Need Advice on Brands ~ Please!

juliae

Reaction score
Hi!! I'm going on Monday (a week from today) to figure out what kind of hearing aids I'm going to buy. They're going to do a more thorough hearing test than the one I had before, and I have to bring my boyfriend because they're going to test me partly using his voice, which should be interesting, because he is very hard for me to hear, especially on the phone (grin). They're also going to do some tests to see how well I will hear with various types of instruments.

The place where I'm getting them deals mainly with "Nu-Ear" digitals (which I'd never heard of). But they also sell Siemens, Starkey, and a couple of others I can't remember! I know which style I'm getting, a BTE because it is stronger and from what I've heard more durable and I am known for breaking my eyeglasses, and with a hearing aid costing MUCH more, I don't want to risk breaking it. Plus, if they offer them, I want to get the BTEs in a pretty color! I wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about which brands are the best, and which aren't? I may know the names of the brands but I don't know which are better and which are bad. I'm a little worried about cost because the money will be coming out of my savings which I try to never touch ~ so I want to be sure about what I get.

Because of my type of loss they recommended either a digital or programmable one.

Any advice? Thanks!!

Thanks very much!
Julia

Hey Julia!!!!!
I googled Nu-Ear....apparently they are an offshoot of Starkey.
That's good.....for a sec I thought they might be one of those stupid ass mail order aids.
Are you seeing a real audi or a hearing aid dispenser? The best place to get hearing aids are from real audis and schools for the deaf (who very often are most familiar with pedatric hearing loss)
A brand I LOVE is Phonak.....I wear Pico-Fortes and they are AMAZING compared to my old Siemens (which are for old people ugh!)

deafdyke said:
Hey Julia!!!!!
I googled Nu-Ear....apparently they are an offshoot of Starkey.
That's good.....for a sec I thought they might be one of those stupid ass mail order aids.
Are you seeing a real audi or a hearing aid dispenser? The best place to get hearing aids are from real audis and schools for the deaf (who very often are most familiar with pedatric hearing loss)
A brand I LOVE is Phonak.....I wear Pico-Fortes and they are AMAZING compared to my old Siemens (which are for old people ugh!)

Thanks!! I saw a real audiologist for my first hearing test and this one is a dispenser. So I'll have had a test done by both by the time I get the hearing aids! It takes forever to get an appointment with the audi I saw the first time, and the only other one around here never called me back. That's how I ended up going to this place!

Can I admit something...? I actually bought one of those stupid mail order aids on eBay!! LOL It was the worst money I've ever spent in my life. It was after my first hearing test and I figured it'd be cheaper than buying real hearing aids. Um YEAH! Cheap for a reason ~ they were worthless! Those things screeched and one of them broke within 2 days of taking them out of the box. It's people like me who keep those idiots in business <grin>.

I wonder if this place has Phonak's? I love all the different hearing aid names. They sound so interesting (grin). What is wrong with the Siemens? I know this place carries that brand along with a bunch of others! That way I'll know to stay away from them!

Thanks so much!!
Julia

I have a Phonak MAXX211 BTE ... and love it ( but it's my first HA soo... ) I'm looking at getting FM for it right now

Other well known and common brands are

Widex ( who make the senso diva - which I know many people really like)
& Oticon

Back