Need help and advice - desperately!

hugoboss84

Reaction score
I live alone in a big building in downtown Chicago, and I am so dead confused about the kind of telecommunication device that I would need. Because I am so new to this country (I moved from Canada), I don't know what is actually available for me around. I have a profound loss in both ears and hardly benefit from telephones and cellphones.

However, I keep a cellphone for text messaging (as my family feels comfy text messaging with me when I am on the move) but never use the voice part. If I get a TTY/VCO for myself, I dont know how I am going to receive calls. At times when there is a package order for me, or a visitor comes to see me, calls are placed to reach me, but I dont know what kind of device to use. It is impractical to tell the condomium management to reach me over text messaging or call a relay operator!!!

I am just so confused because I am desperately trying to resolve this situation, as each time I sign up for a product delivery, credit card, or whatever, I am asked for a "phone number". Heck I cant hear at all, and have no family/friends around. I keep entering 000-000-0000!!! I know it sounds weird, but there is just no way to let people know I prefer correspondence over email.

Can anyone kindly suggest something for me please ? Thanks, I would really appreciate it!!

I hope you get more help. I'm afraid I can't help you because I don't live in USA I live in UK.

I live alone in a big building in downtown Chicago, and I am so dead confused about the kind of telecommunication device that I would need. Because I am so new to this country (I moved from Canada), I don't know what is actually available for me around. I have a profound loss in both ears and hardly benefit from telephones and cellphones.

However, I keep a cellphone for text messaging (as my family feels comfy text messaging with me when I am on the move) but never use the voice part. If I get a TTY/VCO for myself, I dont know how I am going to receive calls. At times when there is a package order for me, or a visitor comes to see me, calls are placed to reach me, but I dont know what kind of device to use. It is impractical to tell the condomium management to reach me over text messaging or call a relay operator!!!

I am just so confused because I am desperately trying to resolve this situation, as each time I sign up for a product delivery, credit card, or whatever, I am asked for a "phone number". Heck I cant hear at all, and have no family/friends around. I keep entering 000-000-0000!!! I know it sounds weird, but there is just no way to let people know I prefer correspondence over email.

Can anyone kindly suggest something for me please ? Thanks, I would really appreciate it!!

Try to contact with About Access Living

His name is Tom Benziger. TBenziger@accessliving.org

I strongly recommend you to particular ASL class, it will guide you to learn sign language and become familiar with equipment TTY, pager, Video Phone with Relay Service, etc... Nowadays, technology is so amazing !!

Hang in there !

I think the suggestions you've already got here are good.

Taking an ASL class will help you network with local deafies.

I use the outside door button with the interior strobe from Harris Communications. I also use their alarm clock which flashes my bedside lamp and vibrates the mattress.

I have a smoke alarm for the deaf, but the apartment manager installed it at no cost to me. Looking over the Harris or Hear-More or Maxiaids catalogs will give you more ideas for independent living.

I had a VCO telephone in Montana. Several friends and family made use of it. All the caller had to do was dial 7-1-1 and ask for "Chase" or my number, but in the five years I had the phone, NO business or agency I gave the number to EVER called me -- not even one. Some e-mailed, but most wrote letters. Some just waited for me to call them again.

Many times when I dialed direct, those unfamiliar with the system hung up. When I encountered an answering system, I always had to stop and call again with operator assistance.

Here in Oregon, I have broadband on-line access, so I didn't get another VCO land line phone. Like you, I have a cell phone for texting family and friends and emergencies.

When filling out a form requiring a phone number, I've found it freaks most business out if you don't have one. For instance, Dell refused me an account without a telephone number, so I enter my text phone number. I do that all the time now. If anyone has tried a voice call, I don't know about it, ha ha ha. Anyway, the applications go through now.

Good luck in your excellent adventure.

Videophone

You can get a videophone for free through sorenson. All you need is high speed internet (cable modem) and then you can sign up for your own personal 800 number through CSDVRS and you can use that phone number for applications, credit card applications, give to hearing friends, etc and when the hearing person calls that number, they will be directly connected to an interpreter (relay operator) and the interpreter will call your home phone number. Right now there's a new feature called VP Alert - you can receive an email to your pager address alerting you that you will be receiving a phone call (within a minute or two) before your videophone actually rings. That's pretty helpful if you don't have a flasher for your videophone. Having your own personal phone number (usually starts with 877-xxx-xxxx) is really good because if someone calls and I'm not there to answer it, they can leave a "video" message and you will get an email with that video and can see what the message was for.

links to check out Sorenson VRS and CSDVRS

Good luck!

[QUOTE links to check out Sorenson VRS and CSDVRS [/QUOTE]

BellaSorrisa, thanks so much for the info. I've really been out of the loop.

Back