Need Help Getting ASL Courses! Please Read!

CanvasOfThoughts

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Brit and I have a desire to take American sign language courses to work with deaf and hard of hearing infants and toddlers. I plan on taking courses from SigningOnline. Each course is 75.00. There are 4 courses and i need a computer to take the courses from.

A total of 560.00.. I just got the number down to now 505.00. I am trying to earn it by selling my paintings on Etsy. Every painting I sell right now goes towards that 505.00.

I need those who can and want to support me to take a look at my paintings and see if there is anything at all in my Etsy shop that you would like or just to contribute.

It would be great to accomplish this goal and be able to start my education in helping.
The link to my Etsy shop CanvasOfThoughts is:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CanvasOfThoughts?ref=hdr_shop_menu

It would be better if you took classes in person, preferably one where they teach voice off.

I have several other health issues and some days I have hard time even leaving house. Doing this to start out as it is the best way to beginning my career. Just seeing if anyone who is capable can and wants to help. Deffinetly will try in person courses in the future

It's very easy to get on line and say you have a lot of health issues and need money to buy a computer . How do I know if you're going to buy drugs or something else with my $$$??? My brother in law is an artist and give me his work for free so I am all set. I just 2 prints and my BIL framed them too.

I have several other health issues and some days I have hard time even leaving house. Doing this to start out as it is the best way to beginning my career. Just seeing if anyone who is capable can and wants to help. Deffinetly will try in person courses in the future

If you have health issues, and can't leave home you won't be much use as a dhh helper.

I have reported you for making several duplicate threads.

Oh, and as for online courses, useless. I don't want a carer with a smattering of signs to be the daycare for my deaf grandchild.

A Deaf school graduate , will be able to give the proper grounding in ASL

Wow I was really surprised but the few responses..bottlesini you didn't even give me a chance. I am new to sign language and just love it and wanted to go with that career. I thought it was the best thing to start... As far as the duplicate thread I apologize I did not realize since it is in two different sections..

And I was not asking for the money for free I was selling my paintings and if you do not like them you are absolutely have no reason to purchase anything..I posted this to those who do want to help. I thought this was a community that wanted to encourage those who want to learn ASL...

I feel really bad that this is the way this post went.. I was excited for this dream and just was seeing if I could get support. Whether in buying a painting or just an encouraging word.. No reason to be harsh you could of suggested other ASL courses..

And whatdidyousay what a horrible comment to make about drugs..I wasn't asking for free money I was selling my paintings to all who wanted them and to help. My intentions were exactly what I posted and nothing else. I just thought this community would want to help.. Again this post was not to upset anyone and feel bad it went this way.

If you want to made money selling your art work then put it on ebay or whatever web site out there . Or bring some to a coffee shop and see if they'll let you hang some on their wall. People do that here in my city.
I am not about to give anyone money for artwork that I have no idea if it's really there. . That is nice you want ASL but I feel it's strange you're asking people to buy your art work so you can learn it. And like I said I have on idea if that is what you really need the money for. People try to get food stamps to buy drugs so anything is possible .

Whatdidyousay, that is great advice. Thank you. I just started looking into amazon handmade..
I understand your concern but if you go on my site you can read reviews and see my sales. Etsy is a very protected site and honestly I was just trying to get support. I just really appreciate the beauty of ASL and love it very much..I just want to help people and thought a community like this was best. Was really saddened by some of the not so nice comments..

Not sure why you find it strange..people need money they go out and earn it. That is all I am trying to do with my paintings. Thanks for the advice about ebay

Beautiful artwork! Try not to let the comments discourage you from learning ASL. Good luck finding money for the courses.

Wow I was really surprised but the few responses..bottlesini you didn't even give me a chance. I am new to sign language and just love it and wanted to go with that career. I thought it was the best thing to start... As far as the duplicate thread I apologize I did not realize since it is in two different sections..

I feel very strongly that deaf babies deserve the same chance as hearing to develop fluency in language at the appropriate age.

And a novice signer interacting in a daycare is not the way to do it.

It looks to me you came here to get our money by saying you wanted it to learn sign. That's not letting your art speak for irself

I used to sell on EBay. I've been thinking about taking plunge into ETSY world. I wish you the best luck.

I feel very strongly that deaf babies deserve the same chance as hearing to develop fluency in language at the appropriate age.

