used to analog's. i admit I havent tried nadia's as it was not heard of to me at the time till now. If I had money or insurance would be willing to pay - I'd be getting new models every 3 years and I'd be more knowledgable what really fits or is the issue for certain situations.

I've only ever had Phonaks apart from my very first HAs which were body worn aids and I have temporary Unitrons for about 6 months but from my understanding Unitrom and Phonak are basically the same :)

I've only ever had Phonaks apart from my very first HAs which were body worn aids and I have temporary Unitrons for about 6 months but from my understanding Unitrom and Phonak are basically the same :)

You know, it's wild, but I wonder if Unitrom ever made anlogs? When I was little, I thought I had worn Starkey my whole life, but actually the first analog I was fitted with was I think Unitrom....I know it started with a "u." BTW, lovezebras, if I had to take a shot in the dark, I'd say you're thinking about Starkey. They're an old stand by as the company has been around forever, but when they moved into digitals, the quality was God awful. Of all the digital brands, they've been about the worst. Good customer service but a lousy product unfortunately....

Back