Need Date Ideas for Hearing/Deaf Couple! :)

softabak

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I need ideas for dates for my boyfriend and I! I am deaf and he is hearing! We get along really well... but I really want to go do some more fun things with him! Does anyone have any ideas? To give a quick summary about us, I like to paint and draw, play video games (that's all we do together.. I want to do something else!). He plays a lot of sports and that's pretty much what his life revolves around! Haha.

There aren't any theatres around where I live that have captioned movies.. it's a pain!

If anyone has some creative ideas, let me know!

Also no picnics... I live in Canada and it's cold and snowy here right now!

Thank you!! :)

Maybe try to invest in a turbocharged snowblower or 2. It seems like that would be a fun activity out in Canada.

Ice skating rink followed by a coffee shop.

Don't all canadians watch hockey? Also would depend on which city you are near. Montreal? Try wineries? They do ice wine about now I think. Travel? Get down to toronto to see the different festivals and museums?
Check your area events listing, there are often things youb can try even if you are not big on them.
You snowboard?
How old are. The 2 of you?

Why not ask let him know you would like to hang out with him :lol:

Take him to a music concert :shock:

Don't all canadians watch hockey? Also would depend on which city you are near. Montreal? Try wineries? They do ice wine about now I think. Travel? Get down to toronto to see the different festivals and museums?
Check your area events listing, there are often things youb can try even if you are not big on them.
You snowboard?
How old are. The 2 of you?

Haha many Canadians watch hockey, but I don't know about all. The NHL was just on strike and now they are back. Hockey starts again in two weeks. I have been looking up a few different things. We have a winter festival next month that we could probably go to. :)

I am almost 23 and he is 25. I wish there were arcades or something. That would be fun!

Neither of us ski or snowboard. He is working on contract and doesn't get any vacation time, which sucks.

Anything is a date as long as you both like hanging out with each other, it is certainly not a date if you don't.

Having said that, check out this place for table tennis:

The Great Canadian Cabin

It seems to have a bar and the tables look good.

Also, you are not limited to anything other than perhaps something that involves music. Even in those cases, it can sometimes be fun to just go. I go to movies even if I can't hear everything. You'd be surprise what you can pick up and you can always watch it again on DVD. The biggest problem I have with it isn't the movie. It's that my friends make a fuss about it.

You fit into his world and he fits into yours, there has to be some overlap, but not total overlap.

Hmm well seeing I'm in the same city as you and deaf and my bf is hearing I'll try to give you ideas as to where me and my bf go on dates.

We go to the movies...I wear my hearing aids and try to follow...we don't do it often since there isn't captions.

We went mini golfing an putting edge on merivale 2 weeks ago. That was fun...a bit hard to read lips but as long as we were beside each other while talking it was ok. It was a good time despite it being a lil bit dark for the reading lips part.

Menchies!!!! You HAVE to go there. It's on merivale beside gracies sort of. It's a frozen yogurt place...SOOOO GOOD!!

My bf and I were going to go bowling but then decided we were gonna save bowling and then we went mini putting instead.

I wouldn't recommend Cabin....it's a bar so it gets pretty noisy and it's popular so it's barely ever sort of busy.

Tip if you go on the canal (whenever its open) ...It's really hard to hear in there so make sure you can read lips as much as possible. I had a reallyyyy hard time when I went on a date eons ago there and this was when my hearing wasn't as bad. I think because you're lower and then the walls of the canal are higher so the acoustics are wonky plus if it's a bit windy. Try to go on a night where there is no wind....lol or a lot less wind than we usually get haha.

Maybe go on an out door rink if the canal isn't possible. Definitely go to winterlude tho! I always miss it and regret it.

I know it sounds a lillll bit lame but when was the last time you went to the museum?! Me and my bf went to the one in TO (the ROM) a month and a bit ago and it was nice just to do something diff...Science and tech is ah-mazing in my opinion :P

Funhaven Family Fun Centre | Ottawa Birthday Parties | Ottawa Laser Tag | Ottawa, Ontario Canada
This is where Ikea is at pinecrest! They have LOTS of activities there and then you can go to chapters for a coffee and get a few books maybe ASL for you and your bf;) or go to a restaurant around there since there are a few!

Those are just some ideas...lol and how the heck did I not know there was another deafie my age in ottawa...wtf..why haven't we met?!

Hmm well seeing I'm in the same city as you and deaf and my bf is hearing I'll try to give you ideas as to where me and my bf go on dates.

We go to the movies...I wear my hearing aids and try to follow...we don't do it often since there isn't captions.

We went mini golfing an putting edge on merivale 2 weeks ago. That was fun...a bit hard to read lips but as long as we were beside each other while talking it was ok. It was a good time despite it being a lil bit dark for the reading lips part.

Menchies!!!! You HAVE to go there. It's on merivale beside gracies sort of. It's a frozen yogurt place...SOOOO GOOD!!

My bf and I were going to go bowling but then decided we were gonna save bowling and then we went mini putting instead.