And a novice signer interacting in a daycare is not the way to do it.

It looks to me you came here to get our money by saying you wanted it to learn sign. That's not letting your art speak for irself
Someone who is just starting to learn ASL isn't a threat to Deaf babies. The school that would hire someone who isn't fluent in ASL would be the threat. Any parent should research a school before enrolling their children. CanvasOfThoughts isn't a real threat.

The problem with her post is that she came in and was asking us to support her financially from the get-go. Didn't bother to get to know this community first, or explain her story more to us. We don't know her, so came off as someone who is just advertising her Etsy store to our community and trying to get us to buy through support of learning ASL. Comes across as rather exploitative.

People here don't like when people exploit deafness for gain, in any way shape or form. It's a fairly strongly held belief, which is why you got the response you did CanvasOfThoughts

To everyone else, it's possible she's innocent and it was just a naive first post.

Someone who is just starting to learn ASL isn't a threat to Deaf babies. The school that would hire someone who isn't fluent in ASL would be the threat. Any parent should research a school before enrolling their children. CanvasOfThoughts isn't a real threat.

The problem with her post is that she came in and was asking us to support her financially from the get-go. Didn't bother to get to know this community first, or explain her story more to us. We don't know her, so came off as someone who is just advertising her Etsy store to our community and trying to get us to buy through support of learning ASL. Comes across as rather exploitative.

People here don't like when people exploit deafness for gain, in any way shape or form. It's a fairly strongly held belief, which is why you got the response you did CanvasOfThoughts

To everyone else, it's possible she's innocent and it was just a naive first post.

I think the OP should stopped and thought how her post would sound to other people , like you said the OP asked us to support her right off the bat and that raise a red flag to me. There are too many people coming here wanting people do their homework or answer questions for them and now someone is asking us to support them so they "can learn ASL" . :roll:
And I hope the OP is not so naïve to think that just b/c someone is wearing
a hearing aid they know ASL .

I think the OP should stopped and thought how her post would sound to other people , like you said the OP asked us to support her right off the bat and that raise a red flag to me. There are too many people coming here wanting people do their homework or answer questions for them and now someone is asking us to support them so they "can learn ASL" . :roll:
And I hope the OP is not so naïve to think that just b/c someone is wearing
a hearing aid they know ASL .
I agree, but it could have been an innocent mistake. Sometimes people feel more comfortable online than they should when entering a new online community. They don't know that this community is somewhat close-knit, they might just think it's a general posting board or something where that type of post would be acceptable as their first post.

Hopefully she'll come back and explain more. If not, we can probably assume the worse.

CanvasOfThoughts, it is great that you appreciate the beauty of ASL. As Nic pointed out, your approach may have come off in a way which you did not intend. The are so many hearing people who come along saying, "Oh I just love how deaf people sign. I want to learn how to do that." However, after two or three ASL classes they lose interest. Why? Because it is hard to learn and it takes more than a simple desire.

If you have a purpose for learning sign language, great! Do you know someone who is fluent in ASL? If not, you will need to find someone who is fluent if you are serious about it. To work as a professional, you will need certification and proof of training and immersion in deaf culture. If you don't have the certification, you won't be hired. If you can't sign at the speed of a natuve signer, you won't be hired. Why? Because you will not be able to keep up with spoken English in both expression and comprehension.

Every Deaf person on this site knows this. And every Deaf person has heard 1,000 hearing people say, "Oh I just love sign language." After a while, it gets tiresome. Many Deaf people have also experienced discrimination and abuse at the hands of the hearing. Up until the mid 1970's, the term "deaf and dumb" was still in use. It is a disgusting stereotype that has caused much pain, and an enduring suspicion of hearing people us not easy to overcome.

So....if you want to learn ASL...get yourself to a legit class and get to work. Use ASL all day...everyday. Fingerspell everything until you can do it as fast as you can spell with your voice. If you just want to play around and know 100 signs, the internet will be fine, so long as you know you will never be capable of a conversation more advanced than you may have with a 4 year old.

The response you received here was made in that context. Show the community that you are serious, and you will get a serious response. Enroll in ASL class with a goal. Meet someone who is Deaf and start learning. I think you will then find a very different type of reception.

I wish you luck...both in your artwork and in ASL.

Back