Need a little help!

lisa lisa

Reaction score
I just started dating the most wonderful deaf guy. I want to learn to sign so I can communicate better with him. What is the best way to learn ASL??? I also would like to know if there is anything that is offensive or taboo that I should avoid. I am currently studying an ASL dictonary and am confussed about the multiple signs for words, any advise??? Thank You in advance for any help you can give me! :dunno:

I’m far from being a relationship psychologist... what I say, is merely my opinion and my own version of logic ;)

First, I figure your guy would be more than happy to start teaching you at least some basic ASL, so that you two can talk when alone (if there’s nobody else to interepret, and faster than writing notes all the time!)
Secondly, try several books. Some may be easier to study than others. There’s also video tapes. Might be a bit of a hassle, but try libraries in a 50 mile radius, rather than just your own city one.
Also, find out if there’s community centers or schools that are teaching it. I didn’t know mine offered, until the interpretor at church told me (and only because I said I was interested, otherwise she wouldn’t have known!). That one might be a bit difficult, because of conflicting with your schedule, or classes already started, or something.

And, be patient. Not just with him, but yourself. I wanna know everything at once, and gotta keep telling myself to just hurry up and wait! (That, and my teacher said you can’t learn everything in one night, too...I kept asking for signs for all sorts of stuff, before class even started last time LOL)

There's my two cents :)

ASL signs
lisa lisa said:
I just started dating the most wonderful deaf guy. I want to learn to sign so I can communicate better with him. What is the best way to learn ASL??? I also would like to know if there is anything that is offensive or taboo that I should avoid. I am currently studying an ASL dictonary and am confussed about the multiple signs for words, any advise??? Thank You in advance for any help you can give me! :dunno:

There is library that you can go sign languages book (s).
and.. there is basic.. ASL on website..
ASL signs
wish you the best .. takes alot of patiences..

Good luck ! :)

A little help

In some ways ASL is like English. Pick up a good dictionary and look up the word 'strike'. There's so many definitions that someone just learning English would want to quit. I've seen a ton of signs for 'birthday' and 'Christmas'.

The thing to keep in mind is concepts. You don't sign 'saving money' the same way you would sign 'The firemen saved two people from the burning house.' Try to be patient. You didn't learn English overnight and you won't learn ASL overnight either. Hang in there and good luck.

Here's another post that might help:
http://alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=28654

Back