I wouldn't recommend Cabin....it's a bar so it gets pretty noisy and it's popular so it's barely ever sort of busy.

Tip if you go on the canal (whenever its open) ...It's really hard to hear in there so make sure you can read lips as much as possible. I had a reallyyyy hard time when I went on a date eons ago there and this was when my hearing wasn't as bad. I think because you're lower and then the walls of the canal are higher so the acoustics are wonky plus if it's a bit windy. Try to go on a night where there is no wind....lol or a lot less wind than we usually get haha.

Maybe go on an out door rink if the canal isn't possible. Definitely go to winterlude tho! I always miss it and regret it.

I know it sounds a lillll bit lame but when was the last time you went to the museum?! Me and my bf went to the one in TO (the ROM) a month and a bit ago and it was nice just to do something diff...Science and tech is ah-mazing in my opinion :P

Funhaven Family Fun Centre | Ottawa Birthday Parties | Ottawa Laser Tag | Ottawa, Ontario Canada
This is where Ikea is at pinecrest! They have LOTS of activities there and then you can go to chapters for a coffee and get a few books maybe ASL for you and your bf;) or go to a restaurant around there since there are a few!

Those are just some ideas...lol and how the heck did I not know there was another deafie my age in ottawa...wtf..why haven't we met?!

What?! For serious someone else in Ottawa? :D This is very exciting!!

I love all of your ideas.. I will have to drag him to some museums! Haha! It sounds so fun! We usually wait for movies to come out so we can watch them with captions. Neither of us sign. I am learning right now. I lost my hearing within the last year. Before that I was hard of hearing though so I could always read lips.

We went to Putting Edge too! It was definitely hard to lip read in there but we had a lot of fun!

I will have to check out Funhaven! Is it expensive do you think? Maybe I can get him to take me for my birthday. It's coming up soon and it's on a Friday! I am definitely going to look into this! :D

Thank you!!

What?! For serious someone else in Ottawa? :D This is very exciting!!

I love all of your ideas.. I will have to drag him to some museums! Haha! It sounds so fun! We usually wait for movies to come out so we can watch them with captions. Neither of us sign. I am learning right now. I lost my hearing within the last year. Before that I was hard of hearing though so I could always read lips.

We went to Putting Edge too! It was definitely hard to lip read in there but we had a lot of fun!

I will have to check out Funhaven! Is it expensive do you think? Maybe I can get him to take me for my birthday. It's coming up soon and it's on a Friday! I am definitely going to look into this! :D

Thank you!!

I'm learning ASL as well :) and ya I live in Nepean! :) hmm I dunno how much it is for funhaven but I doubt it's that expensive! And definitely try menchies ...it's just beyond delicious! And luigi panini for lunch is good too it's beside the fish market on merivale!

I'm learning ASL as well :) and ya I live in Nepean! :) hmm I dunno how much it is for funhaven but I doubt it's that expensive! And definitely try menchies ...it's just beyond delicious! And luigi panini for lunch is good too it's beside the fish market on merivale!

That's so great! :D Thanks for the tips! We should meet up sometime!

Maybe board games and a nice dinner at home!

Yes we do this too! We played life and monopoly over the xmas break. It can get annoying being cooped up inside, especially in ottawa, so I can see why she wants other ideas to go places with her bf.

I'd start with a outdoor activity. like learn how to snowshoe. just walking together and falling down and laughing about it is a good start. Once you get cold - head inside for hot cocoa and marshmallows. maybe nice favorite hot soup? who needs to be a kid to enjoy those things? Just as you are settling in pop in a new released movie and settle in for a cozy movie.

too romantic for you? just going out to eat is a good thing. try going to a restaurant you both normally dont eat in. mexican? sushi? ichiban? fancy? greek? sports bar?

hate eating? how about umm - you know .. try installing a sex dice app on your phone. the rest is up to you.:giggle:

or what is your boyfriend favorite hobby? have you done things with him on that or is he the type to prefer to do it by himself?

its a start -- but should start your creative juices flowing and only you know what fits your both the best.

I'd start with a outdoor activity. like learn how to snowshoe. just walking together and falling down and laughing about it is a good start. Once you get cold - head inside for hot cocoa and marshmallows. maybe nice favorite hot soup? who needs to be a kid to enjoy those things? Just as you are settling in pop in a new released movie and settle in for a cozy movie.

too romantic for you? just going out to eat is a good thing. try going to a restaurant you both normally dont eat in. mexican? sushi? ichiban? fancy? greek? sports bar?

hate eating? how about umm - you know .. try installing a sex dice app on your phone. the rest is up to you.:giggle:

or what is your boyfriend favorite hobby? have you done things with him on that or is he the type to prefer to do it by himself?

its a start -- but should start your creative juices flowing and only you know what fits your both the best.

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas!! This weekend we are going to go for a walk to this store that sells a lot of boardgames, then we are going out to eat and then we are going to walk back to play some video games. Hopefully it isn't too cold! :)

I giggled at the phone app idea!

I like the romantic stuff the best! I will ask him if he wants to try snow shoeing! Thank you!!

Back